Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    On the shores of Lake Erie
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors, pics always welcome)? Black halcyon/island SK, Small DOP inside.
    What are you reading? Robin Cook’s Jack Stapleton series
    What are you playing or watching (movies, theatre, video games, etc.)? all the WWII movies on Netflix, no matter which language
    What are you listening to? Quite the mix. Disney, Les Miserables (French & English versions), Irish stuff, Metallica, 90’s alternative, Beatles, classical music, Savatage “Streets: A Rock Opera”, & more.
    What are you cooking/baking/drinking? Takeout all the way, as we all come and go at random times.
    What are you making/creating/doing? I’m not in creativity mode, I’m in reorganization mode
    What travel destinations are on the horizon for you? this year I’ve been to Glasgow & Edinburgh Scotland and Orlando to visit. I’ve been a few other random places for specific reasons (no sightseeing). Next trip is quick weekend in Louisville, KY. No touristy stuff till next summer in Vancouver, I think.

Bonus Question: What's one of your favorite pieces of media (art, songs/albums, poem, TV series, video game, play, etc.)? The Little Prince, as well as almost anything by Jack London or Mark Twain.

eastern Washington
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm going to go with poem "Sea Fever" by John Masefield.
    I love this poem! My Dad sailed the waters of Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands for 50 years. I ended his eulogy with the last verse of this poem.

eastern Washington
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    carrying - grass TC in a black halcyon/island SK
    reading - Pinker's The Better Angels of our Nature
    watching - The Daily Show, Mariners baseball
    listening - Pandora, Google music
    cooking/baking/drinking - Cooking - I'm not. Afternoon temps are in the triple digits so I do a lot of salads. Drinking - Washington roses.
    making/doing - Cycling and walking. Making knit mittens, hats and shawls.
    travel destination - Seattle area for my brother's memorial service in August and again in September for the RHS 50 year reunion.

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Food/Drink: learning to cook Indian food with my new InstaPot
    If you don't already have it, I *highly* recommend "Indian Instant Pot" by Urvashi Pitre. It's an amazing cookbook. We love Indian food and I love my instant pot.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly S View Post
    If you don't already have it, I *highly* recommend "Indian Instant Pot" by Urvashi Pitre. It's an amazing cookbook. We love Indian food and I love my instant pot.
    That's it! I read about her in passing, read up more about the cookbook, and then bought the book & the InstaPot. After reading it, I found my local natural foods store and got all the spices so that I could make my own garam masala, and off I went!

Elkhart, IN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors, pics always welcome)?

- I recently have purchased WF ballistic black/northwest sky 200 halcyon as my EDC. Yes. it is too big for EDC but i don't know i just dived into WF from 3month ago and now I carry it these days. it's big and bulky as you know but still somehow working well so far with backpack mode. with freudian slip and absolute strap also. i am looking at adding side kick.

What are you reading?

- 2 Thessalonians.

What are you playing or watching (movies, theatre, video games, etc.)?

- board game named splendor. I recommend it. Also i purchased a toy for my son at Barnes and Noble, which is something like catch ball stuff but the ball is made of thick rope and glove is wooden stick. I forgot the name of the toy. does anyone know name of this? it is a quite fun stuff also.

What are you listening to?

- Walter Rodrigues jr, Yohan Kim, from youtube. both of them play jazzy hymnal.

What are you cooking/baking/drinking?

- Korean BBQ / sodas

What are you making/creating/doing?

- until today, it has been summer vacation! I need to come back to work from tomorrow!

What travel destinations are on the horizon for you?

- no horizon anymore. I went PA and MI for two weeks. it was restful.

Bonus Question: What's one of your favorite pieces of media (art, songs/albums, poem, TV series, video game, play, etc.)?

- again, board game splendor, youtube, psalm, korean bbq, ...

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Side Kick in Mars Red / Dawn is getting a lot of use as an inflight bag as Iím travelling every month internationally at the moment. Love how practical it is.

What are you reading?
    Just about to start reading a fantasy book by an author who works in my office. Looking forward to reading something from someone I know.

Just bought a Nintendo 2DS XL and loving the retro feel of handheld gaming (not on a phone). Iím of the Original GameBoy generation so itís all a bit retro for me.

Cloud Nine by Kygo is my go to album when working.

Lots of Gin and Tonic

Iíve actually stopped my creative side projects at the moment. And Iím really happy about it. Iím spending a lot more time with the kids instead.

With all my air miles, hoping to take the extended family to Disney in Florida. Just saving up for the accommodation but getting the flights for free will make the trip much more affordable for 6 people.

Bonus Question: What's one of your favorite pieces of media (art, songs/albums, poem, TV series, video game, play, etc.)?
    A generic answer here but weíre rediscovering traditional table top games at the moment. Anything with dice or this game called push it. PUSH IT-Home. Loving the simple nature of these types of games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To and from work I'm carrying a Navy Cordura Daylight Briefcase at the moment. Just the right size for back and forth. On the weekends and evenings I usually have a Pop Tote along for the ride.

What are you reading?
    The last couple days it's been the latest issue of The Fretboard Journal.

My wife and I recently watched the second season of The Handmaid's Tale. (shiver)

Lots of NPR in the car, and lots of different music in the kitchen.

We have a sweet little garden in the backyard that feeds us about 2-3 nights a week right now (lettuce, arugula, kale, lots of herbs). Since it's so hot it's usually a salad with a delicious yogurt herb dressing I like to make. Pair that with it being fresh salmon season in the PNW and I'm happy as can be, many days in a row.

Puppy training for days. We welcomed a little friend to our home two months ago and he's consuming *all* of our spare time. Levi has more than doubled in size since we've had him and he's a very good boy!

Not traveling very far for a long time- see the answer directly above

This question strikes deep with my inner-nerdiness-- this is kinda obscure.
    I'm a really big bluegrass music fan and there's a recording from the mid-70's of two iconic musicians playing together, which in all my searching never happened prior or since. It was a concert in Nashville by The Country Gentlemen and it was common in those times to have other musicians come play a couple songs while the main band was on break. At this concert, Norman Blake (one of my two all-time favorite musicians) had played one of these set breaks with another musician- Tut Taylor. And during the second break, Norman played with Bill Monroe- the father of bluegrass music himself. What would normally be just a couple songs stretched to about 45 mins of exciting and superbly played bluegrass standards. Tut had a tendency to record all of these concerts back in the day and thankfully, he recorded this one too. That 45 mins is one of my favorite pieces of media in existence. Of course, being 2018, it's on YouTube now- here's one of the best songs if you're interested: Sally Goodin'
    Last edited by MikeV; 07-25-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's time again for that perennial favorite, "what are you carrying"!

What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors, pics always welcome)? UV LSB playing marsupial to a ton of TB accessories as EDC. Swift Nordic/UV to nicer venues (everything from the LSB can quickly be transferred to the Swift)
    What are you reading? Went on a shopping spree at the local bookstore to grab all non fiction: Seeds (history of), Marilyn in New York, autobiography of Patricia McConnell ( a lady who has changed the way people interact with dogs),
    What are you playing or watching (movies, theatre, video games, etc.)? PBS
    What are you listening to? Ellington orchestra pieces
    What are you cooking/baking/drinking? Tortillas pre-made which I fill with yummy stuff. No Baking. Tea Earl Grey Decaf room temperature.
    What are you making/creating/doing? Making faux stainless glass panels with, watercolor pencils, tracing paper and Dover Books of Flower and other fun subjects.
    What travel destinations are on the horizon for you? I was promised a return trip to Seattle, I need to check whales' travel to time it right.

Bonus Question: What's one of your favorite pieces of media (art, songs/albums, poem, TV series, video game, play, etc.)? Tracing Copperplate letters from instruction books to improve my handwriting.
    Last edited by backpack; 07-26-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These threads are so much fun to read! Here's my contribution:

* A kiwi Swift for work. I store it where I can feast my eye on the green perfection that is Kiwi.
    * Monarch SSB pre-packed with things for motorcycle rides. It's such a handy size, I can't wait to get more. Inside, an Alphaviolet cubelet corrals little things.
    * On walks I carry a grass cubelet on a 5/8" strap that barely holds my phone and keys. Shorts have useless pockets.

No TB PLO for summer. I pull out a favorite bag with elephants on it for a few months, and then switch back to something more practical. I may switch early this year.

What are you reading, playing or watching? Nothin'. I'm busy with making and doing this summer. And visiting this forum.

What are you listening to? The British History Podcast is my latest favorite podcast.

What are you cooking/baking/drinking? Lots of grilled chicken, keep that heat outdoors! And brewed iced tea which I like with fresh mint.

What are you making/creating/doing? Lots of gardening and yard work. I built three new raised beds in June, put in new plantings, built a 3-bin composter. I'm nearly done patching and painting my hallway walls (I started that one two summers ago!). Next month I'll start remodeling the kitchen. I've been looking forward to that since we bought the house 9 years ago.

What travel destinations are on the horizon for you? Like @sturbridge I'm headed to Acadia! I can't wait. Then there'll be a family get-together at my IL's cabin on the Canadian border. The kitchen project is crowding out my camping time, but maybe I'll get in a weekend along the Kancamagus Hwy this Fall.

Bonus Question: What's one of your favorite pieces of media?
    @Rocks, it's the summer for sculpture gardens! A few weeks ago I went to one on an old ski hill and fell in love. I can't choose a single favorite piece but I was particularly drawn to a series of works in an old quarry on the property.

edited with missing link. And commas.
    Last edited by twosandalz; 07-26-2018 at 11:46 AM.

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have so many now, but right this moment I'm switching between a burnt orange/UV large swift and an aubergine/steel maker's bag (for school). I'm really loving how the swift balances on my arm without being heavy and hot.

What are you reading?
    In a reading slump currently but I am listening to Magic Slays by Ilona Andrews on audible

I just saw Mamma Mia 2 (AWESOME! But seriously, bring tissues) and Ant Man 2 (disappointing). Currently watching The Closer on Prime video.

Aside from audiobooks that help to alleviate boredom on my commutes, I'm loving the MM2 soundtrack. "Kiss of Fire" is so cheesy that I love it more.

It's WAY too hot to cook or bake in my house right now with the A/C out...so takeout and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I love iced coffee and HUGE glasses of ice cold water.

Absolutely nothing. I've been taking some Summer classes so I can graduate in the Spring, and the double time workload has been a killer. I'm looking forward to three weeks of sudoku and maybe reading an urban fantasy novel.

I'm headed to Seattle next week to be a tourist. Sometime next Spring I'll be traveling around Oregon through the Pendleton and Portland areas.

I'm in love with the Field of Dreams soundtrack, and most especially "The Place Where Dreams Come True."
    Last edited by crossedbooker; 07-26-2018 at 02:53 PM. Reason: forgot to answer a question
    Aubergine/steel MB, Aubergine/wasabi pilot , Aubergine/island SE, Aubergine/NWS Lswift, Black/fjord Sswift, Alphaviolet/NWS S25, Alphaviolet/viridian SK, Black/UV S19...and buying more! Aubergine and Alphaviolet lover!!!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This question strikes deep with my inner-nerdiness-- this is kinda obscure.
    I'm a really big bluegrass music fan and there's a recording from the mid-70's of two iconic musicians playing together, which in all my searching never happened prior or since. It was a concert in Nashville by The Country Gentlemen and it was common in those times to have other musicians come play a couple songs while the main band was on break. At this concert, Norman Blake (one of my two all-time favorite musicians) had played one of these set breaks with another musician- Tut Taylor. And during the second break, Norman played with Bill Monroe- the father of bluegrass music himself. What would normally be just a couple songs stretched to about 45 mins of exciting and superbly played bluegrass standards. Tut had a tendency to record all of these concerts back in the day and thankfully, he recorded this one too. That 45 mins is one of my favorite pieces of media in existence. Of course, being 2018, it's on YouTube now- here's one of the best songs if you're interested: Sally Goodin' [/QUOTE]

Wonderful music!

Please, please share a picture of Levi.
    Last edited by backpack; 07-26-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Are You Carrying? Summer Heat Edition (7/2018)

Ever since I got my Black Halcyon / UV Parental Unit in April, I haven't left the house with anything else. I love this bag so very much. It makes sense to me. I wrote about it here:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...ost161500.html

I use the PU so much, I owe a sincere apology to my beloved Side Kicks, my S25, and my discontinued color A45 PCBPs, none of which have left the house since the PU arrived. I can only say, in my defense, that I may want backpacks more when I am out of the stroller years.

What are you reading?
    How Democracies Die by Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt
    We Were Eight Years in Power by Ta-Nehisi Coates

GLOW Season 2 on Netflix. Eagerly awaiting the next season of The Good Place.

I primarily listen to podcasts: Kermode and Mayo's Film Review, WTF with Marc Maron, Happier w Gretchen Rubin, and RuPaul's What's The Tee With Michelle Visage.

Lately if I put on music it will be my 'Lady Singers' playlist which includes indie and pop of the last few decades. The name came about because I played a song I liked for my husband and he said, "that sounds like a song you would like. A woman is singing and there is a piano." That song was Again & Again by the bird and the bee, though my husband' primary frame of reference was probably my enduring love of Martha Wainwright.

I had a Rekorderlig Grapefruit and Rosemary cider the other night and it was just what I needed after a long, hot day out.

I am working on a super secret Christmas knitting project for the amazing crew of a very special US-based company.

York and Edinburgh, by train. Probably a NFTD or S25 job, depending on if we are out of this dry heatwave by then and I actually need to pack layers instead of just shorts.

It's a sad song but Proserpina by Martha Wainwright. It is about a mother who lost a daughter but it was written and recorded after Martha lost her mother, Kate McGarrigle.
    Last edited by Cristina; 07-26-2018 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Typo

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Please, please share a picture of Levi.
    Our new friend

What Are You Carrying? Summer Heat Edition (7/2018)-levi-2-jpg

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    What are you reading?

just finished A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas, a great re-imagining of Sherlock Holmes.
    I'm waiting for book 3 to come out!

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird View Post
    What are you reading? ďLeaving Everything Most LovedĒ by Jacqueline Winspear (love me a good woman detective)
    Ooohhh! Thanks for the new author! My public library has her books!

Theresa in Indy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast