1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Food bars that aren't too sweet

Any food bars that people recommend?

I'm looking for meal replacements, not desserts. The Larabars have been popular among people on these forums, but they are too sweet for me. The only exception has been the Larabar Nut & Seed bar, which I had a few months ago and remember finding to be tolerable. I am trying to track down some more to try.

Same with KIND bars. I like the concept of something made out of nuts, but they are very sugary. For a while they had savory versions, but I haven't seen these lately.

Also recently, I tried out the EPIC meat bars. At the Trader Joe's I was visiting, they only had two flavors, neither of which was perfect. However, it was close. The bison & bacon version was just kind of 'meh'. The sriracha chicken tasted good but was super-spicy. I think I would have liked something a little milder.

Any others?

Thanks!
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larabars are too sweet for me, too.

I've become a fan of Rx Bars lately: simple ingredients (like egg whites, dates, nuts) and no gluten, soy, dairy, or genetically-modified stuff.

While not savory or meat-based, they do have lots of flavors to choose from. (Of the ones I have tried, the Chocolate Sea Salt is the standout.) Love their dense, chewy texture.
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 07-11-2018 at 08:19 PM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like CORE meals bars and don't find them to be too sweet. My two favorite flavors are Cashew Cocoa and Sunflower Carob. I've seen them in Whole Foods in the refrigerated section with the milk and such.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Those look good.
    I'm not sure how these would survive my upcoming trip, because I'll be in a hot climate without refrigeration, but I really like the ethos of the company and all the good work they do. Will give them a try for my next hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I like CORE meals bars and don't find them to be too sweet. My two favorite flavors are Cashew Cocoa and Sunflower Carob. I've seen them in Whole Foods in the refrigerated section with the milk and such.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking for something similar in concept to the EPIC bars, I think the Tanka bars, especially the bison cranberry, have a good flavor. Tanka Bar :: Real Food :: Real People Other protein snacks that I think are good are the Seabear salmon pouches with crackers: https://www.seabear.com/product-cate...at-wild-salmon or the Trader Joe's oven baked cheese bites.

Good luck!
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I'm a little queasy about eating bison. I feel bad to be nibbling on such a large, majestic animal. It might be better if they didn't put the picture on the front of the bar I prefer the chicken one, if they would go easier on the sriracha. There's a BBQ flavor as well. If I can find it next time I get to a Whole Foods I will give that one a try.

Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    If you are looking for something similar in concept to the EPIC bars, I think the Tanka bars, especially the bison cranberry, have a good flavor. Tanka Bar :: Real Food :: Real People Other protein snacks that I think are good are the Seabear salmon pouches with crackers: https://www.seabear.com/product-cate...at-wild-salmon or the Trader Joe's oven baked cheese bites.

Good luck!
    ----
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This suggestion won't help you now with your current quest, but might help you in the future, so I thought I would pass it along anyway.

Here is the recipe for Ellie Krieger's "Nutty Oat Bars". They feel to me more like "dessert" as opposed to "meal", which is also true for me for Larabars and Kind bars. But both of those are too sweet for me, and I like this recipe. The sweetness comes from maple syrup & applesauce. I do find them very filling because of all the nuts and oats.

Nutty Oat Bars - Ellie Krieger
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K9TB View Post
    Here is the recipe for Ellie Krieger's "Nutty Oat Bars".
    I really like Ellie Krieger's recipes. Thanks for posting that one.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a low sugar one, the HEALTH WARRIOR CHIA BAR:

https://www.healthwarrior.com

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bchaplin, you may like the Turkey Almond Cranberry Epic bar. It's rather dry, particularly compared to the chicken ones, but the most neutral/least offending I've found of the bunch. (I've tried them all but the Venison and Boar; just haven't seen them yet.)