Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors, pics always welcome)? Either a Travel Cubelet in Northwest Sky/Carbon or Small Cafe Bag in linen/olive. I have set my much-loved Side Effect (black 1050D ballistic/ultraviolet) aside for now. It was a tough decision, but the TC does everything I need on a regular basis now. I use the SCB on longer trips out, because I can add a small water bottle. I will repurpose my SE - maybe as a travel bag.
    2. What are you reading? I have several I'm rotating through but the current one up is "A Beautiful Work In Progress" by Mirna Valerio (trying to get my run on)
    3. What are you playing or watching (movies, theatre, video games, etc.)? I watch lots of YouTube. I'm playing Sudoku. I'm finally getting the hang of that game and have ventured out to more difficult puzzle setups.
    4. What are you listening to? Christmas music - lots and lots of Christmas music
    5. What are you cooking/baking/drinking? My husband and I discovered these small store-brand flatbread pizzas and have been eating way too many. Also trying out lots of seasonal beers from local breweries. I can't bake worth a flip, but enjoy the bakery at my store.
    6. What are you making/creating/doing? I used to play guitar a lot and write songs but haven't done either in years. However, I saw a glove on the ground while walking the other day which sparked a song idea - the first in I don't know how long. So I'm working on that. It's definitely not like riding a bike but it's coming back to me.
    7. Where have you gone lately? -or- What travel destinations are on the horizon for you? I only traveled for work this past year including a few trips to Las Vegas. For work but still - Las Vegas! I plan to take a trip home to visit family in early 2019.

Bonus Question: Since it's the season of giving, what is your favorite charity? Red Cross
    Last edited by sujo; 11-30-2018 at 07:07 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors, pics always welcome)?
    Original halcyon/wasabi A30, verde side kick with matching mini Q kit for coins, plus various OPs for notes, metro tickets, cards etc
    2. What are you reading?
    Orient by Christopher Bollen
    3. What are you playing or watching (movies, theatre, video games, etc.)?
    I'm currently in Paris, so I've been going to a few museums and seeing some amazing art.
    4. What are you listening to?
    BBC World News
    5. What are you cooking/baking/drinking?
    Drinking espresso, eating pastries from the local boulangerie
    6. What are you making/creating/doing?
    I've just published an ebook, Japan Just For You, which has been a project I've worked on for most of this year.
    7. Where have you gone lately? -or- What travel destinations are on the horizon for you?
    Currently in France. When I get back to New Zealand, there's some local work travel coming up.

Bonus Question: Since it's the season of giving, what is your favorite charity?
    Save The Children, because they have a really broad range of projects aimed at helping and protecting children. Ones I particularly like are their establishment of safe spaces for children after natural disasters, and their education programme for children in Daulatdia, Bangladesh's largest brothel.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. What bag/accessories are you carrying? EDC rotates every week or two - right now it's Indigo/Solar S19 and next will probably go back to a Plum/Olive Imago (both great eBay finds). DLBC (red blend), LCB (Plum) and Founders (Navy parapack, a very interesting bag) are also in the mix. For travel, I'm favoring the A45 over the TriStar because I am sadly not a minimalist packer!

2. What are you reading? Not nearly enough.

3. What are you playing or watching (movies, theatre, video games, etc.)? I recently had surgery (accompanied by my snazzy new Nordic/Solar S25) and got the chance to watch a couple of seasons of Great British Baking Show while on the couch. I still need to catch up on the last two eps of Mr. Robot and this season of The Good Place.

4. What are you listening to? Mostly Motown, and a puzzle related podcast.

5. What are you cooking/baking/drinking? I made my (cousin's) famous cheesecake for Thanksgiving and for a potluck party tonight. I have tried out Sous Vide a couple of times (a friend is a SV expert and does cookbooks and videos) and am interested to try it some more.

6. What are you making/creating/doing? It's been 11 years since I had my one and only NY Times crossword published, and I am finally working on constructing another one. It probably won't be for the NYT but for one of the several more "indie" outlets.

7. Where have you gone lately? -or- What travel destinations are on the horizon for you? Massachusetts with family for the holidays as usual, planning on the Bay area in February (fun) and Baltimore in March (work).

Bonus Question: Since it's the season of giving, what is your favorite charity? Planned Parenthood and ProPublica, these days.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - I just switched from a grass TC to my mars red SK.
    - For work I'm still in love with my kiwi swift.
    - Little Swift with a knitting stuff sack and TC for the many waiting rooms I've been in lately.
    - A small shop bag carries layers out to the car. It's been an unusually cold November.

2. What are you reading?
    The manual to my new instant pot! And instant pot chili recipes. I'm going to make my first attempt to adapt my favorite chili recipe to the IP tonight!

Podcasts, as usual. Lots of British History Podcast and 99PI.

I'm drinking endless cups of tea. Did I mention it's been cold?

I have plans to test the limits of my stand mixer with my family's favorite sweet roll recipe. I have a feeling that some recipes are better made by hand.

I'm finishing up my first sweater (!) and I just cast off a cozy neck warmer. And I'm shopping for a new coat. How is it so hard to find one when there are so many to choose from?

7. Where have you gone lately? -or- What travel destinations are on the horizon for you?
    I've been stuck at home for a couple months so I'm really looking forward to a day trip to the Maine Botanical Gardens next week.

Bonus Question: Since it's the season of giving, what is your favorite charity? My local food pantry.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. What bag/accessories are you carrying?
    Iíve been going back and forth on my edc between the A30 packing cube backpack and the s19. I recently took the S19 one an eight day trip to NJ for Thanksgiving. While itís ďpossibleĒ to travel that lightly, in future Iíll stick to my smart alec from now on.

2. What are you reading?
    Just finished the new Jack Reacher book Past Tense, eagerly waiting for the new Agent Pendergast novel which comes out in January

3. What are you playing or watching?
    Dark on Netflix, very intriguing. Also, just saw Fantastic Beasts II

Pandora rockin Christmas music channel

Pizza rolls, Lazy Magnolia Brewery drafts, no baking, Iím more of a ďopen the box, place it on the tray, and put it in the ovenĒ kind-of cook.

Not a crafter, I do like the plastic canvas crafts but itís been awhile, mostly crosswords, word searches, and dot-to-dots

7. Where have you gone lately?
    To NJ to visit family, had planned on trip to Europe this summer but that may be on hold for now

Bonus Question: Since it's the season of giving, what is your favorite charity? St. Judeís Childrenís Research Hospital and the ASPCA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just switched over to an Steel/Sapphire/plum stripe Ego from the last run of them...I am a little too aware of my S19 when it is 'poofed' over my winter coat. Within front panel of Ego...small fjord snake charmer holding all sorts of bits and bobs; a Makers Freudian in the main compartment. Various pouches doing their thing as well. Absolutely sweet set up for winter carrying.

2. What are you reading?

The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton--glorious read. And, poetry--What We're Doing to Stay Afloat, by Karin Cope.

Want to see the Freddie Mercury bio pic.

Catching up on podcasts (see #7) and rocking out to a playlist composed by a wonderful friend in honor of our friendship.

Oh! Just made cheesy zucchini "bread" topped with sliced pesto chicken...three of us wolfed the entire pan of it. Plan on making tea biscuits again soon.

I write an annual Advent poetry series and am on poem number two. Have done this for about ten years now.

Just returned from two weeks of simultaneous interpretation work in Tagaytay, Philippines at an international Justice and Peace meeting.

Halifax Learning Network

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. What bag/accessories are you carrying?
    Side Kick in Cloud/Ultraviolet, Island Travel Cubelet, Clear Organizer Wallet, Size 2 Stuff Sack in Island, Medium Double Organizer Pouch, Daylight Backpack in Nordic/NWS. Not all at the same time.

My music gig bag is a Maker's Bag in Nordic/Ultraviolet. When I'm teaching music lessons the Daylight Briefcase in Nordic/Steel is awesome!

2. What are you reading?
    L. E. Modesitt, Jr. I'm enjoying his Recluce series, the Spellsong series, and the Imager series. I'm enjoying it so much, I wish he would write faster.

Spy Game and Peter Rabbit

Nothing. It's so refreshing to hear absolute silence.

Earthquake Cake! We made a pound cake yesterday afternoon, just an ordinary plain pound cake. Several people have been astonished that we were baking after the earthquake. We still have to eat. Why not eat cake?

Making: zipper pull knots.
    What Are You Carrying? Rainy Autumn Edition (11/2018)-img_3013-jpg

Creating: New workshops for songwriting and how to transpose songs.
    Doing: Playing ukulele and writing songs.

7. Where have you gone lately?
    Just got back from New England. I spent a week in Connecticut and a week in Maine visiting relatives.

My top three charities:
    Charity Water
    Doctors Without Borders
    Knitted Knockers
    What Are You Carrying? Rainy Autumn Edition (11/2018)-img_3012-jpg

TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm ironically slow to answer my own post!

I'm still hanging on my old mainstay, a Navy Cordura Synapse 25. Also rocking a #2 coyote Minimalist Wallet.

2. What are you reading?
    I'm terrible at sticking with books, so nothing right now.

I've been playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and Spiderman lately. Spiderman was super good and RDR2 is also quite fun so far.

I'm really picky with Christmas music, I don't really like most mainstays, but I do really enjoy the 1965 soundtrack from A Charlie Brown Christmas, arranged by Vince Guaraldi.

The colder times of year are here, so I've been making more stews and chilis. Also eggnog.

I've been trying my hand at watercolor lately. I'm not very good.

I went to (the southern tip of) Alaska in late September (it was beautiful and relaxing) and that will be the last major travel for a while for me.

My favorite is Child's Play -- a charity dedicated to distributing toys and games to children's hospitals.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ashamedly I am carrying a non-Bihn today, military-inspired 1000D "ruck". I've always admired the clean lines and I finally treated myself. It's a great bag in its own right but I think I'll be back to my regular carry, a coyote brown Cordura S19, soon enough. The organizational features and ease of access are a little weak for someone coming from the venerable Synapse. I'm also still not a fan of Molle webbing, but at least there aren't any dangly straps!

2. What are you reading?
    I just finished reading Dune by Frank Herbert for the first time. I'm tempted to follow up with the rest of the series but I've heard some opinions that only the first book is truly essential reading.

On the other hand I am trying to start The Fifth Season by N K Jemisin and Red Rising by Pierce Brown but I've been so jetlagged I'm not ready to read something so dense.

I'm half-rewatching House of Cards while my SO is catching up to the season I left off (fourth, I think?). But right now what I'm really into is playing Dead Cells on the Nintendo Switch, plus tinkering with 7 Billion Humans on the iPhone. Dead Cells is kind a roguelike Castlevania meets Dark Souls, if those references mean something to anyone, but it's punishingly hard while still having a fair character progression system. 7 Billion Humans is a programming game about processing parallel instructions to solve puzzles.

I was getting coffee when I discovered the album Souls by Shallou, so I've been listening to a Spotify radio station based on songs like it. Light, synth-y music, very chill. I also got back into listening to podcasts, so I'm going through a big backlog of 99% Invisible.

Coffee. The jetlag life is real. I'm also trying to keep hydrated with some seltzer.

I'm taking a break from work right now, but I was in the middle of adding new filters to a software endpoint.

I just spent 3 weeks in Thailand -- Bangkok, Chiang Rai, and Chiang Mai -- traveling out of my trusty Coyote S19 with my SO. We loved everything about it -- the culture, the language, the people, the food -- and we'll certainly be back soon.

Traveling for so long with the S19 turned out just fine, but if I could just ditch my camera gear I could probably travel out of the upcoming Luminary 14. Or keep going with the S19 with room to spare.
    Last edited by carrot; 12-06-2018 at 02:07 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    2. What are you reading?
    I just finished reading Dune by Frank Herbert for the first time. I'm tempted to follow up with the rest of the series but I've heard some opinions that only the first book is truly essential reading.
    That's a fairly valid view, although I would argue that the original trilogy is worthwhile; from book 4 onward it all starts to feel somewhat thinly stretched, IMHO, in a kind of "how many books can I turn this into for maintenance of the revenue stream?" sort of way. And of course Frank Herbert died before the final book in the extended-series-as-planned was done, so the later volumes spend a lot of wordage on setting up plot threads leading toward a denouement which... never happens.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25QKTTMCBTT PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SE TSS4TTQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. What bag Iím carrying: Deep Blue/Wasabi SK for EDC; Aubergine/Cloud MCB when I have to be away from the house for longer periods
    2. What Iím reading: The Death of Expertise (Tom Nichols), Mere Christianity (C.S. Lewis), and A Portrait of My Father (George W. Bush)
    3. What Iím watching: Currently going through our DVD collection, whatever suits the mood
    4. What Iím listening to: Audiobooks...Eisenhower in War and Peace (Jean Edward Smith); Unbroken (Laura Hillenbrand)
    5. What Iím baking/drinking: Holiday breads & cookies to send to our 5 kids & their families. Just discovered Costcoís eggnog...Iím hooked!
    6. What Iím making/creating/doing: Currently nothing, but getting my sewing room ready for a new year
    7. Travel Destinations: I just booked our European cruise for next summer...England, Ireland, Scotland, France...so excited!
    Bonus Question: Favorite Charity: Alzheimerís Association and Vietnam Veterans of America

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    Traveling for so long with the S19 turned out just fine, but if I could just ditch my camera gear I could probably travel out of the upcoming Luminary 14. Or keep going with the S19 with room to spare.
    Have you done a packing list post? I'm fascinated that anyone can travel with just a S19.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    Have you done a packing list post? I'm fascinated that anyone can travel with just a S19.
    I did earlier this year when I went to France but I will have to make a new post for Thailand since I learned a lot from my first trip and a fair amount for my second. I'll hope to have time this weekend.

Also worth checking out is Nadia's excellent thread for 2-weeks out of the S19.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors, pics always welcome)?
    Every day- Medium Cafe Bag (or sometimes a Sidekick)
    Travel- Aeronaut 45 paired with my Medium Cafe Bag

2. What are you reading?
    I just finished Lethal White by Robert Galbraith. I'm recently started Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty.

I am watching The Good Place (season 2) with the family, and Fargo (tv series) on my own.

Armchair Expert podcast and lots of Kansas, Yes, Polyphia, Covet, and Lettuce.

I don't like to cook or bake, but my Instant Pot and I are good friends. I recently made some amazing hummus and falafel. Soups are my specialty, and I did split pea with bacon and potato a couple of days ago.

Current creative outlets are photography editing, and taking a course on concert photography. Also helping my daughter with photo and video for her endeavors as a drummer, so dabbling in our home recording studio as her assistant/director/momamama.

We visited Germany,Switzerland, and Italy in the fall. A few US based trips included Charlotte, Nashville, LA, and Indianapolis.

Planned Parenthood!
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new Minimalist Wallet #4, Black. My A30 and Cache for upcoming work travel. Various pouches and organizers. I need to switch my EDC back to my Imago. I have a new waxed canvass work bag from another company that I put into rotation to knock some of the "newness" off of it.

2. What are you reading?
    How to Invent Everything by Ryan North, Neurotribes by Steve Silberman, plus some comfort re-reading of Sherlock Holmes to cut anxiety and Twitter to increase it.

Haven't had the TV on too much lately.

Well, Tracy Chapman just came up on shuffle, so that's at this moment. I've been working on my "Non-Crappy Holiday Music" playlist for when the fam gets together (it always starts with Chuck Berry). I'm also listening to The Library Book audiobook and various podcasts when in the car--lots of errands, shopping, and (annoyingly) doctor appointments.

I baked a TON of rolls (cranberry/orange and herb) and maple-glazed challah for Thanksgiving, and will probably do a batch of bread for Xmas: cinnamon raisin and whatever else takes my fancy. I need to try out my new InstantPot (and bought an Indian InstantPot cookbook for the purpose). Drinking vermouth spritzes which I recently discovered, and Japanese whiskey from my last vacation. And lots of coffee to combat the dark days here in Minnesota.

I recently went through vacation photos from the past few years to choose prints to update my gallery wall. Not getting rid of anything, just adding, but I realized the most recent prints there were from the early aughts. I need to frame and hang them now that I've got the prints. Also, working on designing slides for work, which is tedious in the extreme since I'm learning Illustrator as I go, and I was never much good at PowerPoint.

DC and DC to both. I'm also heading to San Francisco early in the new year for work. Hoping to get a mini-break somewhere warm after those trips are over.

Doctors Without Borders (MSF) and the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast