Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: A Happy Ending

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Happy Ending

A Happy Ending-screen-shot-2015-03-13-10-41-jpgA Happy Ending-screen-shot-2015-03-13-10-41-1-jpg

In 2010, I was in Louisiana, going through my deceased parentsí things, preparing to sell their house. I found a wedding ring with 2 sets of initials and the wedding date. A note with it said that the ring was found by my dadís sister in her flower bed. The wedding date was in 1950, and my aunt found it around 1960. Since I had recently become interested in ancestry research, I thought that it would be a cinch to find out to whom the ring belonged. After six years of searching I finally learned the identity of the young couple. During my search I assumed that the owner of the ring had either lived at the house where the ring was found, or knew someone who had lived there. I was in for a big surprise.

A local TV station did a short video on the story.

5 minute video - click on the 2nd picture of the wedding ring in this link:

https://www.ktbs.com/news/first-news...0e3c0d224.html

Susan

P.S.
    Iím sure my aunt gave the ring to my father so he could locate the owner, but he obviously had no luck.

Dallas, Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a cool story, Susan! I love that you were so persistent in locating the owner. That was a real gift for Ethel and a very kind thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Amy;162208]What a cool story, Susan! I love that you were so persistent in locating the owner. That was a real gift for Ethel and a very kind thing to do.

Thanks, Amy. I was even searching marriage records, etc. in your neck of the woods. Susan

Washington State
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a terrific story and truly happy ending, Susan! Thanks so much for sharing. You certainly blessed Miss Ethyl with your persistence and hard work! ��

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Bubmum - Looking for the name of the ring owner was really a pleasant challenge for the most part. Knowing that anyone who married in 1950 would no doubt be at least 84 years old in 2016, when I found the wedding picture, I worried that neither bride nor groom would likely be alive. And if there were no children, who would be that interested? Luckily, my next search included complete names and a 50th anniversary picture of the couple appeared. They had 5 children and lots of grandchildren. Sadly there was an obituary for Ethel's husband in 2003. Next I was searching for a current address and I found one at a senior type residence. When I called the office, it was only then that I found out that Ethel was still living and that she was mentally just fine. I was so excited but I couldn't tell the receptionist or Ethel the real reason I was calling. They would have thought me to be a scammer or worse. I had to calmly tell Ethel my name and that I was from Shreveport and who my parents were, etc. Finally I couldn't hold back anymore and I told her that my aunt found her husband's wedding ring. It was then that I learned how the ring ended up in my aunt's flower garden. For the past few days, Ethel had spent "the worst week of her life" with some new medical problems. She said that the good news about her husband's ring was timed just right.

Ethel's health improved but we had to wait a few months before we could meet so she could get past all her medical appointments. Her friend told her that she should let the local news station in on the ring story. I arrived in town from Colorado the day before the news event, so we really had not met until we were in front of the camera. She is a wonderful lady with a great sense of humor, and sharp as a tack. We talk to each other long distance. When I return home for a visit, I spend more time with Ethel than I do with my family!

Washington State
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is just terrific, Susan! Thanks for more of the back story! I told my mom about this and she was delighted, too! Smilie Smilie Smilie

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Susan, what a wonderful story!!!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for sharing this with us @SusanM

It's a really cool story and I'm glad the news featured it.

It reminds me: a month or so ago I received a letter in the mail from a person who had found Ichiro's identification tag on a hiking trail (it fell off when the split ring attaching the tag to his collar came apart) and had enclosed it along with a letter saying he hoped Ichiro was okay. I thought it was pretty cool he took the time to do that and planned to respond to thank him and let him know Ichiro is happy as can be (and still hiking miles at a time at age 14!) Then things got busy and I forgot about writing back to him. I'm going to sit down right now and write that note.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.