Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    I try to strategically put things on the conveyor belt in the order I want them loaded - first, heavy things (cans, bottles) and uncrushables (I don't care if the carrots get dogpiled on the bottom of the bag).
    I do this too, and the bag person will just wait until it's half jumbled past the cashier to pick and choose what they want to bag, instead of what I carefully ordered on the conveyor belt.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    Once I repacked in the cart before loading my car because the bagger didn't listen to me about where to put things.
    I repack my groceries in my car almost every time!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I do this too, and the bag person will just wait until it's half jumbled past the cashier to pick and choose what they want to bag, instead of what I carefully ordered on the conveyor belt.

Same.

I even tried color coding: everything cold in the blue bag, meat in the red... that was way too complicated.

Sounds like my solution is self-checkout. It'll reduce plastic and my frustration. And it's good to know I'm not the only one who overthinks the grocery store check-out!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    I repack my groceries in my car almost every time!
    I do too!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoying this thread =)

I'm usually going through the U-Scan self checkout to avoid baggers getting confused. I did have one cashier recently, though, think that my Truck is a large ladies' handbag or something - I had to repeat "I have my own bag".

In case of meat or other prone-to-leak (or sweaty) containers, though, I have taken to stashing a couple of extra produce bags in one of the Truck pockets, although I am trying to reduce my accumulation of plastic. It is so tough to go totally plastic-free. I still find the average plastic two-handled grocery bag handy for lining small trash bins, like the bathroom ones, around the house. I suppose I could get paper bags for bigger bins, but I am not acquiring those as often!

I also am digging the Small Halcyon Organizer Pouch I got - I put it on a Key Strap in one pocket of The Truck ... now I won't forget my coupons!

One teeny-tiny gripe I have is the Truck is difficult to fit at some of the U-Scans that have the four bag dispensers in a square shape - the rails that hold the store's plastic grocery bags sometimes get in the way of the Truck having all its bottom surface area on the scale where you put everything after scanning. But at the U-Scans that have a scale with fewer obstructions, it's no big deal.

I guess although we're in the Not About Bags subforum, this came around to being about bags after all, heh. To answer the initial thread question... Get a few patches that say "NO PLASTIC" and pin them to your shopping bags? If I find such a thing, I'll report back, haha.
    Last edited by sarepants; 11-29-2018 at 05:45 AM. Reason: added one more bit of info at bottom

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nth-ing the attempt (though not always success) of placing groceries in preferred packing order. As well as these:

Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    I totally do this, too! I'm also the person at IKEA who makes sure everything goes on the cart with the barcodes "fronted" so the cashier can scan them all at once, quickly. Can you tell that I overthink my shopping experiences? (And that's before I get started on my customized lists for each different grocery store I go to, where the categories are in the order of movement through the store so I never have to double back!)
    As someone who has been a cashier, let me say, THANK YOU to the first (and I do it, too), and to the second, Heck yes, I do! I used to do so re-using old mail and scraps of paper, but now I do it using task-management software on my phone.

Of course, it then drives me batty whenever stores re-organize their shelves, though. My brain still wants to remember some store layouts from nearly 10 years ago!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarepants View Post
    still find the average plastic two-handled grocery bag handy for lining small trash bins, like the bathroom ones, around the house.
    Same! Hubs keeps me stocked with those because he never remembers reusable bags when he's going out for one forgotten item.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <<I try to strategically put things on the conveyor belt in the order I want them loaded>>

+1

Also, this post is kind of crazy to me. No one ever comments on my bags, and certainly no one has ever said not to use them cause they're too nice!!

I will admit, I do put my chicken in a plastic bag (even though I know I can wash the bag...).

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I live in California right now, so reusable bags are very common (and often required) so I don't run into resistance much here... I also tend to shop at places where we pack our own stuff into the bags...
    With that being said, maybe keep a couple small inexpensive washable nylon or leftover disposable plastic bags in the TB bags so that when they freak out on messy items, they can put stuff in there ....

You can also try telling them that the bags are (hand) washable...

Good luck!

(and howdy hi Springfield, MA! I grew up outside there in Hampden)
    I grew up in Hampden too and now live in California! Crazy!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jool View Post
    I grew up in Hampden too and now live in California! Crazy!
    Holy moly. I've lived in Hampden for two years, and I totally understand why people who grew up here move to California. The IGA at the corner of Main St. and Allen St. has no idea what to do with my shop totes!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Shop Bags are either EDC, one was even used at a fancy gathering.

I just used the Small Zippered Shop Bag to replenish my journaling and art supplies. I looooove it!

The nice young man at the counter of the newly opened independent Art Supply Store was very nice when he packed the items so carefully..

I moved the side pockets close to the bag walls to fit the longest items, the Rhodia Notepad # 18, which is roughly letter size fits perfectly into it, I got 4 and 2 tracing paper 9x12 inches pads.

It also holds one A6 sized paper bag of rollerball and ballpoint refills. One A5 sized paper bag for 2 fountain pens and one mechanical pencil in their boxes, plus 2 mechanical pencils on their own and one hot dog paper bag of watercolor pencils.

The new place has a lovely Coffee Shop integrated, to the store. The layout reminds me of Tom Bihn Mothership because it used to be a warehouse.

For groceries, which I do every month, in bulk, I use former travel bags for cans, the small bags found at the store for staples, cool bags for cold and frozen items (a must in an area when it could still be 80 degrees on summer evenings) and cardboard boxes for bottles for things in glass jars (I started to do that when the handles of one overstuffed paper bag broke, and one bottle shattered very close to my feet).

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    Holy moly. I've lived in Hampden for two years, and I totally understand why people who grew up here move to California. The IGA at the corner of Main St. and Allen St. has no idea what to do with my shop totes!
    LOL, I enjoyed growing up in Hampden. Lots of woods and swamps and fields to run around and play in... there wasn't a lot 'to do', so we made up our own games and explored. It's a pretty environmentally conscious town in terms of the land - zoning, conservation committee, land preservation, solar, etc. but reusable bags are definitely not a norm yet... as far as I can tell, they are still not automatic in most places in this country.

About 9 or so years ago, I went to The Netherlands & Germany for a work trip... I stayed a couple extra days to be a tourist. Funniest part was the solemn nod of approval I received from a shop keeper when I pulled out my tiny folded Reisenthel shop bag for the stuff I bought - he definitely wasn't expecting an American to have a bag - and said so.
    Last edited by G42; 12-01-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF&CP; Blk/Canyon S19; Steel Halcyon/Solar S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon Luminary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2