Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Kathryn! Thank you so much for those suggestions and ideas! I do like some vegetables, and I can probably figure out how to disguise the ones I'm on the fence about. Great idea to mimic world cuisine - then it feels like that's just the way the dish is, not that there's 'something missing'. I need to try your tacos, they sound amazing (it is dinner time here in England ). What a wonderful garden you had growing up! I enjoy gardening too. I can see I'm going to need to grow some of my own goodies.
    So many bags. And I love them all.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I should clarify that I'm flexitarian, lest you think I'm an expert at the transition or anything
    I love veg, grains, and beans - so it's easy for me to go days and weeks without meat and without noticing.

Oh, and unless your allergic, nuts & seeds add a lot of variety, texture, nutrients, 'good' fat, and protein - but pay attention to the calories, they add up fast.
    Got it. Thank you! I eat very little red meat, but I do like chicken and fish. Or.... I did. Yikes. This is going to be a process.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread! Altough I am not a declared vegetarian, 90% of the things I eat and cook are. I mainly eat vegetables and for proteins I mainly go for milk, joghurt, cheese, nuts, lentils, chickpeas and the like. Since I love to cook I am always looking for new cookbooks and although we have great cookbooks here in Europe I confess that my favorite cookbooks are those from America's Test Kitchen. They have a great one on vegan cooking "Vegan for Everybody" which I find really helpful to learn how to systematically substitute animal ingredients.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
    Thank you so much - I have been talking about it for years, but feel like now is the time. Honestly, I am only on Day 2, so I'm not sure how it all will go. I would love to get to the 'nothing with a face' point, but it may take a little time to figure it all out and see what works for me. I'm all about the info-gathering at the moment.
    Ok so my hubby and I went vegetarian (we still eat fish and eggs) about a month ago. I am the meat lover in the family, so it was hardest for me. Fish and eggs SAVED me. I always had a pot of hard boiled eggs (which we get from a neighbor, free range happy chickens) to slice up and put on toast or on a salad. That helped immensely. I CRAVED meat for about 2 weeks and ate fish instead. Now amazingly, I don't crave it, even when I smell BACON, my fave. We also eat very simply and don't mind eating the same thing repeatedly. Mainly, a veggie mix we make up and keep in the fridge to put on grains/legumes. We also make homemade soups which we can feast on all week. If I could offer any advice in our very limited vegetarian experience, it would be the following:

1. New recipes/cookbooks can be overwhelming when starting out. If there is an ingredient you are not familiar with or just too many ingredients, avoid for now

2. If you like the taste of something, you can eat repeatedly if it offers you some sanity. We eat soup with organic popcorn made with coconut oil for several meals a week and love it (so far)

3. Use your time off to prepare grains and veggies in advance and store them in fridge/freezer for easy access when you are busy.

4. Have a travel kit of snacks and staples so you can stick with it when away from home

5. Spices will save you! We use several Penzey's spices that we love and it makes all of our meals shine

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    Since I love to cook I am always looking for new cookbooks and although we have great cookbooks here in Europe I confess that my favorite cookbooks are those from America's Test Kitchen. They have a great one on vegan cooking "Vegan for Everybody" which I find really helpful to learn how to systematically substitute animal ingredients.
    Love those ATK folks! The science/chimestry behind the culinary really appeals to my inner geek
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

San Jose, CA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was looking for meal planners, I came across Forks over Knives, which has a pay-for meal planner. I decided not to go vegetarian, but it looked like a nice service. https://www.forksoverknives.com/meal-planner/

Forum Member
    Virginia, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clean Foods Dirty Girls has amazing plant based recipes...there are also posts specifically dealing with strategies for eating while traveling. One caution—the language may be offensive to some people. One option is to select “skip to the recipe”. .
    https://cleanfooddirtygirl.com/recipe-index/
    There is also a FB group.
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rarely cook meat, but have been doing so more recently. I have not found a plant-based diet that isn't very carbohydrate-heavy, and there is mounting evidence that dietary ills plaguing people have more to do with that. Anecdotally, avoiding meat has done nothing to improve my weight or general health. I'm going to try more hunter-gatherer, sticking to nutritive vegetables and berries, with most the caloric content coming from various meats (and probably sneaking some cheese in). I guess that's sort of what the keto thing is.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anna2222 View Post
    Ok so my hubby and I went vegetarian (we still eat fish and eggs) about a month ago. I am the meat lover in the family, so it was hardest for me. Fish and eggs SAVED me. I always had a pot of hard boiled eggs (which we get from a neighbor, free range happy chickens) to slice up and put on toast or on a salad. That helped immensely. I CRAVED meat for about 2 weeks and ate fish instead. Now amazingly, I don't crave it, even when I smell BACON, my fave. We also eat very simply and don't mind eating the same thing repeatedly. Mainly, a veggie mix we make up and keep in the fridge to put on grains/legumes. We also make homemade soups which we can feast on all week. If I could offer any advice in our very limited vegetarian experience, it would be the following:

1. New recipes/cookbooks can be overwhelming when starting out. If there is an ingredient you are not familiar with or just too many ingredients, avoid for now

2. If you like the taste of something, you can eat repeatedly if it offers you some sanity. We eat soup with organic popcorn made with coconut oil for several meals a week and love it (so far)

3. Use your time off to prepare grains and veggies in advance and store them in fridge/freezer for easy access when you are busy.

4. Have a travel kit of snacks and staples so you can stick with it when away from home

5. Spices will save you! We use several Penzey's spices that we love and it makes all of our meals shine

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing!
    Hi Anna! Gosh, thanks so much for that. It really is helpful to have some idea of how it is to go veggie when you like meat! You're absolutely right, the easier and more naturally you can slot it into existing habits, the better. I am not going to magically turn into a great veggie cook overnight, so.... baby steps. Thank you, I will let you know how it goes!

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandcache View Post
    Clean Foods Dirty Girls has amazing plant based recipes...there are also posts specifically dealing with strategies for eating while traveling. One caution—the language may be offensive to some people. One option is to select “skip to the recipe”. .
    https://cleanfooddirtygirl.com/recipe-index/
    There is also a FB group.
    Thanks, Grandcache, that sounds useful - I'll check them out! I'm not opposed to salty language - I have the Thug Kitchen cookbooks!

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jool View Post
    When I was looking for meal planners, I came across Forks over Knives, which has a pay-for meal planner. I decided not to go vegetarian, but it looked like a nice service. https://www.forksoverknives.com/meal-planner/
    How much would I love this, if we had such a thing in the UK?! That would make it so much easier. But if I did that, I would have no money for TB bags. ;D

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    I rarely cook meat, but have been doing so more recently. I have not found a plant-based diet that isn't very carbohydrate-heavy, and there is mounting evidence that dietary ills plaguing people have more to do with that. Anecdotally, avoiding meat has done nothing to improve my weight or general health. I'm going to try more hunter-gatherer, sticking to nutritive vegetables and berries, with most the caloric content coming from various meats (and probably sneaking some cheese in). I guess that's sort of what the keto thing is.
    It can all get so complicated, can't it? So much conflicting information. Really I'm doing it for the animals - if I experience health benefits, that would be fantastic. If it seems not to be working in some way, I'll have to readjust....

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been vegetarian for about 11 years and just switched to veganism about 5 months ago. One of the best tricks I've used is to follow the concept of "Green, Grain, Bean" from the No Meat Athlete blog. About 99% of my meals use this idea, as there are so many ways to mix it up. Grains can include pasta, especially ones that are made from rice, quinoa, etc. Greens can be veggies or standard greens like spinach or kale. And bean can mean tofu, tempeh, chickpea, or good old lentils. Use interesting sauces (Whole Foods has lots of good ones as you don't have a TJs) and spices, augment the standards with fun new meat alternatives (Beyond Meat is a great brand to try out, or Tofurky), and you'll be good to go for quite a while!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a gradual journey with food. I stopped eating mammals many years ago, because of ethics, it was followed by poultry because of meat quality.

Removing seafood and egg completely is harder. I go through phases, when I can eliminate them and eat more vegetables and fruits.

Cheese, I simply cannot remove, because it is so much a part of the food, I grew up with.

Other form of dairy, it is an uphill battle.

The late Antony Bourdain visited Punjab and growled: "give me that food everyday and I can become a vegetarian".

Between substituting ingredients in every family recipes, enjoy as take out or/and learn to make dishes from the long vegetarian traditions, it can be done.

There are also great ready made and easy to make vegan items that you can stack up in the fridge for a quick snack: like hummus, nut butters and tahini (sesame seed butter).
    The staple olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, vegan mayo, and aiolis (an herb and/or veggie combined with vegan mayo)
    Those meal in a fruit called avocado and banana, or a vegetable called potato.

Learn as much as you can and enjoy the new smells, flavors, textures, colors of your new culinary journey.

Share what your learned because it is such an exiting journey!
    Last edited by backpack; 03-21-2019 at 07:09 PM.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by runningtravels View Post
    I've been vegetarian for about 11 years and just switched to veganism about 5 months ago. One of the best tricks I've used is to follow the concept of "Green, Grain, Bean" from the No Meat Athlete blog. About 99% of my meals use this idea, as there are so many ways to mix it up. Grains can include pasta, especially ones that are made from rice, quinoa, etc. Greens can be veggies or standard greens like spinach or kale. And bean can mean tofu, tempeh, chickpea, or good old lentils. Use interesting sauces (Whole Foods has lots of good ones as you don't have a TJs) and spices, augment the standards with fun new meat alternatives (Beyond Meat is a great brand to try out, or Tofurky), and you'll be good to go for quite a while!
    Thanks, runningtravels! I am already branching out as much as I can ("no-chicken nuggets", tofu, etc.) and trying to be more creative! Sadly there isn't a Whole Foods near me, but I am scrutinising areas of the grocery story I had not ventured into before!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast