Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up the REI 650 Down Parka and REI Pike Street Trench on sale over the summer, and the two of them layer beautifully to make a warm, waterproof, packable solution. While neither specifically packs into its own pocket or comes with a stuff sack, they are both lightweight and compressible. I roll them both up and stuff them side-by-side into a Size 4 Stuff Sack with a pair of gloves, and I can stash that easily in the S25 chin pocket or a side compartment of the Aeronaut.

https://www.rei.com/product/136927/r...ch-coat-womens

https://www.rei.com/product/119115/r...n-parka-womens
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    Hmm...that's an interesting point. For me, I'd only travel by air to get anywhere that has the appropriate weather to use this coat. I imagine I'd only use it maybe once a year, but more likely once every few years. This would be a back of my closet, "I have one if I ever need it" winter coat. As nice as packable is, is it worth the upcharge for sporadic use like this? Also, is the packable gear actually as warm as this? I feel like packable gear will have to sacrifice extra fabric or other materials that help provide additional warmth in order to be packable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Hmm... that's a tricky one. Would you rather have the compromise be that every year or three, you kind of struggle to carry or wear your big warm parka through your home airport, or would you rather the compromise be that you spend a bit more and are possibly still cold on your trips north?

Only you can decide of course. If it is truly too warm to wear the parka in the airport, and you don't want to carry it draped over your arm, you might see if you could fit it in a sleeping bag stuff sack and carry it as a personal item?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...that's an interesting point. For me, I'd only travel by air to get anywhere that has the appropriate weather to use this coat. I imagine I'd only use it maybe once a year, but more likely once every few years. This would be a back of my closet, "I have one if I ever need it" winter coat. As nice as packable is, is it worth the upcharge for sporadic use like this? Also, is the packable gear actually as warm as this? I feel like packable gear will have to sacrifice extra fabric or other materials that help provide additional warmth in order to be packable.

If it will only be an annually worn item, at best, then it may not be worth the extra cost. But if you can find one on sale (especially at this time of year) then Id go for it. Good luck!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Hmm... that's a tricky one. Would you rather have the compromise be that every year or three, you kind of struggle to carry or wear your big warm parka through your home airport, or would you rather the compromise be that you spend a bit more and are possibly still cold on your trips north?

Only you can decide of course. If it is truly too warm to wear the parka in the airport, and you don't want to carry it draped over your arm, you might see if you could fit it in a sleeping bag stuff sack and carry it as a personal item?
    That's a good point. I have no issues carrying an extra piece of clothing around (especially if I'm going carry-on/backpack only as I tend to do) and I'd rather be warm at my destination.

As a side note, I apologize to the OP of this thread, I kinda took it away from the original discussion, so carry-on with the intended topic.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For hats, I wear this Columbia Thermal Beanie both in not so cold Seattle and visiting the family in much colder Kansas.

It is admittedly not the most attractive, but the thermal reflective inside really does provide warmth without bulk and I can easily stuff it in my jacket pocket when I take it off.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good point. I have no issues carrying an extra piece of clothing around (especially if I'm going carry-on/backpack only as I tend to do) and I'd rather be warm at my destination.

As a side note, I apologize to the OP of this thread, I kinda took it away from the original discussion, so carry-on with the intended topic.

It's me, I am the OP, so it was my fault really as I love a good tangent. :-)

If you are carrying a big coat around an airport you might want to make sure your hat, mitts, etc fit securely in the coat pockets so you don't also have to carry them separately. There, we are safely back on track! ;-)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's me, I am the OP, so it was my fault really as I love a good tangent. :-)

If you are carrying a big coat around an airport you might want to make sure your hat, mitts, etc fit securely in the coat pockets so you don't also have to carry them separately. There, we are safely back on track! ;-)
    Ha ha! I didn't even realize. Good point about the accessories.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LL Bean, Lands End, etc all have Primaloft down-type jackets/vests that are considerably less bulky than traditional down puffers and zip into their own pockets for easy packability. They're quite warm (at least, relative to their bulk). You won't want to use them for an antarctic expedition but for a lot of urban winter travel they're great.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pvn View Post
    LL Bean, Lands End, etc all have Primaloft down-type jackets/vests that are considerably less bulky than traditional down puffers and zip into their own pockets for easy packability. They're quite warm (at least, relative to their bulk). You won't want to use them for an antarctic expedition but for a lot of urban winter travel they're great.
    Agreed. Previous conversation about big coats aside, I love my Patagonia Ultralight Down Hoody, which packs into its own chest pocket. I got it specifically for urban winter travel where the temperature varies considerably from day to day and I have to carry any extra layers (also known as Winter in Britain). Plus Patagonia have very high ethical standards for their down, although their Nano Puff jacket is all synthetic for those who would prefer to avoid down entirely.

I'd like to try a Patagonia Torrentshell but for the next few years I have a packable LLBean rain jacket that does the job fine.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @nolegrl , just wanted to add to my earlier post and link to a newer version of the "I'm moving to Canada" parka I got 20 years ago. It's on sale! I got this one because it's rated down to minus 40 degrees, which it regularly was when I lived there.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/product/w...parka/20612700
    I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I got a shipping notification from Eddie Bauer on December 31st and I still haven't received it. The tracking number they gave me is invalid and the order status page says that it's still "preparing for shipment". They already charged my card because it "shipped", so I just cancelled the order.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I got a shipping notification from Eddie Bauer on December 31st and I still haven't received it. The tracking number they gave me is invalid and the order status page says that it's still "preparing for shipment". They already charged my card because it "shipped", so I just cancelled the order.

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. Together with your eBay woes, that's just a big pile of rotten online luck.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear, sorry to hear that. Together with your eBay woes, that's just a big pile of rotten online luck.
    I know it. I'm just not meant to be an online consumer this year.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3