Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post

I would be mainly using avocados as a base for savory and banana for sweet , I 'd rather the consistency be like a pudding than completely liquid, but I might have to do true liquid for some time.

Is it possible to buy an extra bowl for a Vitamix without the motor? At Costco?

Organicfarmer what do you mean by powders?
    By powders for the ice cream cubes, I meant nonfat dry milk powder.

Extra container at Costco. I have seen at the Vitamix traveling road show at Costco (happens about every 2 months), I have seen low profile 48 oz wet container available individually and the 32 oz dry grains container individually. ("Wet" container is standard type, it pulls the ingredients down into the blade for blending, a "Dry" container has a blade that tosses the ingredient upwards for grain grinding) At those times prices were slightly better than vitamix directly. You can buy all the containers separately right from vitamix. One time an internet search lead me to QVC and they had an individual container for $50 compared to $99-129. I like the 32oz wet container for 1 person size smoothies - only above 8oz minimum for good blending.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    when I was in high school, my two best friends each had major jaw surgery (break jaw, add or subtract bone, slide jaw around, wire shut)... one fixed a massive underbite and one fixed an huge overbite... obviously impacted their eating enough to require surgery to fix...
    they were on liquid diets through a straw for month or so and did fine...
    whatever type of procedure you're getting, I'm sure it's no fun, but you'll power through! And plan your favorite meal for when you can safely chew again...

be gentle with the temperature extremes - both hot & cold - until you see what your healing mouth is happy with

nowadays there are all sorts of protein powders, fruits, veg, soups etc - you can do so many more things than live on Ensure as everyone chiming in has shown

so @backpack, just wanted to wish you luck and tell you to hang in there!

(and be careful web surfing at TB...no squealing with joy at any cool new colour combo - it might hurt!)

I also have an overbite, but it is slight. In my teen, they tried to get me to use a retainer (sp?) that was badly fitted, it really hurt and I lost it as fast as I could.
    I had very strong baby teeth that refused to get loose, so, the majority had to be removed.
    You might guess that by my 20's, I developed strong negative feelings for dental offices.

I spent a lot of time finding good one(s), because university and subsequent moves meant hunting for new health professionals.

I have seen big packages or tubs of protein powder, what are they made of?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timarelay View Post
    I have a Vitamix Professional 750 with a 64oz container. It's quite a beast! I was pleasantly surprised to find that peanut butter (and other nut butters) taste just as good blended with berries as it does on a sandwich! Bananas and oats are great for adding more fluff/creaminess to smoothies, and spinach adds a pleasantly mild fresh green note but is overall overpowered by fruit (mango and spinach is a tasty combination). Avocado is great for fat, but is really tough to blend straight from frozen!
    I have frozen blueberries and tahini (sesame seeds butter) on the stand by in the freezer and pantry.

Tahini has the same consistency and flavor as nut butters and I tolerate it well. Avocado are fresh, I get them from Trader Joes, every 2 weeks and put it in them in the fridge.

I can't have oats, black pepper or any spicy ingredient.

Yours, Darcy's and everyone's recipes are a great help, keep them coming!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly S View Post
    I have a nutribullet pro, the size varies based on what size cup you purchase. I think it comes with a 20 oz cup, but it might be a 16 oz.
    I like it a lot, and I think it's a great budget friendly option to the higher priced super blenders.

Previously, I had a Ninja blender, I *hated* that thing. We replaced it when the blades started chipping off into our smoothies (not good eats!)
    Kelly S, the thin dangerous blades vision is a good mnemotechnique image to remember to stay away from the Ninja blender.

Thanks so much for the warning and the Nutribullet pro recommendation.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen big packages or tubs of protein powder, what are they made of?
    Check the label for ingredients, but they are usually made of whey, soy, pea, or casein... A lot of those huge tubs are marketed to weight lifters.
    In the normal course of life in the states, most people get enough protein (according to the nutritionists)... but if you're doing major weight lifting or can't chew solids, the powders are useful to add to a smoothie. Read the labels and do some research to get the least amount of additives or extra fillers... some are needed or else the powder would be a solid clump.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Check the label for ingredients, but they are usually made of whey, soy, pea, or casein... A lot of those huge tubs are marketed to weight lifters.
    In the normal course of life in the states, most people get enough protein (according to the nutritionists)... but if you're doing major weight lifting or can't chew solids, the powders are useful to add to a smoothie. Read the labels and do some research to get the least amount of additives or extra fillers... some are needed or else the powder would be a solid clump.
    Well, shlepping my EDC in the ultra hot weather might qualify as weight lifting.

Whey, I keep forgetting what it is, a byproduct of cheese production.

I can always use yogurt, kefir or buttermilk with my fruits and veggies.

Thinking up recipes is a good way to alleviate nervousness.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking up recipes is a good way to alleviate nervousness.
    The internet is a treasure of smoothie recipes. The fun I have is trying a recipe, taking a small sample, and then adding ingredients to fit my flavor. Also, sometimes things that don't sound like a good combination can somehow become blend together beautifully. Don't underestimate how much spices and herbs can expand a smoothie's flavor palette.

Forum Member
    Denver, CO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been making great smoothies for 45 years. Used an Oster Professional for years and for the last twelve, a Vitamix 5200 with extra dry grinder. Love the machine! Secret to making the best smoothies and getting really good at it... always leave it out on the counter, keep the ingredients always in the house and experiment with it regularly. I've given Vitamix to nephews for their wedding gifts and they too are enjoying the benefits of healthy foods. Enjoy your smoothies!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Climb14er View Post
    Been making great smoothies for 45 years. Used an Oster Professional for years and for the last twelve, a Vitamix 5200 with extra dry grinder. Love the machine! Secret to making the best smoothies and getting really good at it... always leave it out on the counter, keep the ingredients always in the house and experiment with it regularly. I've given Vitamix to nephews for their wedding gifts and they too are enjoying the benefits of healthy foods. Enjoy your smoothies!
    So amazing that you have so much experience with them!

Can you share recipes that use avocados as bases for savory blends and bananas as bases of sweet blends?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2