Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best packable winter accessories

Anyone want to share their favourite small-packing winter gear?

Today I bought a Rohan necktube in my favourite colour "Dark Petrol" (like a dark Fjord). It is like a Buff but better for me as I find their merino ones scratchy, and I don't like their colors. The Rohan one is 50/50 merino/polyester and folds down so small it fits in a Mini OP! Right now it lives at the bottom of my TC in a Mini OP. They have 150 and 200gsm ones on their site, the Dark Petrol one is 150.

https://www.rohan.co.uk/womens-trave...telle-Necktube

I also had with me some fleece touchscreen gloves from Lands End. Now that I own touchscreen gloves I don't want anything else! These are light and pack down well. I hesitate to post the link though because I received two faulty pairs (both faulty pairs were blue, the black ones work fine).

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eddie Bauer 650 down packable puff jacket, fits into the bottom pocket of an s19 and kept me warm in temps going as low as 20 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn Tough merino wool socks (I think SmartWool quality has fallen off the last couple of years, but my DT one's are going strong).

Merino wool shirts in general... I go for lighter weight, both because I run hot and because it's easier to layer and adjust as the temp changes...
    For merino in general you can wear several times before washing, so you travel with fewer clothes in general.

Merrell mocs... they go with everything except a dress or suit, are super comfy, and have really good treads... unless I know I'm going to encounter major snow, that's the only shoe I wear/bring... they're water resistant (they also make a WP version) and with the merino socks, keep you warm & dry

The touchscreen gloves you mentioned are useful, as are Buff's or the other brands.

Oddly enough, and it's not super small, but I tend to travel in the winter with a heavy duty ice scrapper (no metal) because the ones in rental cars are pathetic if you encounter real ice.
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF&CP; Blk/Canyon S19; Steel Halcyon/Solar S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon Luminary

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very happy with the down coat I bought at REI this year (REI brand). I have been avoiding down ever since I learned that it isn't always ethically harvested, but REI says theirs is. The shorter version of this coat packs into its own pocket; I chose the thigh-length version which does not pack into its pocket, but it still squishes into a small space and is nice and warm. I would categorize this as a light winter coat, suitable for late fall and early winter (and late winter and early spring) but not for deep winter in Boston or Minnesota.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Silk thermals! They pack up super small.
    - Gordini stash lite mittens. They fold up small into their own cuffs and are warmer than any other thin glove I've had, and it breaks the wind.
    - These wool gloves by icebreaker. Like the mittens, they're warmer than their lack of bulk would suggest.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only pack / travel in layers in the winter - unless it's extremely cold and I really have to have that giant down parka out.

Living in sweden (not as cold as people think, but definitely not FL) I have found that for jacket I have been fine with a packable down jacket and a goretex mid thigh length shell jacket worn together. That way I can use them together or separate - for instance wearing the down jacket on a long flight is great. Both pack away nicely to.
    https://www.uniqlo.com/eu/en/product...ight-down11220 - I have had several of these and find them to be good and affordable.
    https://arcteryx.com/se/en/shop/womens/andra-coat (quite pricey if paying retail, which I am very much against , but have had it for.... 5 years or so by now and I use it autumn, winter and spring and it still looks like new)

I love these wool lined leather mittens:
    https://www.cosstores.com/en_sek/wom...524862001.html
    As opposed to most mittens these dont take any space at all and keeps me warm.

One tip for larger down jackets: A compression stuff sack will do wonders if you do need to pack it - much better I find for larger items than compression packing cubes. I have several off the SeaToSummit eVac DrySacks and using that and a little patience I can get my giant down parka down into something vaguely american football sized and shaped. (It'll need to hang a bit to poof back out).
    https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-eV...ack&th=1&psc=1

For anything else I pack and wear merino wool items when possible
    Last edited by Apresski; 12-18-2018 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Boredom in hotelroom...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twosandalz View Post
    - Gordini stash lite mittens. They fold up small into their own cuffs and are warmer than any other thin glove I've had, and it breaks the wind.
    Just bought a pair for my mum for Christmas--thanks for the rec!
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Patagonia Men's Nano Puff Jacket is maybe the most versatile jacket I've ever owned for cool weather and a fairly wide range of temps. Mind you, I live in a mild climate....N. California, but the nights get cool and winter days and nights even more so. We recently went on a late September 10 day Southwest archaeological tour in the Four Corners area; minimum altitudes 6,000 feet or higher. Weather is changeable during the day due to mountains and altitude. Mornings were 40 or low 40s, daytime highs around 70, etc. This is the only jacket I took. The whole thing weighs 11.9 oz/337 gr. (10 oz. for women) according to Patagonia's site.

The product must be popular because they offer it in a lot of colors. While in the field each day during the trip, when the day warmed up, I was able to stuff this jacket into my daily carry bag, which was a Medium Cafe Bag, although other things were in the Bag. Yes, it was tight but doable. Or, easily hang it across the MCB shoulder strap while carrying the bag, or sometimes leave it on the tour bus. Also, it stuffs into its own chest pocket. For those concerned about down, Patagonia uses its proprietary synthetic insulation in this jacket. Is it equivalent to down? I have no idea. I don't work for Patagonia and have no connection to them.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my Arcteryx Atom Lt. I own both the jacket and the vest. Often they might be found on sale up to 30% off.
    Nano does not breath well, I have both and the Atom is far superior in all aspects and IMO warmer.
    Arcteryx Pros
    Excellent fit (slim/athletic).
    Better venting during athletic activities (side vents).
    Better styling to my eyes (subjective).
    Not shiny (subjective).
    Great sleeve cuff fit (stretchy).
    Cons:
    Wind can go through easily (tradeoff for venting much better during activity).
    Doesn't pack into its own pocket (can pack into sleeve though (YouTube it).
    Patagonia Pros:
    Warmer when idle. Better for people who are not active. (can be pro or con)
    Very comfortable
    Water resistant (maybe a tad more than the arc)
    Packs into its own pocket
    Cons:
    Fit is standard which means if you have an athletic build it will not fit as well as the atom (on men)
    More frumpy looking
    Both jackets are lightweight and pack-able and either one would be fine. They both have good hoods (Hood version models. Mine dont have hoods). If you are going to be in very wet windy conditions a hard shell / rain jacket will do wonders. I'm the end I believe it comes down to fit. Go try them both on (REI or similar if you are in the States) and that will make your decision easy. For me the Arcteryx fit like a second skin while the Patagonia is much too wide in the waist and the sleeves area tad too long.
    I will add the women's nano puffs fit much better than the men's. In fact, a large women's fit me better than the medium men's. Hope that helps. Patagonia always runs small.

Edit: For upper body protection , either of these, a OR Helium II, Patagonia Torrentshell (or other lightweight package rain jacket. I am using Marmot Preclip and love it) and a synthetic or merino long-sleeved base layer will handle temps down to freezing and below (I am using Minus 33 stuff and now defunct Ibex brand). If you add up the ounces we are talking ~25 ounces which is amazing for lightweight travel.
    Last edited by Petros.Kyrillos; 12-19-2018 at 06:45 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay for presents! I'm looking at a second pair for myself in a larger size to layer over liner gloves.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any recommendations for a native Floridian for packable winter gear that will actually keep me warm? Anything under 60F is freezing to me, my cold tolerance is ziltch. I feel like a lot of the packable stuff works for people used to cold weather, but it doesn't cut it for people used to warmer climates.

I tend to travel with heavy sweaters and many underlayers to keep me warm if I need to visit my sister in Illinois (Springfield area) in the winter and half the time the stuff I bring doesn't do squat to keep me warm so I'll buy clothes there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rab makes a lot of down jackets that are relatively affordable and pack down into a small pouch. The lighter Rab jackets can be stuffed into their own pockets, but if you're going to Chicago in winter, you are going to need a heavier coat.

This won't work for extreme cold, but outdoor research ascendant sensor gloves are fantastic. I don't like fleece gloves, and these are one of the few with leather palms and fingers that can control a phone.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a packable down coat from Lands End that I’m packing for Chicago. But I’m used to cold weather...

I’d suggest you get some silky long underwear or merino wool layers, which should keep you warm under packable down. Get a nice blanket scarf or similar and really warm gloves.

I don’t think I’ve ever been colder that walking down Michigan Ave in winter! Even the big dogs out for their walks wear sweaters and booties!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another suggestion is that a warm hat makes a big difference. I'm kinda sensitive to cold, too. Yes, it'll affect your hairdo, which is one reason why otherwise rational people go hatless in cold weather, but body heat escapes from the head among other places. Get yourself a nice cashmere or fleece stocking cap or something like that.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    I have a packable down coat from Lands End that Iím packing for Chicago. But Iím used to cold weather...

Iíd suggest you get some silky long underwear or merino wool layers, which should keep you warm under packable down. Get a nice blanket scarf or similar and really warm gloves.

I donít think Iíve ever been colder that walking down Michigan Ave in winter! Even the big dogs out for their walks wear sweaters and booties!
    Thanks! I actually just bought an Icebreaker Merino wool base layer earlier this week. I have some long underwear that I purchased up there one time. I remember we had to buy it from the men's department because they didn't have it in the women's. My sister said it was out of season (I think this was in March), but it was like 40 degrees out, that doesn't feel out of season for me! Lol.

What do you recommend for gloves/hat? My sister has some for me, but they're the cheap cotton ones. They work, but not well. I found the hat (even the cheap cotton one she has for me) made a huge difference in my comfort. I generally hate hats, but I'm a believer in the winter.

Even though I don't experience it regularly, I'd like to have a few pieces of actual winter gear so that if I do travel up north, I'll be ready. I do have a real winter coat...at my sister's house. That's not very helpful if I want to travel elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I have to do all my shopping online since they don't stock real winter items in stores here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast