Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next Generation of One bagger... next step TB introduction

So, this past week we had a family gathering where all descended upon my parentsí house. My 10 year old niece ran up to me and said, ďAuntie! Auntie! I didnít bring my ginormous suitcase! I fit everything into my school bag for the week! Look!Ē I was so proud the kids really did listen to my ďhow to pack and not break your backĒ lecture the other week.Smilie.
    Seriously, my sisterís family had always used the largest sized rolling suitcases for every trip. This year they did a 3 week family trip and brought a huge amount of luggage. I asked the kids (10 and 15) how it went and they said everything was great except for having to schlep all the bags. I asked them if they wanted a little lesson in packing from me. It was cool they were excited as I was... I love to play with my travel gear between travels. Anyway, I brought my A30, A45, a Cotopaxi Allpa 40, a cabin rolling bag from B&R, and some edc bags I marsupial into the other main bags (Dlbp, Patagonia lightweight courier, north face purse, collapsible grocery bag). Seriously, I brought all my toys over. Packing cubes, stuff sacks technology wranglers... for an example I even brought my sample gear for a week or two of travel (capsule clothing outfits and tech).

It went great we did practice packs with the kids gear and what they would bring with them for a trip for a week. Folding strategies for maximizing your space with in the bag. And a filter mode of what you donít need when traveling. In the end they were mesmerized and were convinced they could do onebag travel, too. Well, smaller bag. I gifted them each some packing cubes (including Some TB OPs) and smaller bags. Timbuk2 jetpack for the nephew(15) and a small roller for the niece(10). They both want more TB gear and have added their wants to the Christmas wishlist.
    Iíve already been asked to lend them my A30... they promise to give it back.

I was seriously tickled by the Kiddios excitement and thought Iíd share. Iím sure all you families how transitioned to traveling lighter than before can totally understand. Iíd love to hear more of your stories on how you transitioned your family to traveling lighter. And bonus, getting your kid to carry their own stuff.
    Last edited by babblinbeanz; 08-26-2018 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Typos!

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babblinbeanz View Post
    So, this past week we had a family gathering where all descended upon my parentsí house. My 10 year old niece ran up to me and said, ďAuntie! Auntie! I didnít bring my ginormous suitcase! I fit everything into my school bag for the week! Look!Ē I was so proud the kids really did listen to my ďhow to pack and not break your backĒ lecture the other week.Smilie.
    Seriously, my sisterís family had always used the largest sized rolling suitcases for every trip. This year they did a 3 week family trip and brought a huge amount of luggage. I asked the kids (10 and 15) how it went and they said everything was great except for having to schlep all the bags. I asked them if they wanted a little lesson in packing from me. It was cool they were excited as I was... I love to play with my travel gear between travels. Anyway, I brought my A30, A45, a Cotopaxi Allpa 40, a cabin rolling bag from B&R, and some edc bags I marsupial into the other main bags (Dlbp, Patagonia lightweight courier, north face purse, collapsible grocery bag). Seriously, I brought all my toys over. Packing cubes, stuff sacks technology wranglers... for an example I even brought my sample gear for a week or two of travel (capsule clothing outfits and tech).

It went great we did practice packs with the kids gear and what they would bring with them for a trip for a week. Folding strategies for maximizing your space with in the bag. And a filter mode of what you donít need when traveling. In the end they were mesmerized and were convinced they could do onebag travel, too. Well, smaller bag. I gifted them each some packing cubes (including Some TB OPs) and smaller bags. Timbuk2 jetpack for the nephew(15) and a small roller for the niece(10). They both want more TB gear and have added their wants to the Christmas wishlist.
    Iíve already been asked to lend them my A30... they promise to give it back.

I was seriously tickled by the Kiddios excitement and thought Iíd share. Iím sure all you families how transitioned to traveling lighter than before can totally understand. Iíd love to hear more of your stories on how you transitioned your family to traveling lighter. And bonus, getting your kid to carry their own stuff.
    What a lovely story! Thanks for sharing.

California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just happy and I knew this forum would totally get my excitement.

Forum Member
    Arizona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My boyfriend and I went to Japan for just under 2 weeks this summer and when I showed him that I was only taking my old tortuga v2 (waiting for my color to come back in the A30 to buy it) and a day pack, he told me I was making a mistake and that I wouldn't have enough while he was taking a larger rolling checked bag. I ended up introducing him to packing cubes for the trip and of course I ended up having plenty of stuff (I actually still managed to over pack). He ended up filling up his whole suitcase on the way back with figurines and souvenirs so it worked out for him, but he was complaining every time we had to move hotels because he had to carry his big suitcase up and down the stairs to get to the trains while I just had my bag on my back. When we got back he asked me to help him order his own set of packing cubes and help him pack a smaller bag for our next trip. Seeing as I hope to get the A30 soon for my bag, I might try and have him use the v2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son think’s my NFTD is tiny, but ditched his 20” duffle and bought a 1350 in2 weekender bag.

California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMoonMoon View Post
    My boyfriend and I went to Japan for just under 2 weeks this summer and when I showed him that I was only taking my old tortuga v2 (waiting for my color to come back in the A30 to buy it) and a day pack, he told me I was making a mistake and that I wouldn't have enough while he was taking a larger rolling checked bag. I ended up introducing him to packing cubes for the trip and of course I ended up having plenty of stuff (I actually still managed to over pack). He ended up filling up his whole suitcase on the way back with figurines and souvenirs so it worked out for him, but he was complaining every time we had to move hotels because he had to carry his big suitcase up and down the stairs to get to the trains while I just had my bag on my back. When we got back he asked me to help him order his own set of packing cubes and help him pack a smaller bag for our next trip. Seeing as I hope to get the A30 soon for my bag, I might try and have him use the v2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Oh yeah, we went through this at our house, too. I think it was a small boutique hotel with no elevator and a top floor room that really convinced my hubby to try to go as light as possible.
    Last edited by babblinbeanz; 08-26-2018 at 05:08 PM. Reason: english