Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Share
    Yorkshire, England, UK
    Posts
    38
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    holiday to Seattle?

    Has anyone ever travelled to Seattle for a holiday and the distinct opportunity of visiting the TB factory?

    Im in the UK, and would love to visit Washington State.

    Smilie
    Tom Bihn Newbie- HAVE: Synapse 19 (cloud grey & Island blue)
    WISHLIST: Medium cafe bag, Synapse 25, travel tray, 13 inch MacBook cache, iPad mini cache, Aeronaut 45 (grey/&UV), Spiff Kit, Side Kick

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Share
    Alaska
    Posts
    670
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I've visited a few times when I have a layover in Seattle. Over the holidays I had a ukulele with me, so I played "Jingle Bells" for the Crew because they are so awesome!

    There is lots to do in Seattle and Washington is beautiful. Check out the old blog posts for a list of activities and restaurant suggestions. You will have a great time and you can get your wishlist items! elisa

  3. #3
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Share
    SF Bay area
    Posts
    1,668
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to Bellingham, WA last year, a couple hours north of Seattle. I arranged my flight so that I could land early and visit the showroom right after it had opened. After reading about the TB products on line, I wanted to see them in person before buying... Cody took care of showing me all the goodies... I bought a SE and signed up for alerts for out of stock items I wanted.
    This year I'm going back in November and plan on stopping by again...

    There's a ton to do in Seattle and around WA, especially if you love the outdoors...and being from Yorkshire, you'll understand rain and how to dress in layers!
    Smilie

  4. #4
    Forum Member Muni_Jedi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Share
    MA USA
    Posts
    308
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got home from Seattle. Unfortunately, the stars didn't align to allow me to get out to TB.

    If you're at all thinking about going there, DO IT! What a wonderful city with so many things to do and see. If you have kids (I have 4 under 10) it is one of most kid friendly places we've been. There are plenty of attractions and events that kids and parents will enjoy.

    The food and beer are fantastic, come to think of it I'm not sure why I came back.
    DogBikeSpringRainbowTengu

  5. #5
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Share
    The far west
    Posts
    6,001
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muni_Jedi View Post
    Just got home from Seattle. Unfortunately, the stars didn't align to allow me to get out to TB.

    If you're at all thinking about going there, DO IT! What a wonderful city with so many things to do and see. If you have kids (I have 4 under 10) it is one of most kid friendly places we've been. There are plenty of attractions and events that kids and parents will enjoy.

    The food and beer are fantastic, come to think of it I'm not sure why I came back.
    I'm bummed you didn't get to visit us but glad our city treated you well! And totally re: kid/family things to do..... and so often the attractions, like the Museum of Flight, are things people of all ages will find interesting.

    Hearing about how much you guys enjoyed Seattle makes me wonder... has your family been to the Exploratorium in San Francisco? If not and if it's ever possible, I think it's worth it to go to SF even if just to visit the Exploratorium. Smilie
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

  6. #6
    Forum Member RDR3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    339
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our family was there this past March and had a fabulous time! We plan on being back, when it's warmer Smilie
    Yes, we did make sure a visit to the factory is a must and my brood still tease me about it when they see a TB box arrive at home. "You mean there's something you didn't buy when we were there in March?"

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    207
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't been to TB, but have been to Seattle and vicinity and hope to visit again. Great area with lots to see. We stayed both in Seattle proper for city exploration and in Tacoma to explore the broader area.

    In the city, the one tourist attraction I recommend as a must-see is the Seattle Underground -- quite fascinating. ETA: I should add, I don't know how historically accurate the tour info provided during the tour is; might've been rather hinky at times. But getting to see the underground architecture is very cool.

    If you're not averse to driving on the right, it's also worth renting a car to explore the area towns and forests and volcanoes. I remember enjoying driving through Snoqualmie Pass in particular because it's a wide, easy drive where you get to see local mountains without any narrow, nerve-racking, edge-of-a-cliff roadways (though someone please correct me if I'm misremembering that!).
    Last edited by kmw; 07-25-2018 at 01:04 PM.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Share
    London, England
    Posts
    3
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doing exactly that! Stumbled on the website and fell in love with the bags. But when I looked at the shipping and import costs and then thought, to heck with it, why not go and see Seattle!

    Everyone thinks I am crazy as the flight from London is 10 hours. But Seattle and TB will be worth it, right?!?

  9. #9
    Forum Member SIM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    207
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy_belle88 View Post
    Has anyone ever travelled to Seattle for a holiday and the distinct opportunity of visiting the TB factory?

    Im in the UK, and would love to visit Washington State.

    Smilie
    We have made TB a destination while passing through Seattle on a trip to Washington state but have not made a trip just so we could go to TB. Itís definitely worth the stop.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,092
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seattle is just wonderful!

    From the landscape (sea, lakes, locks, mountains, forests, peaks...) to museums, the proximity of National Parks, the diverse cuisines...

    And there is the Mothership, aka the TB Factory. Every time, I get to the last turn to the street where the factory is, I feel so elated, I would fail a blood pressure test.

    This is a post called Seattle Recommendations, it has great info from travelers, the Crew and links to Blog Posts "What to do in Seattle?"

    https://forums.tombihn.com/not-about...endations.html

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Share
    London, England
    Posts
    3
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Seattle is just wonderful!

    From the landscape (sea, lakes, locks, mountains, forests, peaks...) to museums, the proximity of National Parks, the diverse cuisines...

    And there is the Mothership, aka the TB Factory. Every time, I get to the last turn to the street where the factory is, I feel so elated, I would fail a blood pressure test.

    This is a post called Seattle Recommendations, it has great info from travelers, the Crew and links to Blog Posts "What to do in Seattle?"

    https://forums.tombihn.com/not-about...endations.html

    Thanks backpack, will have a look. Will be there in 5 weeks! :-) :-) :-)

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Share
    Idaho
    Posts
    53
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm waiting at Seatac right now to fly home after spending 5 days here. And I flew in specifically to see the showroom. Smilie Kat is lovely on the phone, and Cody helped me get my bag fix. There are lots of amazing things to do in Seattle too though. I totally recommend the Chihuly Gardens.
    Aubergine/steel MB, Aubergine/wasabi pilot , Aubergine/island SE, Aubergine/NWS Lswift, Black/fjord Sswift, Alphaviolet/NWS S25, Alphaviolet/viridian SK, Black/UV S19...and buying more! Smilie Aubergine and Alphaviolet lover!!!

  13. #13
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Share
    SF Bay area
    Posts
    1,668
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any advice for a decent (safe, clean) hotel near SeaTac? My next trip is in November & I'll be renting a car... arriving on a Thrs morning so that I can visit the TB mothership, then spending a long weekend in Bellingham (I'm considering moving there)....

    My flight back is crack 'o dawn Monday morning, so I'd like a place to crash Sunday night where I am safe, clean, and it's semi-reasonably priced - no need for splashy downtown amenities, so I can get to SeaTac early without major traffic worries...

    Any local suggestions? Thanks!

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,092
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Any advice for a decent (safe, clean) hotel near SeaTac? My next trip is in November & I'll be renting a car... arriving on a Thrs morning so that I can visit the TB mothership, then spending a long weekend in Bellingham (I'm considering moving there)....

    My flight back is crack 'o dawn Monday morning, so I'd like a place to crash Sunday night where I am safe, clean, and it's semi-reasonably priced - no need for splashy downtown amenities, so I can get to SeaTac early without major traffic worries...

    Any local suggestions? Thanks!
    I have stayed at the Springhill Suites closest to Seatac, it was brand new, I was very happy.

    I tried to book it for our last trip, but, they only allowed pre-booking at $89/night with no cancellation or rebooking possible.

    It seems that the quality of every hotel around SEATAC has diminished since it has become a major hub, not only for Western U.S and over the Pacific destinations, but also a cruise ship and college/bachelor(ettes) party city.

    In many review websites, many people who have very early morning flights complained of partying in the rooms and noises in the corridors.

    This might have been the impulse behind the no-refund advance booking.

    If you can sleep on the plane, select the motel/hotel with the most reliable shuttle.

    If you have reward points, use them to book the lowest price room in the highest rated SEATAC hotel.

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Share
    davenport, ia
    Posts
    277
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we stayed at a Hampton Inn near SeaTac about a week and a half ago (the one on international blvd; there are two hamptons very close to one another, as we found out when I accidentally messed up a Lyft rideís destination, oops). it was very clean and quiet, and the included breakfast and airport shuttle got us on our way back to chicago early the next morning, on time and with full bellies. it is right by one of the light rail stations, also (angle lake, I think??)

    we didnít get a chance to visit the mothership this time, but I will almost certainly be back sooner than later!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •