Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
    Another suggestion is that a warm hat makes a big difference. I'm kinda sensitive to cold, too. Yes, it'll affect your hairdo, which is one reason why otherwise rational people go hatless in cold weather, but body heat escapes from the head among other places. Get yourself a nice cashmere or fleece stocking cap or something like that.
    Yes! I had just replied about hats to another poster. I generally hate hats, I think they look stupid on me and they're not comfortable), but I'm a believer in the winter. It made a huge difference in my comfort.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best packable winter accessories

Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    Thanks! I actually just bought an Icebreaker Merino wool base layer earlier this week. I have some long underwear that I purchased up there one time. I remember we had to buy it from the men's department because they didn't have it in the women's. My sister said it was out of season (I think this was in March), but it was like 40 degrees out, that doesn't feel out of season for me! Lol.

What do you recommend for gloves/hat? My sister has some for me, but they're the cheap cotton ones. They work, but not well. I found the hat (even the cheap cotton one she has for me) made a huge difference in my comfort. I generally hate hats, but I'm a believer in the winter.

Even though I don't experience it regularly, I'd like to have a few pieces of actual winter gear so that if I do travel up north, I'll be ready. I do have a real winter coat...at my sister's house. That's not very helpful if I want to travel elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I have to do all my shopping online since they don't stock real winter items in stores here.

If you have the following you should be ready for real cold:
    -a couple of silk and/or wool under layers
    -a down jacket
    -a hat that covers your ears
    -gloves or mittens
    -a scarf you can wrap around yourself at least once so you can keep your neck and also your face warm
    -some wool socks

Obviously everything on that list is variable, you can find warm scarves and not-warm scarves. If you're going from Florida to Canada, you'll need to pile on a lot of layers and get a down jacket rated to at least minus 30 degrees. It will pay to invest once in a proper down parka if you're going that far north! I'm not kidding, I cannot wear my going-to-Canada parka in the U.K., it is just too warm here. So there is a lot of variation.

Materials and fabrics matter a lot to heat retention. Cashmere is one of the warmest materials by weight, so a cashmere or cashmere-wool blend will be much warmer than cotton, which is terrible for retaining heat and is also heavier.

For synthetics, I find that things labeled with Thinsulate are warm and affordable.

I'm sure others can add to this... if I think of any more, I'll post again.
    Last edited by Cristina; 12-21-2018 at 08:41 AM.

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can testify that thinsulate gloves really work. I have a pair.

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - A parka (covers your butt) will keep you warmer than a jacket but it won't pack up as small, obviously.
    - A hood on that parka. When I'm as cold as you describe, I pull the hood up over my hat and cinch it shut around my face. It's cozy.
    - A drawstring in whatever coat you choose, to cinch shut the hem or at least the waist. This will keep the wind from blowing up your coat and stealing your warmth.
    - A wool scarf long enough that half can be worn under your coat to plug up the gap at the coat's collar, and half can be wrapped up around your face. Even a thin wool scarf makes a difference, and wool is easier to breathe through than other fabrics.
    - If your hat has no ear flaps, wear a simple ear band under it. Even one thin enough to wear under a bicycle helmet makes a difference.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look less professional than gloves, but MITTENS keep your hands a lot warmer than gloves.
    Happy owner of Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Hubby is getting a Tom Bihn gift for Christmas!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best packable winter accessories

@nolegrl , just wanted to add to my earlier post and link to a newer version of the "I'm moving to Canada" parka I got 20 years ago. It's on sale! I got this one because it's rated down to minus 40 degrees, which it regularly was when I lived there.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/product/w...parka/20612700

Edited to add: this one isn't on sale and it isn't rated to -40, but it falls mid-calf!
    https://m.llbean.com/llb/shop/42359?pn=pd&skCatId=42359

Here are all the women's jackets at REI that are knee-length:
    https://www.rei.com/c/womens-jackets...gth&origin=web
    Last edited by Cristina; 12-21-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    @nolegrl , just wanted to add to my earlier post and link to a newer version of the "I'm moving to Canada" parka I got 20 years ago. It's on sale! I got this one because it's rated down to minus 40 degrees, which it regularly was when I lived there.

Edited to add: this one isn't on sale and it isn't rated to -40, but it falls mid-calf!

Thanks for the info! I picked up that Eddie Bauer parka, that's a good sale and the reviews look great. I don't imagine I'll be in Canada in the dead of winter any time soon, but it looks like a good choice for Illinois winters and any other destination with snow.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @christina how does the fur detach, is it snap on and off like the hood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    @christina how does the fur detach, is it snap on and off like the hood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am not sure (mine is from 1998) but, reading recent reviews, it doesn't seem to be a zipper.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    Thanks for the info! I picked up that Eddie Bauer parka, that's a good sale and the reviews look great. I don't imagine I'll be in Canada in the dead of winter any time soon, but it looks like a good choice for Illinois winters and any other destination with snow.

Yay, I hope it works well for you!!

Forum Member
    Central NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure (mine is from 1998) but, reading recent reviews, it doesn't seem to be a zipper.
    I bought this parka last winter. The hood snaps on and off, and the fur ruff also detaches from the hood with snaps. For daily wear this is a great coat!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Eddie Bauer parka looks like a great deal! How packable is it? Is it as bulky as it looks?
    Happy owner of Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Hubby is getting a Tom Bihn gift for Christmas!

Forum Member
    Central NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    The Eddie Bauer parka looks like a great deal! How packable is it? Is it as bulky as it looks?
    It is definitely not going to pack down small like an ultralight down parka would. If you’re traveling by air I would not take this one. LL Bean has ultralight options, but they are probably more expensive than this Eddie Bauer parka.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sstj315 View Post
    It is definitely not going to pack down small like an ultralight down parka would. If you’re traveling by air I would not take this one. LL Bean has ultralight options, but they are probably more expensive than this Eddie Bauer parka.
    Hmm...that's an interesting point. For me, I'd only travel by air to get anywhere that has the appropriate weather to use this coat. I imagine I'd only use it maybe once a year, but more likely once every few years. This would be a back of my closet, "I have one if I ever need it" winter coat. As nice as packable is, is it worth the upcharge for sporadic use like this? Also, is the packable gear actually as warm as this? I feel like packable gear will have to sacrifice extra fabric or other materials that help provide additional warmth in order to be packable.

Last edited by nolegrl; 12-23-2018 at 08:03 AM.

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what you want for travel to cold climates is a hip length down jacket, and look for 800-850 fill down for max warmth. There are lots of choices/brands/colors and now they're beginning to discount them seasonally.

Here's an example from REI, 850 fill goose down, price reduced from $219 to $150. The whole thing weighs 11.5 oz. REI abides by "Responsible Down Standards". Four colors but not all sizes are available in each color.

https://www.rei.com/product/136882/r...-hoodie-womens

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast