Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, backpack! I think as you say, it is very much a journey, and everyone has to make choices that work for them. I'm just beginning to find out what is possible for me! And yes, I guess as Bourdain says, the quality of the cooking can help a lot, so that's something to work on!! Thank you for the suggestions, I appreciate it!
    So many bags. And I love them all.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
    Thanks, runningtravels! I am already branching out as much as I can ("no-chicken nuggets", tofu, etc.) and trying to be more creative! Sadly there isn't a Whole Foods near me, but I am scrutinising areas of the grocery story I had not ventured into before!
    Oh, if you're looking at pseudo-meats I recommend Quorn if you can find it! I like their pseudo-chicken fillets and cutlets. I can sometimes find their stuff in the regular grocery store, otherwise I used to be able to get it at the co-op. I think they're from Britain so it might be easier for you to find than it is for me.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    Oh, if you're looking at pseudo-meats I recommend Quorn if you can find it! I like their pseudo-chicken fillets and cutlets. I can sometimes find their stuff in the regular grocery store, otherwise I used to be able to get it at the co-op. I think they're from Britain so it might be easier for you to find than it is for me.
    Thanks for the recommendation! Quorn is easy to get here. Tonight I had 'no-chicken' nuggets, sweet potato fries, and peas. The nuggets were okay. They are made by 'The Vegetarian Butcher', which is based in the Netherlands. My palate is still trying to decide what the heck that stuff was, but it was more edible than I expected! I've also got some Linda McCartney veggie sausages stashed in the freezer.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been experimenting with jackfruit and we really like it. I've made enchiladas and BBQ on buns with it. I do a lot of roasting of vegetables on a sheet pan, then combining them with a grain/bean or whatever you want (avocado, sauces). Freezing tofu prior to thawing/using somehow changes the texture and I use it that way often.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend just recommended this jackfruit taco recipee

https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com...ckfruit-tacos/
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    A friend just recommended this jackfruit taco recipee

https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com...ckfruit-tacos/
    That’s the blog I used for the “Six Ingredient Pulled Jackfruit” recipe! I’ve made it that way (stove top then oven) and just stove top-we couldn’t tell a big difference, but both were delicious.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackfruit is new to me and it is amazing that it can be a meat replacement, thanks for the tip threeteez and G42!

I was just about to post about another vegetable, easier to find worldwide, and a great meat substitute: mushrooms.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are another random fun thing, since @backpack mentioned mushrooms

They're dried and flavored shiitake mushrooms - crunchy like chips
    We had some to try at work and I liked them so much, they gave me the leftovers
    I prefer the 'original' flavor - don't know if they're selling that separately anymore

https://www.amazon.com/MudLrk-Shiita...ay&sr=8-1&th=1
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threeteez View Post
    I've been experimenting with jackfruit and we really like it. I've made enchiladas and BBQ on buns with it. I do a lot of roasting of vegetables on a sheet pan, then combining them with a grain/bean or whatever you want (avocado, sauces). Freezing tofu prior to thawing/using somehow changes the texture and I use it that way often.
    Thanks! I've heard of jackfruit, but have no idea what it's like, or even if we can get it here, but I'm going to look for it!

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threeteez View Post
    That’s the blog I used for the “Six Ingredient Pulled Jackfruit” recipe! I’ve made it that way (stove top then oven) and just stove top-we couldn’t tell a big difference, but both were delicious.
    Thank you! And, it's great to have an endorsement that they were good!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
    How much would I love this, if we had such a thing in the UK?! That would make it so much easier. But if I did that, I would have no money for TB bags. ;D
    It should be available in the UK--this is a meal planner, not a delivery service. They also have an app for phones or tablets, and an active Facebook group if you sign up for the meal planner. It all goes back to the movie by the same name, from a couple decades ago.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was raised a vegetarian, got away from it for a couple of decades, and got back to it with a mostly whole-foods, plant based diet starting about five years ago. I can tell you that you will find lots of joy in your new diet, with a lot of exciting new flavors as you get used to them.

My primary suggestion is to focus on building habits, and start simple with the easy ones. Breakfast should be fruit and carbs, like oatmeal or granola, or toast with peanut butter. About four days/week I have oatmeal with 1/4 cup mixed nuts, adding a dash of cinnamon, topped with fruit or with raisins or other dried fruit cooked into the oatmeal. The other days are typically toast, though on the weekend I'll do a tofu scramble (lots of veggies, with a little turmeric, and it's like scrambled eggs).

Lunch is a sandwich, with hummus or sliced veggie meat, or perhaps a salad instead.

For dinners, find things you like, perhaps an existing meal you can take the meat out of, or meals you can convert, and repeat until you get bored. Then branch out. My favorite meals include curries, southeast asian stir-fried veggies, Italian pasta or pizza, Mexican (beans & rice, or burritos/wraps or layered nachos), etc. Getting hungry just writing about it.

My favorite resource for nutrition info is: Nutrition Facts . They have a book and a cookbook with a lot of good info.

Any time you get tired of the effort or want to give up, remember any time you are cutting animal products out, especially cured or processed meats, and add more veggies, you're doing yourself a huge favor, even if you're not 100% vegan.
    Last edited by Jimbo3b; 04-10-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not vegetarian, but for years, one of my favorite cookbooks has been Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We made the decision to make our once-a-month company lunch vegetarian after this came out. Iíve personally been vegetarian my whole life and vegan for a number of years; I am currently eating vegetarian (some dairy, no eggs) and gluten-free.

So much good advice in this thread has been shared already. And I resonate with the thoughts shared by @Jimbo3b ó everything from Nutrition Facts for analysis of studies (with links to the sources/studies) on nutrition to keeping meals tasty and basic and tasty and not stressing about being 100% anything.

Most of my meals are:
    Burrito bowls, tacos, quesadillas, nachos
    Pasta or pizza
    Salads
    Smoothies

For me, this is easy-to-prepare comfort food type stuff. I make an effort to amp up my vegetable consumption, so my burrito bowl will have sauteed kale and purple cabbage, and roasted or seamed purple sweet potato ó in addition to guacamole, salsa, roasted peppers, and the other usuals.

I get some of my inspiration for what to cook at home from restaurants, and thatís what comes to mind when I think of figuring out how to incorporate tofu and tempeh. I first had a tempeh reuben (marinated tempeh, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, grated beet, russian dressing, dijon mustard, dill pickle slices, grilled on rye, mmm) at the Rebar in Victoria, B.C. and now I make them at home on a regular basis. (Pre-marinated tofu and tempeh is available at my local natural food stores, saving me some steps.) And in recent years, vegetarian options at restaurants (even non-vegetarian restaurants) have gotten so much better. A dish of carrots isnít an afterthought: theyíre perfectly roasted, with harissa and yogurt.

My favorite cookbooks right now:
    Ottolenghi Simple
    Six Seasons
    Season
    (none of the above are vegetarian, but they have a lot of great vegetarian recipes)
    Minimalist Bakerís Everyday Cooking (vegan)

As for low carb: I eat low-carb-ish vegetarian some days. I donít mind carbs, but eating low-carb is a way I can make more of my plate vegetable-focused. Those meals would look something like:

One or more of these:
    Steamed artichokes, asparagus, broccoli
    Sauteed kale, chard, collards, or purple cabbage
    Roasted root vegetables
    Cauliflower cheese bake
    Beets
    Zucchini or (or rutabaga!) noodles

With sides of:
    Nut pate of some kind (like soaked nuts, lemon juice, sundried tomatoes or pomegranate molasses, smoked paprika, lemon juice)
    Avocado
    Or butter, ghee, olive oil, lemon, chimichurri, yogurt, harissa, pesto, etc.

Here and there, Iíll make ďpotassium brothĒ instead of bone broth; recipe here although I personally don't add garlic) to drink and use as vegetable stock.

And beyond just food...

Supplement-wise, I take the following (all in liquid format)
    B-12 / B Complex
    Vegan Microalgae Omega 3 (the cool thing about this supplement: it's bio-equivalent to fish oil because it's the same seaweed that fish eat that makes them so rich in EPA and DHA but because the microalgae for these supplements is grown in a controlled environment, thereís not the worrisome contaminants that one can find in seafood)
    Vitamin D+K (living in Seattle and all...)
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super interesting on the Supplement: Vegan Microalgae Omega 3
    Thanks for sharing!
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast