Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Are You Carrying? Rainy Autumn Edition (11/2018)

Welcome back to the forum favorite, "What Are You Carrying", where we ask our wonderful Bihnion friends what they're carrying, reading, and a host of other questions!

Without further ado, let's get into it!

1. What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors, pics always welcome)?
    2. What are you reading?
    3. What are you playing or watching (movies, theatre, video games, etc.)?
    4. What are you listening to?
    5. What are you cooking/baking/drinking?
    6. What are you making/creating/doing?
    7. Where have you gone lately? -or- What travel destinations are on the horizon for you?

Bonus Question: Since it's the season of giving, what is your favorite charity?

By the seaside, England
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. What bag/accessories are you carrying
    My perennial Aubergine/Wasabi Aeronaut 30. Want to see if I can use my new Guide's Edition Synapse 25 (in Mars Red) for the same use case, but the world won't slow down long enough to let me test pack it at the moment.
    2. What are you reading?
    Just finished The Furthest Station and Lies Sleeping, the most recent two books in Ben Aaronovitch's "Rivers of London" sequence. Before that it was Charles Stross' latest "Laundry Files" novel, The Labyrinth Index.
    Random stuff on Netflix, mostly; our DVR broke a couple of months ago, wasn't repairable (still under warranty!) and we haven't replaced it yet.
    J-M Jarre's latest, Equinoxe Infinity, and selected tracks from his recent Planet Jarre compilation album. The track Opening which is also on the compilation in a different version as Coachella Opening comes highly recommended if you like that sort of thing...
    Mostly stuff which doesn't require too much effort, because life has been a bit complicated recently. Food has been stuff out of the freezer, drinking has been tea (a nice breakfast blend involving Assam and Ceylon teas), and alcohol mostly of the juniper-flavoured variety diluted with ginger ale. (purists look away now!)
    Right this minute, trying to put together my December schedule (TB Forums are great for displacement activity) which includes various social events, visits to London for work, time off, shopping trips, bank holidays etc etc etc. In among all that lot I've got two work projects on the go, plus the ongoing decluttering / gradual redecorating / sorting out at home. Sometime before Christmas I'm hoping to organise a new gas fire for our main lounge, because the old one decided it had had enough a couple of months back. We have central heating, but it just won't feel like Christmas without a garland and some twinkly fairy lights over a glowing fireplace!
    7. Where have you gone lately? -or- What travel destinations are on the horizon for you?
    London, London and London. And possibly also - London. For work. Sigh.

As far as my favourite charity is concerned, that would be the PDSA - the People's Dispensary for Sick Animals, a veterinary charity in the UK.
    Last edited by PaulT00; 11-28-2018 at 11:28 AM.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the spirit of Paul’s TB displacement activity, ill play!

Aubergine SE is always with me, whether in my gym bag (CP), my grandma bag (Luminary) or by itself.
    2. What are you reading?
    The Rain Watcher by Tatiana de Rosnay
    The Man in the High Castle
    The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin (audiobook)
    5. What are you cooking/baking/drinking? 6. What are you making/creating/doing?
    We’re hosting our annual Friendsgiving party this weekend so we’re eating leftovers to clear the fridge for all the food we’ll prepare on Friday. I’m making gratitude place cards, table decor and an a/v presentation celebrating our friends
    We’ll do a lot of state hopping over the holidays.
    2019 is shaping up to be a great year. We’ll raft the Grand Canyon in June and head on safari in September.
    David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. They do amazing work with orphaned elephants. We hope to visit two of our fostered elephants when we’re in Kenya.
    Last edited by Traveltech; 11-28-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. What bag/accessories are you carrying?
    My Smart Alec in Navy. My first TB bag and my daily workhorse. Fantastic to carry my EDC plus whatever I need from gym clothes to groceries and bread. I use the Freudian Slip to organize my Macbook Air, its accessories and the other stuff I need for work. The upper modular pocket is always installed for all the bits and pieces. Great bag, never fails me!

2. What are you reading?
    Just started "The book of why - The new science of cause and effect" by Judea Pearl and Dana Mackenzie. Since I am working in medicine this is a very important topic but also regarding the climate change and the controversies that come along with it. So far a challenging but rewarding read.

Was recently just completely blown away by "Bohemian Rhapsody". Ok, so it's a very melodramatic movie. But hey, it's all about Queen and Freddy Mercury what do you expect? Highly recommended!

I just discovered GoGoPenguin, a trio from Manchester. They have a new album out since a couple of months which is great. They mix Jazz, Electronic, Rock and Minimal Music to a very unique and modern sound. Also a great live experience!
    And from the more down to earth department: on one of my last flights to the US they had Wynonna and the Big Noise on the entertainment system and immediately I became a huge fan. What a voice! Great guitars!!

Cooking: Winter is just around the corner so everything with kale (with sausages a typical winter dish in Germany)
    Baking: Apple crumble
    Drinking: Morning: Tea, During the day: Coffee, Evening: Pinot Noir

As every year I am trying to finish a couple of projects to get my head free for the new year. But I am afraid that I will not be very successful with this attempt...

No plans yet for the next couple of weeks. Further down the road: Canary Islands in March or April and then Chicago in July (my favorite city in the US!).

Bonus Question:
    My favorite charity is Working Bikes in Chicago. They collect discarded bicycles, refurbish them and donate them to developing countries and other people who need a bike but cannot afford it. Since I love biking I know what a difference a bicycle can make. As they say it on the website: It can be a tool of empowerment!
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyday purse = Sidekick in 1050 aubergine and 525 Cloud and Mars Red.
    Everyday shopping = Large Zip Top Tote bags in all colors.

2. What are you reading? Rereading GEB Godel Escher and Bach

3. What are you playing or watching (movies, theatre, video games, etc.)? Just got Crazy Rich Asians DVD

4. What are you listening to? Anything BUT X-mas music.

5. What are you cooking/baking/drinking? Veggies.

6. What are you making/creating/doing? Weaving some handspun silk and merino wool into a Mobius strip shawl.

7. Where have you gone lately? All over Europe.
    -or- What travel destinations are on the horizon for you? I don't know. I need to recover from the last trip.

Bonus Question: Since it's the season of giving, what is your favorite charity? Me. (Ducks and hides.)
    Last edited by BWeaves; 11-28-2018 at 01:12 PM.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    [B]
    2. What are you reading?
    Just finished The Furthest Station and Lies Sleeping, the most recent two books in Ben Aaronovitch's "Rivers of London"
    I pre-ordered Lies Sleeping audiobook and finished it last week, then listened to it again this week. I love that series so much! When I was in London last summer, I spent a day collecting selfies in front of places in the book.

By the seaside, England
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    I pre-ordered Lies Sleeping audiobook and finished it last week, then listened to it again this week. I love that series so much! When I was in London last summer, I spent a day collecting selfies in front of places in the book.
    Until late 2009 I was working in London during the week, and staying in London 3 or 4 nights every week; I used to rent a (very small!) flat just around the corner from the Brunswick Centre, and my route to work meant I walked through Russell Square every morning and evening - although usually on the other side from the notional location of the Folly!
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love reading these responses =)

DLBP (in Nordic Halcyon) with my laptop Cache, various keystraps/pouches for lip balm and pens and such, Rhodia A5 paper pad, etc. I prefer the backpack for carrying a laptop so the weight is balanced on my person.

2. What are you reading?
    The Book of Wonders (short stories) by Douglas Trevor.

A bunch of Netflix food series.

Just the sound of my furnace whooshing through the ducts.

Coffee at the moment. But made two thick-cut pork chops last night: seared each side on the stovetop and finished in the oven.

Reading and writing for work - early childhood research.

Some local traveling by car for the recent Thanksgiving holiday.

My local humane society. (I would love to get a rescue dog at some point, but for now I'll try to help the critters in need.)

France
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TB key strap :P (couldn't use my recently purchased GES25 yet)
    2. What are you reading?
    too (really too) many mangas/BD/webcomics
    MVs and Pitch Perfect 2&3 recently
    Nigel Stanford, Alan Walker, (G)I-DLE...
    white rice and miso...
    doodles... (with ballpen)
    Iceland

er... "Amnesty international" and "Action contre la faim"
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Are You Carrying? Rainy Autumn Edition (11/2018)

I recently switched from my Sidekick (Black Halcyon/Island) to a Side Effect (Black 1050 Ballistic/Ultraviolet) in anticipation of my Minimalist Wallet (Grass #4) that Iím hoping will make the SE work better for me, paired with my Pop Tote (Deep Blue).

2. What are you reading?
    The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease.

In addition to our daily dose of Daniel Tiger (for ponytails and sunscreen time), my daughter has recently been obsessed with the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special and Mickeyís Twice Upon a Christmas

Right now, rain! Yay!

Fried rice is on the menu for dinner tonight. I most recently baked Smitten Kitchenís peanut butter cookies (the best recipe!). This year I started making and drinking fermented probiotic-rich drinks - water kefir and now milk kefir.

Knitting and writing poetry.

The week before Thanksgiving, I took a trip with my daughter across the country to Philadelphia for a Friendsgiving.

Iím currently participating in the 30 Poems in November! project raising money for the Center for New Americans - a group supporting immigrant and refugee communities in Western Massachusetts.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every gym day I bring my Deep Blue Pop Tote - really like this as a gym bag. Most work days, I bring a new (to me) Steel/Solar S19 to work with a ballistic Travel Cubelet inside (colour depends on my mood). And I'm now carrying a new #3 Dawn wallet!
    And I use the original Small Shop Bags pretty much every day for one thing or another.
    2. What are you reading?
    I've been on a neuro/behavioral science kick lately, so finishing 'Happiness' by Dean Burnett, a funny UK neuroscientist... and I read The Economist most weeks
    Nothing - I don't own a TV and don't bother to stream... did play some retro video games at a retro arcade in LA a month or so ago, but mostly ended up playing pinball.
    Random mixes on my iPod shuffle...mostly 80's, 90's grunge, and blues...I'm doing a bunch of spec creation in SAP right now and it's So.Boring...music is required
    Trying to 'Eat All The Food' in my freezer/fridge/pantry before I leave for two weeks for the year-end holidays... so lots of random mixes and odds & ends.
    Working on an 'altered book' - I'm part of a circle that's passing books around. Also making jewelry for gifts.
    Between work and personal travel, I've been to MA, RI, WA, CO, and IL in the past couple of months. Went to many historical places and hit a lot of art museums. Going homehome to MA for the two weeks of holidays... so far, nothing planned for 2019 (!). Have to get on that!
    Hmmm... don't know if I have a favorite. I tend to give towards spinal research, literacy, environmental, and human rights stuff... and whatever fund raiser my coworkers are canvassing for.
    Last edited by G42; 11-29-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDC: S19 because it is much easier to carry my essential in a backpack when the weather can turn rainy/snowy on a dime. Furthermore I need my

Shopping LSB to put away all the winter layers in independent small shops and docs offices and the loverly new Zip Small Shop Bag for the purchases.

2. What are you reading?

Our Revolution, which I bought some time ago, the sequel, by the same author, has just been released, so it is timely.

Watching Daniel Tiger Neighborhood because, it is so lovely to see the legacy of Mr Rodgers go on, and it is nice to have a town with a functioning and useful trolley.

I also make sure to watch as much documentaries as possible. This November, PBS World has done a good job sharing film produced by Vision Media which shares the history and lives of people from Native American ancestry.

Celtic songs to sing with and Latin jazz for dancing.

Hoping to keep a permanent vegetarian lacto/ovo/vegi meat diet. Winter is usually the time when protein are calling and sometimes, that call is difficult to resist.

Journaling and watercolor.

Around town.

There are so many to support who protect the environment, animals and people.

Wild Earth Guardians,The Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee and Elephant Sanctuary Brazil (one beautiful elephant lady will soon be on her way from , Southern Poverty Law Center and the ACLU are some of the names that stand out.
    Last edited by backpack; 11-29-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For travel: Forest/UV Aeronaut 45 or Original Halcyon/Wasabi Western Flyer, plus another bag as personal item
    For school: Original Halcyon/UV Pilot
    Around town: SCB (Cloud/Viridian) or Co-Pilot (usually Original Halcyon/Wasabi)

2. What are you reading?
    The Crown of Dalemark, by Diana Wynne Jones
    a lot of Avengers fanfic
    Corporate Finance by Stephen Ross (for school, of course)

I actually watched a movie this week for the first time in I don't know how long. It was The Avengers--because of the fanfic I mentioned in the previous answer. (I'm way behind on that series and want to catch up, but instead I re-watched the first one.)

Baroque Brass by the St. Louis Brass Quintet. I like how baroque music has so many things going on in it, and I like brass music because I was/am/will be a brass player as a hobby (trombone and cornet) and this album combines those interests excellently.

Tuna salad with goat cheese in it. That sounds unappetizing now that I see it written out, but it's very tasty the way I make it.

I just finished one knitting project (it has only been an hour since I finished blocking it!) and I'm not sure what I'll make next. I might go back to knitting squares for an afghan, because I want a new afghan for my couch.

Lately: Colorado to see family for Thanksgiving.
    Upcoming: maybe a short trip to Minnesota, I'm not sure yet.

*Greater Boston Food Bank
    *EMPath. They work with women in poverty to help them and their families get out of poverty.
    *Southern Poverty Law Center
    *Health Care For All, because when I was on state health insurance a few years ago and had trouble finding my way through the bureaucracy, HCFA's help line was so helpful I actually cried from relief.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Washington, D.C.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My EDC right now is my beloved small gray cafe bag.

2. What are you reading?
    Becoming, by Michelle Obama

Currently nothing .

Steven Page’s Heal Thyself Pt 1: Instinct, and my favorite radio station WETA

Lots of hot tea, water with lemon, and my winter cocktail, Manhattans. Plus any great craft brews I run across Smilie

Always knitting! Working on a Guthrie sweater and a Birkin sweater, both by Boyland Knitworks. And always a sock Smilie

Last weekend, Philly. Had a great time!! So many wonderful museums and art. Florida next weekend for the month of December, then moving to Romania after that.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love these threads - I get so many ideas for books and music.

Cloud/Island S25, with an Island 210 Travel Cubelet with my EDC stuff, a Grass 210 Travel Cubelet with my Hobonichi and pens (two Sailors and two TWSBIs), an Iberian medium Yarn Stuff Sack with a hat on the needles, and various OPs.

2. What are you reading?

The All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness.

The Vietnam War by Ken Burns & Lynn Novick on Netflix.

All of my songs rated 4 or 5 stars, on shuffle, and CBC Music streams.

5. What are you cooking/baking/drinking?’

Just got an Instant Pot, so I’ll be trying some new recipes.

Christmas presents! Currently a Norwegian Star Hat, and then another hat, and then a kids’ hood, and that’ll be that.

I just got back from a conference in Vancouver - I managed to one-bag in my S25 - and had a great week visiting with friends and my brothers.

Winnipeg Harvest, our local food bank, and Wolseley Family Place, a local family-support organization.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast