Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossedbooker View Post
    Years ago I sold books on ebay. For about five years it helped supplement my income, and I made a decent amount of sales (and feedback). Then, around 2009, ebay drastically changed their rules for paypal disputes and essentially all the buyer had to do was complain about any aspect of the transaction and their money was refunded. I sold a rare book for $300, and lo and behold the buyer had buyer's remorse about a week after receiving it. My description was accurate, item was well packed and arrived two days after payment. But I lost the dispute and the buyer refused to send back the book. Meanwhile my Paypal balance went negative and I refused to authorize a payment to them. I still had to pay my ebay fees and my paypal fees, plus the cost of shipping...So I let them take me to collections, but I fought the collection agency. And I won.

Unfortunately, though I won my paypal account was forcibly closed, and I had to stop selling on ebay. While the financial hit was hard, the headache of dealing with the new rules (that constantly change to benefit the buyer) really wasn't worth it. I miss the old ebay where it featured little sellers instead of massive operations selling goods from China for pennies and was a fair deal. Paypal is a nightmare too if you ever have to deal with their customer service...
    Wow that's a mess. If it comes down to it, I'll just take a loss on this, but out of principle this is just complete bs. It's their word against ours and eBay (it seems) will side with them before us.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    Wow that's a mess. If it comes down to it, I'll just take a loss on this, but out of principle this is just complete bs. It's their word against ours and eBay (it seems) will side with them before us.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    It really is a pile of bs. And ebay will almost always side with the buyer. It's always amazed me because without sellers to sell stuff there wouldn't be buyers and transactions and fees.
    One piece of advice for those that choose to fight Paypal and a collection agency: Do it legitimately through paperwork and the law, and you will win. Unlike the cluster**** that is Paypal's regulations, the law has stringent rules without a strong bias based on profit.
    Good luck, and I'm sorry for this craptastic situation.
    Aubergine/steel MB, Aubergine/wasabi pilot , Aubergine/island SE, Aubergine/NWS Lswift, Black/fjord Sswift, Alphaviolet/NWS S25, Alphaviolet/viridian SK, Black/UV S19...and buying more! Aubergine and Alphaviolet lover!!!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím a U.K. eBay seller (and buyer). Granted, most sales go fine but a few donít. And eBay always sides with the buyer. These infrequent sales are really unfair to honest sellers and put you out of pocket.

I do keep going back to eBay to list items but Iím ready to find another option. We donít really have craigslist here in the U.K. but a platform called Gumtree seems to work.

However, if posting and using PayPal for payments, you still have to be careful that they donít make a PayPal claim (who again side more often with buyers). Ive asked buyers to send money as a friend/family option rather than as a purchase to avoid PayPalís buyer protection.

This may seem a bit unfair to the buyer, but Iím not a business. Iím a personal seller of my personal items. I list honestly and donít want to be taken advantage of by eBay or PayPalís buyer biased agenda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS) & (Black/Steel), Tristar (Steel/Island), Cadet (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Black Halcyon/Iberian), Synapse 19 (Grey/UV), Ristretto 13 (Steel/NWS), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Co-Pilot (Steel/Wasabi), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel), Daylight Backpack (Burnt Orange), Daylight Briefcase (Black Halcyon) PLUS more 'bits' than you can shake a stick at!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    Iím a U.K. eBay seller (and buyer). Granted, most sales go fine but a few donít. And eBay always sides with the buyer. These infrequent sales are really unfair to honest sellers and put you out of pocket.

I do keep going back to eBay to list items but Iím ready to find another option. We donít really have craigslist here in the U.K. but a platform called Gumtree seems to work.

However, if posting and using PayPal for payments, you still have to be careful that they donít make a PayPal claim (who again side more often with buyers). Ive asked buyers to send money as a friend/family option rather than as a purchase to avoid PayPalís buyer protection.

This may seem a bit unfair to the buyer, but Iím not a business. Iím a personal seller of my personal items. I list honestly and donít want to be taken advantage of by eBay or PayPalís buyer biased agenda.

Thanks! It sounds like eBay will refund them as long as they provide a police report, so if they comply, they'll get their money (and a free backpack) and I won't need to deal with PayPal. If they don't comply and go to PayPal, I'd be really surprised if they allow a refund.

I see your point about requesting the "friends and family" payment, but I feel like that might get you banned from eBay selling at some point. I'm not sure if it's against their rules to request a different payment type. Also, buyers risk purchasing on eBay because they have protection. A seller can scam a buyer just as easily and as a buyer, I feel better making a purchase knowing I have protection.

Unfortunately, then you get the people like this buyer who take advantage of it. It's crummy when they do it to corporations, but extra crummy when they do it to individual sellers. eBay treats us like a corporate business and we aren't. We don't have endless stock and funds, we're cleaning out our closets and selling what we find. There really needs to be better seller protection for individuals.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post

I've never thought to check Gumtree, have you found other TB stuff there for sale?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I've never thought to check Gumtree, have you found other TB stuff there for sale?
    Iíve seen the odd one or two things on Gumtree (although nowhere near as many as on eBay). Iím selling a few bits on eBay now but almost ready to pull the listings and put it all on Gumtree.

Also Iím going to start using the forum trade feature here to advertise/highlight the gumtree listings. Just so fed up with eBay.

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS) & (Black/Steel), Tristar (Steel/Island), Cadet (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Black Halcyon/Iberian), Synapse 19 (Grey/UV), Ristretto 13 (Steel/NWS), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Co-Pilot (Steel/Wasabi), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel), Daylight Backpack (Burnt Orange), Daylight Briefcase (Black Halcyon) PLUS more 'bits' than you can shake a stick at!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2