Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chaimonkey View Post
    I second this. Turkey has fabulous food. I was surprised by how much incredible seafood I had access to in İstanbul. And the street food: simit (kidn of like a bagel, encrusted with sesame seeds) with a cup of strong çay (tea)! Can't wait to go back Smilie
    If it touches the Mediterranean, it has excellent food. Smilie That's my rule for Europe.

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    If it touches the Mediterranean, it has excellent food. Smilie That's my rule for Europe.
    This is a good rule. Holds true for Israel, Lebanon, Italy, Croatia, Morocco, Egypt, etc. etc.
    Small Cafe Bag in Deep Blue/Grass - Medium Cafe Bag in Alphaviolet/Cloud - Pop Tote in Olive - S19 in Deep Blue/Iberian; Side Kicks in Aubergine/Island Halcyon, Verde/Ultraviolet, and Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - Side Effect in Nordic Halcyon/Northwest Sky Halcyon - S25 in Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - S25 in Aubergine/Island Halcyon

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for Turkey! Everything we had there was so fresh - fruit, vegetables, seafood (especially by the beach in Turgutreis), bread... We had a couple of wonderful meals at an Ottoman-style restaurant in Istanbul. Yum. Oh, and I love dondurma!! Even better than gelato!

Also agree with aedifica that I have had memorable meals in many places. Some of the highlights, off the top of my head:

- A minestrone that I had in a restaurant in Rome. I don't know what they put in it - someone later suggested it was truffle oil - but I remember it was three times as expensive as the other soup they had on the menu, and so I ordered it out of curiosity. It was worth every penny.
    - Bistecca in a little open-air place in Forte dei Marmi. It was a hot day but oh my, that sizzling plate of goodness was so delicious.
    - a giant Nutella crepe at the airport in Toronto. Really! We sometimes hope for stopovers there, just so we can order the crepes. Big Grin
    - Soba at a nameless roadside spot in Okinawa. The line was out the door. I still think about that soup a lot.
    - Teriyaki omutaco (omelette served on top of rice), ordered in a fast food court, and consumed on a terrace overlooking the ocean.
    - Roast crackling pork belly (Philippine-style) from a storefront in a suburban strip mall in Maryland.
    - a three-course meal served in my friend's garden by her husband, who happens to be French and a chef Smilie
    - Laotian food served out of a food truck in DC

So I couldn't say which cuisine is the "best"! I find that for me comfort food is often Asian. But I appreciate dishes from many, many different traditions!!

Quote Originally Posted by chaimonkey View Post
    I second this. Turkey has fabulous food. I was surprised by how much incredible seafood I had access to in İstanbul. And the street food: simit (kidn of like a bagel, encrusted with sesame seeds) with a cup of strong çay (tea)! Can't wait to go back Smilie

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, have had some amazing meals while traveling:

- An absolutely mind-blowing roasted bone-in pork shoulder (Schäufele, in German) served with potatoes and gravy (maybe there was parsley for garnish, but definitely a meat-and-potatoes meal) at a Bavarian-style restaurant in the old medieval section of Nuremberg

- A delightful surprise of a vegetarian restaurant in Dublin called Cornucopia, which we loved so much we went there three times during our week in Dublin. It's located a short walk from Trinity College.

- A stereotype-defying meal of Swedish meatballs, greens, and roast veggies at a restaurant in the old section of Stockholm, a city which seems to have more coffee shops than any other I've visited!

- A bone-warming bowl of chile verde at a hole-in-the-wall cafe in Dillon, Colorado, right off Interstate 70 on the way to Breckenridge, which really hit the spot on the day I went, where the mercury had dipped to a balmy -10F

- And how can I forget the true wonder of roadside lobster rolls, noshed on a biobreak whilst driving from Danbury CT to Rangeley Lake, Maine?

Eating is some of the best part of traveling, IMO.
    Small Cafe Bag in Deep Blue/Grass - Medium Cafe Bag in Alphaviolet/Cloud - Pop Tote in Olive - S19 in Deep Blue/Iberian; Side Kicks in Aubergine/Island Halcyon, Verde/Ultraviolet, and Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - Side Effect in Nordic Halcyon/Northwest Sky Halcyon - S25 in Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - S25 in Aubergine/Island Halcyon

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is making me hungry.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as I remember so far,

- best dumplings in Nagoya (Japan)

- simple pizzas in Milan (Italia) (simple is the best)

- excellent ramen at a Japanese restorant in Paris (France) (Kotteri Ramen Naritake if you're curious)

- too spicy too good mabotofu at a Korean restorant in Nagoya (Japan)

- best fish soup at my godmother's mother (France)

- best French* fries at my godfather Wink (France) (*French/Belgium, doesn't matter :P)
    Last edited by Rei; 03-22-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've travelled in Europe, North America, and a little bit in South America (Brazil). My very favourite place to eat is New Mexico, USA. I can't get enough of green chilis, posole, tamales, fresh corn tortillas, the incredible corn chips -- plus the additions of hippy America, great salads, wonderful tea and chai, good coffee, easily available -- and a lot of fresh and fun style.

It's not my favourite place to buy groceries to cook myself though, I guess the restaurants know where to go because I can't find good ingredients, in particular the meat in the supermarkets is not nice, the cheese is bad, the tomatoes are mealy -- I'm only happy to cook at my mom's because they grow their own tomatoes and get meat from locals. My favourite place to buy groceries in markets is France!

Or also London. London is a strong contender (but for the absence of green chilis) -- so much good food everywhere and you can shop at Borough Market too.

Sweden where I live now has great potato dishes and excellent pickles and preserves, as well as good bread and the wonderful wonderful cardamom and cinnamon rolls available everywhere. The meat is good, especially game, and there are interesting spices like juniper berries and saffron that are used more often than elsewhere. But the cuisine is not very inventive.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit of a Japanophile, in case you haven't noticed, and I do think Japan has consistently excellent food. This includes traditional dishes:

Which country has the best food?-m-jpg

Which country has the best food?-2013-06-01-13-58-35-jpg

Which country has the best food?-2013-06-01-13-14-52-2-jpg

and more modern dishes!

Which country has the best food?-img_2003-jpg
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This question for me is hard. Turkey, as has been mentioned a lot, is a terrific 'food' country for having high quality, delicious food nearly everywhere and reasonably priced. Hong Kong has more Michelin starred restaurants than Paris. In Italy, they know how to make simple but top notch ingredients shine. But, if I had to pick one, I think I'd pick Malaysia. Incredible fruits, vegetables, and seafood, and excellent Chinese, South Indian and Malay food--plus Nonya--a product of multi-racial Chinese-Malay families. I'm headed back to KL this September and my mouth is already watering just thinking about it.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best is subjective, but my best is pretty popular, and on the list - Japanese food. Doesn't hurt that I don't feel very sinful after every meal and yet find myself full. Thinking about Japan is making me crave for okonomiyaki...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm Vietnamese so probably I'm pretty biased on Asian food, and also I think every countries serve best food because every cultures are unique on their own. But top of my list include (while typing this I realized I need to be more diverse and def must travel more... also in no particular order):

Vietnamese Pho (beef/chicken)
    Vietnamese Bun Bo Hue
    Vietnamese Mi Quang
    Vietnamese Mi Vit Tiem
    Chinese Xian Noodles (spicy beef/lamb)
    Thai Boat Noodles
    Thai Tom Kah Gai
    Thai Tom Yum Pla (fish)
    Mexican Sope (al pastor/adobada)
    Mexican Sincronizada (asada)
    Japanese Miso Soup
    Japanese Ramen (tonkotsu/niku udon)
    Japanese Sashimi (of course!)
    Korean Kimchi
    Korean Jajangmyeon
    Dominican Sancocho

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, @anv! I haven't tried everything on your list, but the things I have tried are things that I too really like. (Pho, tom ka gai, etc.)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the food in India and I'd also second the suggestion for the US.

This reply is so short because I now need to make a beeline for my refrigerator!

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweden. Most people don't expect that. Their food is very natural and fresh. Lots of French influence due to historical ties with France and Switzerland, but without burying everything with sauces. Sauces, yes, but light. Much of their fare is fresh from the woods, lakes, rivers, or sea. Best of all, you don't have to worry about drinking the water or eating the food. No such thing as Montezuma's revenge there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2