Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which country has the best food?

I saw this on CNN and as someone who's spent like a year traveling in Mexico now, I was pleasantly surprised it made the list. So I thought I'd pose the same question to you all: what's your favorite destination for food? Any modifications you'd make to CNN's list? I've never been to China, but now my appetite is growing for a visit, so to speak.

Which country has the best food?-img_20190306_195956-jpg

(This is from Morelia, Michoacán, Mexico)

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've enjoyed the food everywhere I've gone! Some of the memorable meals:

* Holy basil fried rice with chicken in several cities around Bangkok
    * A salmon dish whose name I don't remember, in Helsinki
    * Tyropita in Athens
    * Spaghettieis in Wülfrath, Germany
    * So many pastries in Montreal, and so many dumplings in Montreal's Chinatown, and the aji de gallina at Mochica
    * Red Leicester cheese on crumpets in a vacation flat in London, and the prix fixe menu with the crispy aromatic duck at Joy King Lau
    * Xiaolongbao at Din Tai Fung in Seattle, and ordering omakase at Shiro's Sushi
    * Margherita Extra at Punch Pizza in Minneapolis, and just about anything at the Birchwood Cafe
    * Asmara Tibsy and Tikil Gomen at Asmara in Cambridge, Massachusetts

The food in your photo looks delicious!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just try to eat as local as possible when we travel abroad. We have had many interesting meals everywhere we have gone in Europe. The most memorable was a meal of meatballs, mashed potatoes and lingonberries in a tiny place in Stockholm. It was amazing.

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent 9 years in the Navy, so the places I visited weren't always the most scenic if they were adjacent to a big pier! We loved finding local places to eat but always tried to eat at McDonald's (once) in each new place. It's fun to see how the menu differs. Then, we'd ask around to find out what their version of pizza was like!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To flip the subject a bit, by far the worst food I've ever had is stinky tofu in Taiwan. People said the smell is much worse than the taste, but that doesn't mean it tastes good. Also, it's not like cheese, where smelly cheese is often mild. This stuff has a very strong smell and a strong taste. It's worth trying though, because there is nothing that I've ever had with that mix of crumbly texture and smell.

Forum Member
    Maryland
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Restauracja Starka in Krakow, Poland was one of the best meals I've ever experienced and for starters, mains, dessert followed by several hand-flavored vodkas with tip was an astoundingly $40 US dollars. And that was for two of us - total.

The Cellar Door in Edinburgh was excellent and introduced us to the glory of sticky toffee pudding.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably not a popular answer but the US wins this easily IMO. There's just way more variety than anywhere else. Sure there's lots of incredibly bad food but there's more good food than anywhere else by a huge margin. Even on a per capita basis the US almost certainly wins.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love variety, so I can’t say which is ‘best’, but I have learned in my travels to avoid eating meat in France. No offence meant, as the French make some excellent foods, and I’ve had some great dishes there, but they just can’t cook meat the way I’m used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    * Asmara Tibsy and Tikil Gomen at Asmara in Cambridge, Massachusetts
    I ate at an amazing Eritrean restaurant in Milan while I was on study abroad way back in 1999. All the Eritrean and Ethiopian food I've tried in the US has been disappointing so far. I'm adding Asmara to my list for next time I visit my best friend in Boston.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    I ate at an amazing Eritrean restaurant in Milan while I was on study abroad way back in 1999. All the Eritrean and Ethiopian food I've tried in the US has been disappointing so far. I'm adding Asmara to my list for next time I visit my best friend in Boston.
    Did you ever go to the Blue Nile, an Ethiopian restaurant that used to be on Franklin in Minneapolis before it closed? I'm wondering if it was one of the ones that disappointed you (I really liked it, but I don't have your Milanese Eritrean restaurant experience to compare to). I liked their tikil gomen better than I like Asmara's, since Asmara's is blander (but it's good too); and Asmara has other dishes I like that I don't remember from the Blue Nile, like the Asmara Tibsy and stuffed green peppers. I don't know how much is just individual variation between restaurants and how much is from the slight difference between traditional Ethiopian and Eritrean ingredients. (I know very little about that region, but I read that they're at different elevations and that has an effect on what foods grow easily.)

Now I really want to go to Asmara for supper! I don't think I will, though; if I went tonight I would go alone, and it's so much more fun to go with a small group and share everything.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peru has been our favorite for food. It is a gastronomic paradise.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lami View Post
    Peru has been our favorite for food. It is a gastronomic paradise.
    I was surprised by how good the food in Peru is! In Cusco especially, there are some really fantastic restaurants. Go Peru, go!

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far I’ve travelled to maybe 15 or so countries. German food was my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved the food in Turkey 20 years ago. It was a Smörgåsbord of amazing veggie dishes and delicious pudding desserts. And the tea was to die for. When I got back to the USA, I was so disappointed in the Turkish restaurants, because they were serving meat, meat, meat, and nothing else.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 03-21-2019 at 01:07 PM.

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I loved the food in Turkey 20 years ago. It was a Smörgåsbord of amazing veggie dishes and delicious pudding desserts. When I got back to the USA, I was so disappointed in the Turkish restaurants, because they were serving meat, meat, meat, and nothing else.
    I second this. Turkey has fabulous food. I was surprised by how much incredible seafood I had access to in İstanbul. And the street food: simit (kidn of like a bagel, encrusted with sesame seeds) with a cup of strong çay (tea)! Can't wait to go back
    Small Cafe Bag in Deep Blue/Grass - Medium Cafe Bag in Alphaviolet/Cloud - Pop Tote in Olive - S19 in Deep Blue/Iberian; Side Kicks in Aubergine/Island Halcyon, Verde/Ultraviolet, and Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - Side Effect in Nordic Halcyon/Northwest Sky Halcyon - S25 in Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - S25 in Aubergine/Island Halcyon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast