Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zero Bag Travel

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zero Bag Travel

Has anyone tried just throwing some items in their pockets and walking out the door for their travel? This could be anywhere from an overnight to a week or longer.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    Has anyone tried just throwing some items in their pockets and walking out the door for their travel? This could be anywhere from an overnight to a week or longer.

I've only done this as a day trip - that almost turned into an overnighter - was doing a mileage run and had my wallet, phone, earbuds, and some lip balm with me. Due to some flight delays, I almost got stuck overnight in Salt Lake City, but a friend of mine lives there so I would have survived.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once when I was going to NYC for a night I just threw a few things into my handbag (a tote bag). I was probably about 23 at the time. I can't remember exactly but I can't imagine leaving with less than a toothbrush, face wash&cream, a tshirt, undies and socks. This was probably when I had a flip phone that didn't need recharging every day.

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not intentionally! Lol. I have a scottevest trench with a lot of pockets that could probably hold 10 liters of stuff, but I am pretty sure I would rather offload that much stuff to a bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think hard before trying this with international travel. Not having baggage is one of those things that alerts border officials.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never, but I would love to try it sometime, just for an overnight.

Here is what I would bring: toothbrush, keys, iphone, lip balm, glasses, sunglasses, mini swiss army knife, my roll-up shopping bag (not a TB one, this one rolls up to the size of a D cell battery).

Most everything else, like phone charger and toiletries I could get from my destination (typically family and friends' homes).

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Define travel?

Yes I sat on several international flights (30 hours door to door) with no bag. Well I did have a pilot but that literally only had my passport in it.

I was travelling from work ( mine site where we work for a few weeks at a time ) to home.

I would never travel on a holiday with nothing. Just seems an added stress to get things at destination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not quite no-bag, but I did three days with a PCSB! That was basically a spare shirt/socks/underwear, toothbrush/toothpaste/folding hairbrush/deodorant, phone and charger, and COW.
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep! Not usually planned though. I used to carry just a wallet, lip balm and a jacket in the summer. When hubs and I were out on a day trip and wanted to go further than a day would allow, we'd find a hotel, pick up a toothbrush and soap, and wash our socks and undies in the sink.

But hotels aren't cheap so I started storing my tent and sleeping bags in my car. It came in especially handy when we were too tired to drive home after hiking. Though I suppose the hiking-turned-camping trips weren't technically bag-free because I had my daypack.

Are you thinking about taking a bag-free trip?

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did 3 days at a small conference bringing only my Pilot, so I could pretend it was my purse or briefcase, but it actually held clothing, toiletries and a SE or TC as my purse/wallet.

To truly go bagless, I'd have to wear my Macabi skirt, and I don't relish emptying all the pockets into bins and then stuffing everthing back in my pockets, and then sitting for several hours with all that stuff in my pockets.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should see my EDC.

Ever since I started primary school, I have always carried something for paper, in secondary school, I added a purse for personal things.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ha! I usually can't even walk out the front door for non-travel without a bag, unless it's to walk the dog

That said, I do sometimes think, while traveling, "I'm carrying my passport and credit card. Even if that's all I had, I would manage to finish the trip/make it home/whatever else I am worried about at that moment."
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of my clothes don't have any pockets, or have pockets so small as to be utterly useless.
    I could travel for a day with something like a travel cubelet, which I think is about the same volume as a couple of proper pockets and carrying a water bottle or other container for a drink.
    If I'm traveling longer than a day, I'm going to want things like a change of underwear, some deodorant, etc.
    Realistically, I almost never leave the house without my kid. Little kids (he's 5 years old) tend to require taking extra items, for my kid that includes a kid-sized potty seat. Which means I end up carrying an s25. Without the seat, everything would easily fit in an s19 or smaller.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charger, passport, toothbrush, all that? No.

Even setting aside those things, the thought of doing laundry every single day sounds like a bummer, especially since you wouldn't even have underwear(!) until it dries.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly S View Post
    A lot of my clothes don't have any pockets, or have pockets so small as to be utterly useless.
    I could travel for a day with something like a travel cubelet, which I think is about the same volume as a couple of proper pockets and carrying a water bottle or other container for a drink.
    If I'm traveling longer than a day, I'm going to want things like a change of underwear, some deodorant, etc.
    Realistically, I almost never leave the house without my kid. Little kids (he's 5 years old) tend to require taking extra items, for my kid that includes a kid-sized potty seat. Which means I end up carrying an s25. Without the seat, everything would easily fit in an s19 or smaller.
    I use a folding kiddie toilet seat for my 2yo. It is about the size of a paperback when it is folded, and I keep it in a plastic bag inside my Parental Unit. It would easily fit in a smaller bag though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast