Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel journals? your best ideas :-)

Hi, I'm thinking it might be fun to keep a little travel journal/sketchbook on my next trip. I don't usually do this and I wonder if any of you do and whether you might like to share some things that work well for you and some things that don't work so well. thanks!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about availability in Sweden (though it may be easier to find them than in the U.S.), but I really like the German company Leuchtturm's products. In particular, their Jottbook, which is A5 size and about 60 pages, makes a very light travel notebook. It fits into a lot of Tom Bihn products as well, including the Small Cafe Bag, Side Kick and A5 Ghost Whale Pouch.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I studied abroad years ago and learned I donít have the patience to compose lengthy journal entries. I took my A5 journal and turned it into a scrapbook instead. I taped ticket stubs, pieces of marketing materials, etc. to the pages instead and jotted little notes. I did a similar thing last year when I was in the UK. Iíd just pick up the flyer, map, business card, etc. of wherever we went and then cut and double-sided taped it into my little A6 Hobonichi Planner.

I love the pages. These are dated which is handy, but if Iíd gone with a regular journal, which Iíve done in the past, Iíd tape in an entry and then add a date and a few lines of context next it to.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the Bonjournal app to keep journals on many of my recent trips. Although it's an online tool, it is possible to download the journal as a PDF to print, if you want a physical copy. You can see my journals here:
    https://bonjourn.al/Denises?view=journals
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love notebooks - I must have 10 or 20 blank ones around here, all different covers. But when I travel I'm worried that I will lose the journal, along with all my older entries! So, I devote a fresh journal to each trip. I love the Moleskine Cahier in brown paper ("kraft") - they are small and light (and acid-free), and if I fill one up during a trip I just start a new one. I prefer unlined pages - good for both drawing and writing.

I don't tend to take special pens. My usual pens are Pilot G2 0.7mm, in blue (the black and blue inks are archival/acid-free), and my new favorite pencils are the Sakura SumoGrip in 0.7mm. (I also have a SumoGrip in 0.9mm, but I prefer the 0.7.)
    Last edited by haraya; 04-15-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Forum Member
    France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Denises View Post
    I've used the Bonjournal app to keep journals on many of my recent trips. Although it's an online tool, it is possible to download the journal as a PDF to print, if you want a physical copy. You can see my journals here:
    https://bonjourn.al/Denises?view=journals
    Thanks for the app suggestion and sharing your example journals. Looks interesting as I am more inclined to make occasional jounal on-line.

Santa Cruz, California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    Hi, I'm thinking it might be fun to keep a little travel journal/sketchbook on my next trip. I don't usually do this and I wonder if any of you do and whether you might like to share some things that work well for you and some things that don't work so well. thanks!
    It very much depends on whether or not you are a fountain pen user. For example, Moleskine notebooks do not like fountain pens, they just bleed through. In contrast, Rhodia notebooks (made in France), Clairefontaine notebooks (also made in France), and Maruman Mnemosyne notebooks (made in Japan) are fountain-pen friendly and have high quality paper. They come in all sorts of sizes and bindings.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my one month trip to Germany I took a Moleskine book with an elastic closure band that had lined pages on the right and blank pages on the left side. I can't remember the size, but it fit perfectly in my Sidekick. I didn't want to take too small a book because then it becomes hard to write in. I also took a Moleskine pen, which is flat and hooks to the cover of the Moleskine book, so I never had to hunt for my pen.

I'm terrible at keeping a journal or diary of my daily life. But when I'm on vacation, I'm very good at it because I know I will never remember all the stuff I saw and did. This was the first time I made an effort to sketch every day on the blank page. While my sister was busy taking 1000's of photos with her camera, which she's never printed, I was busy sketching and remembering a particular sight, which is now linked to my remembrances of the day.

I also tend to use a fresh new book for each trip.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 04-16-2019 at 06:20 AM.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for these ideas, and I've had a fun time playing with Bonjournal! Could be a great digital supplement to a scrapbook and I love that you can PDF your entries! I found this list of writing prompts for a journal -- sorry I didn't get the website it was from, stupid me:

Here are 25 ideas to include in your travel journal. These will get you started:
    1. What was your first impression of your destination?
    2. Did you forget to pack anything? What did you do?
    3. Describe your hotel lobby/room or Airbnb residence.
    4. What delighted you today?
    5. Write a conversation that you overheard.
    6. Describe an everyday activity you observed: Kids going to school, traffic, etc.
    7. What has been a total surprise?
    8. Draw a local landmark or scene.
    9. Have you tried the local brew or wine or cocktail?
    10. Did anything make you smile or laugh today?
    11. What are the teenagers like?
    12. How are the vendors at the market?
    13. Close your eyes and describe the smells and sounds.
    14. Describe how people dress for work…and play.
    15. What one amazing thing did you learn today?
    16. How do couples–courting or married–act?
    17. What do the men do during the day?
    18. What emotions have you felt during this trip?
    19. Sketch a moment you want to remember.
    20. Food: What was good, what was not, what will you make at home?
    21. Describe the scene around you right now.
    22. Where do people go in the evening?
    23. Tell what children do, with and without their parents.
    24. Have any of your perceptions or opinions changed?
    25. What will you miss when you return home

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for these ideas, and I've had a fun time playing with Bonjournal! Could be a great digital supplement to a scrapbook and I love that you can PDF your entries! I found this list of writing prompts for a journal -- sorry I didn't get the website it was from, stupid me:
    May not be ultimately the original source, but:
    https://travelsmartwoman.com/travel-journal/

Thanks for sharing!

These days I usually keep my travel notes in a Google Doc, so not exactly a journal in the traditional sense.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have fallen soooooo far down the well of watercolour palettes online, it's not even funny. Good thing I'm not buying anything right now except necessities (and essentials for our summer trip) or I'd be very, very poor. Don't feel bad for me: I've collected PLENTY of paint and paper and brushes over the years. I've never used them. A great thing about not buying things is that buying often (in my case) substitutes for other activities -- so it has actually been more fun to use what I have than to buy new. But it's still soooo tempting. I guess covetousness is really my big sin (but hey at least it's not one of the others like killing or stealing)

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm right there with you girl!

Are you familiar with Madame Blueberry, from Veggie Tales? Her video about being thankful for what you have is my favorite from when my kids were little...
    Travel journals? your best ideas :-)-mb2-jpg

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great thing about not buying things is that buying often (in my case) substitutes for other activities -- so it has actually been more fun to use what I have than to buy new.
    I don't want to derail this thread, but check out David Cain's blog - Raptitude ... he talks about having a 'Depth Year' where you use and do all the things that you already have, instead of chasing new things

https://www.raptitude.com/2017/12/go-deeper-not-wider/

and his thoughts afterwards

https://www.raptitude.com/2018/12/wh...-my-best-year/
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Colorado Springs
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love my Hobonichi A5 for home or car travel. (Donít travel with a fountain pen, generally.) But for international travel, I keep packing the Moleskine pocket size. I like the hardcover (sturdy), the elastic band to keep it tidy, the just-right line spacing, the back pocket to store tickets, ephemera, emergency $20 bill, etc. The size fits well in Side Kick. I can write across both pages if I prefer a wider writing space. I try to journal every night, and often jot notes or teeny sketches during the day if something catches my eye. In the back pages I jot notes on the way home about what things I packed worked and what didnít.

When I get home, I label the spine with a P-Touch label: year and locations. My trip journals are lined up neatly on a shelf, ready to access. I write essays after trips, sometimes years later, and I like having the detail captured in one place. I sometimes draft longer journal entries in Evernote on my phone (with portable keyboard) if I have extra time on a train or flight.

A bit off-topic: I love Eric Maiselís ďA Writerís Paris.Ē He has wonderful ideas for writing and journaling while traveling. The book is available in paper only ó wish it were digitized, so I could take it with me. He quotes, ďAlways carry your little pad.Ē
    Last edited by TavaPeak; 04-18-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Perthshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit of a geek for this type of thing and usually give things 4 - 6 months. I'm working on Bullet Journal at the minute and like it's flexibility. I'm using a homemade contraption at the minute of a 'Tactical Notebook Cover' iPad binder with a Staples Arc (Levenger Circa System) inside. I've included gratitude, goals and travel. We'll see how we get on....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast