Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That innergie looks nice, I definitely love the size, but it's not USB-IF certified. At that pricepoint it seems weird for the manufacturer not to get it certified.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hadn't noticed that it's not USB-IF certified. I agree that it would be great if it were. Anecdotally, it's been working fine for me, but I definitely recognize the value of objective certification.

Rochester, NY, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No personal experience

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this to charge my phone, battery pack and chromebook (wish my normal laptop had USB C option).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the chromebook, it registers as a low power source so it charges slowly when the chromebook is in use but works fine for charging offline. Its only 30W where my chromebook really needs 45W but it does work.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    I hadn't noticed that it's not USB-IF certified. I agree that it would be great if it were. Anecdotally, it's been working fine for me, but I definitely recognize the value of objective certification.
    My guess is that this charger would meet the USB-IF standards but they just haven't submitted it for certification. At that price point I would be shocked if it doesn't meet the standards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While probably too late for @pvn, I picked up a 75W Satechi earlier this year and it's great for on the road. It has 2 USB C outputs and 2 USB A, I also carry a 12W USB A charger with me which is what I pull out at the airport and use by the bed (I don't want my laptop on the bedside cabinet!) and this setup works pretty well for me. I also have the Mu charger which is what I use "on the go at home".

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just ordered this Baseus 65W 2C 1A charger.

It has received a positive review fromm ChargerLab, but does not appear to be IF certified. I'm looking forward to trying it out. If it works, it could be my only charger.

This Ravpower charger also looks nice for a single port charger, and it has decent reviews as well.

By the seaside, England
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bizarrely, I used to be able to use the 29W power brick from my 12" MacBook to also charge my work Lenovo X280 - it would complain about being low power, but would then carry on charging. But since having to replace the 12" MacBook with a 13" MacBook air - which uses a 30W power brick - if I try to charge the Lenovo with it the machine throws a bit of a fit: the screen flashes on and off every couple of seconds until I unplug the charger. I can only assume that the 30W brick is just enough below the minimum requirement for a full charge that the Lenovo thinks "yay! juice!", attempts to draw its normal charging current and the brick can't quite keep up causing the X280 charging circuitry to have a conniption. Weird.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Baseus arrived yesterday and initial impressions are positive. It was smaller than I'd expected, but still certainly bigger than the Innergie. I'll take some photos soon and post them.

Been using it a bit and it does what it's supposed to.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some photos to illustrate the size difference between the Innergie (which is really quite tiny) and the Baseus (which is certainly larger, but not huge by any means).

I find this skinny and tall form factor to be very easy to fit into my existing bag o charger stuff, and like that it doesn't overlap with adjoining receptacles. The downside, of course, is that it'll fall out of wall receptacles that are worn and loose.

I've only used it over the weekend, but as I noted, it's well-reviewed by ChargerLab, and it, thus far, has worked well for me.

Charging a USB-C laptop with something other than the standard power pack-baseussd-jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    USB C covers voltages up to 20v. Look at the output voltage on your laptop power brick.

The Anker multi port charger is my choice, allowing me to charge several devices at the same time using just one outlet. It will come with a removable AC cord. You can use typical AC travel adapters, or buy a cable that has the right pins for the country you are visiting. I would use adapters of going to multiple countries with different outlets or use the cable option if just going to one place.

That longer AC cable and multiple ports allows using one outlet as I mentioned and you can use outlets in less than optimal locations--- behind dressers or beds, etc.

I have bought USB powered chargers for my camera batteries too, so with that one Anker charger I can charge phone, camera, tablet, power brick and a companion's items all at the same time and one outlet. The PowerPort chargers shown are all 5v USB ports, but combo USB C and USB A are available. The ones shown are 5.2oz and 5.8oz The AC cables range form 2.2oz to 5oz and can typically be purchased in 1 or 2 meter lengths.

Of course a USB cable will be needed for each device you want to charge.

Charging a USB-C laptop with something other than the standard power pack-anker-power-ports-1-jpg

Charging a USB-C laptop with something other than the standard power pack-anker-power-ports-2-jpg

Charging a USB-C laptop with something other than the standard power pack-anker-power-ports-3-jpg
    Last edited by DWSeattle; 01-27-2020 at 12:07 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    IAny Pros out there know if this and a usb cable will work. Id love to be able to leave the power brick at home.
    I only skimmed through all the replies, but I didn't see it mentioned.

The new Anker 65W PowerPort Atom III Slim is tiny and light (due to swapping out silicon for gallium nitride) and will charge your USB-C PD devices at 45W.

Three additional USB ports can fast-charge at a total of 20W at the same time.

I just keep it in my backpack all the time.

https://www.anker.com/products/varia...ports/A2045111

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this travel adapter for all my travel, domestic and international, and it charges my MacBook Pro 13" fine. It's definitely a slower charge than the real Apple power brick since the USB-C port is intended for smaller devices like the Nintendo Switch (which we also have used with it) but the slower charge is a tradeoff I'm willing to make to have a little universal plug with a tiny nightlight on it. (My MBP is not officially supported but it still charges.) There are several updated versions with higher speeds and improved designs but no little lights, which my nightblind eyes need to find the edge of the bed when traveling.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this 65W charger through Wirecutter, which will charge a 13” MacBook Pro, is pretty compact, and comes with a cable for $20 US... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D64QLQ1..._TLERFb4ASDBD9.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2