Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on Ulysses writing app?

Does anyone use Ulysses as their writing app? Pros/cons from real-person experience?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havenít used Ulysses, but I am a big fan of Scrivener. I have read various comparisons between the two. Here is a good review: https://zapier.com/blog/ulysses-scrivener/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Scrivener fan here! Ulysses just recently released an updated version I think so I havenít checked out the newest one.

Originally I went with Scrivener because of its workflow. I use the program to write and plan my exams. Itís organization is hard to beat and itís output options are fantastic.

Using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on Ulysses writing app?

I use Scrivener to plan out content for websites, to write and organize books and guides, and as an organizing tool for projects of any size. I love that Scrivener accepts any sort of file attachments dragged into the Research area, including html dragged from Safari. I canít remember if Ulysses also does that.

Also, Scrivener is available on Windows while Ulysses is Mac only.

I rarely use the Compile feature of Scrivener, although that is supposedly where it shines in comparison to other writing apps, as it has a lot of tweakable settings. Some have said they find the interface of Scrivener more confusing and cluttered than other writing apps, but Scrivenerís interface is also highly customizable, so you can hide panels you donít need.

It may come down to what your usage needs are. I often use Scrivener as an organizer, and I like that every snippet, image or item in Scrivener can have notes or metadata attached to it. Makes it very easy to search, plan, organize, categorize, and rearrange anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm a bit leery of buying into their syncing system. I'm old enough that I've seen a lot of technology come and go, so I try to choose software that is future-proof in that even if the company making it goes away, I wouldn't lose much data or even functionality.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Ulysses. Simple, sleek and doesn't get in the way of writing. I have and use Scrivener on rare occasions but find it too powerful, if that makes sense. My first novel and early blog posts started on Scrivener but I migrated to Ulysses for 95% of my writing almost five years ago. Four novels, many internal work documents and a number of blog posts later, I'm still a fan. Doesn't stop me from test driving other apps, but none have really clicked for me.

On the slight downsides, it was a lift for me to get used to Markup but now I have a hard time without it. Writing on Word or Google docs can be exasperating. Also, Ulysses is Mac / iPad / iPhone only but I'm very invested in the Apple ecosystem so no biggie for me. My biggest complaint, which also applies to most writing apps today, is the lack of collaboration tools. My alpha readers and my editor all like Google Docs for collab/editing but that requires syncing a lot of files manually.

Jerry
    Last edited by dephyingra; 03-15-2019 at 06:02 PM.