Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera Wrap (sort of)

A family member shared a link with me over the Memorial Day weekend, and I wondered if anyone else on this forum had ever heard of this kind of camera carrying/housing technique.

It is called "miggo", and it is featured on "The Grommet" web-site.

Any comments on this?
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Toronto, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an interesting idea – I can't speak to the product, which I've never seen, but the idea seems solid.

Personally, I don't think cameras need as much padding as the typical camera bag provides. I'm not careless with mine, but typically keep them in neoprene pouches while I carry them in whatever other bag I'm using that day, and have yet to have any issues with them. I'd like to see this product in person, both to have a better idea of how bulky they are and how well they adapt to the camera, but I wouldn't worry about their protection level.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh, that's kind of interesting. I wonder how comfortable the strap is though; it's so wide it seems like it would be weird to have around your neck all the time.

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone had experience using Domke camera wraps or other Domke accessories to store cameras and/or camcorders in a backpack? What are they like?
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wraps are like a padded cloth, so if you for example dropped your backpack I don't think they would help much but if it's just to keep things from clanking around and hitting each other they work very well. I don't think they are convenient if you are constantly taking things out and putting them back in. They also don't provide any structure so you'll still have the problem of stuff falling in a pile at the bottom. I use them mostly if I need to wedge a spare lens into a tiny space in a packed bag or something like that.

I just noticed you said "store" --so not use walking around but just to keep them in a closet? That would work well. You can get them in different colors too for identification. I like the ones where there is a smooth side and a textured side.

Alberta, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I'm four years too late to this conversation, but I was searching for the Miggo wraps in case there was already a discussion on them and came across this one lonely thread. In case anyone else is curious...

I purchased a Miggo Grip n Wrap in March in order to provide my Sony A6000 with a little extra protection while in my Sidekick. I prefer the Grip n Wrap because I rarely loop the camera around my neck, so this is less bulky for me.

The fabric is really stiff and not as strechy as I imagined. I was warned on Amazon that the Mirrorless/CSC size doesn't fit very well (despite being shown on a Sony mirrorless camera!) but purchased it anyway. It BARELY fits on my A6000 with Sony FE 50mm lens attached. Carefully applied force is required to wrap/un-wrap the camera.

I like the pocket on the front to store the lens cover. I like being able to hook it on my wrist. I dislike where the top part of the wrap sits over my on/off switch, and I have to check every time I handle the camera to make sure I didn't move the wrap enough to accidentally turn the camera on. I love the metal attachment point that still allows the camera to mount on a tripod, though it does make an awkward lump in the back panel of my Sidekick.

All in all, I find it to be worth the money for my purpose. It allows me to have a functioning, relatively easy to use protection for my camera in a bag that doesn't come with any padding for electronics. It prevents my camera from taking damage from other items in my Sidekick. I hardly ever change lenses, so this system has been working for me quite well.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClicketySnap View Post
    I know I'm four years too late to this conversation, but I was searching for the Miggo wraps in case there was already a discussion on them and came across this one lonely thread. In case anyone else is curious...

I purchased a Miggo Grip n Wrap in March in order to provide my Sony A6000 with a little extra protection while in my Sidekick. I prefer the Grip n Wrap because I rarely loop the camera around my neck, so this is less bulky for me.

The fabric is really stiff and not as strechy as I imagined. I was warned on Amazon that the Mirrorless/CSC size doesn't fit very well (despite being shown on a Sony mirrorless camera!) but purchased it anyway. It BARELY fits on my A6000 with Sony FE 50mm lens attached. Carefully applied force is required to wrap/un-wrap the camera.

I like the pocket on the front to store the lens cover. I like being able to hook it on my wrist. I dislike where the top part of the wrap sits over my on/off switch, and I have to check every time I handle the camera to make sure I didn't move the wrap enough to accidentally turn the camera on. I love the metal attachment point that still allows the camera to mount on a tripod, though it does make an awkward lump in the back panel of my Sidekick.

All in all, I find it to be worth the money for my purpose. It allows me to have a functioning, relatively easy to use protection for my camera in a bag that doesn't come with any padding for electronics. It prevents my camera from taking damage from other items in my Sidekick. I hardly ever change lenses, so this system has been working for me quite well.
    Didn't realize this thread was some years old now until your post. I, too, was curious about the wraps and funnily enough I also own an a6000. Thanks for the feedback!

Alberta, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robburdtt View Post
    Didn't realize this thread was some years old now until your post. I, too, was curious about the wraps and funnily enough I also own an a6000. Thanks for the feedback!
    Yay! I love my Sony mirrorless and get super excited to see other people with them, and I love my Miggo! I stressed over reading reviews for them for a long time because they are mostly reviewed by "Camera gear professionals" who seem to find the aesthetics almost offensive.

If you have or plan to have lenses any larger than the FE 50mm F-1.8 that I am currently using, ignore the Mirrorless/CSC size of Miggo wraps completely and consider the Superzoom/Bridge size instead.

I'm also a weirdo with a blog, and have pictures and a better review here
    If you have any other photos you would like to see, just let me know!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Op-tech makes a pouch that seems more conservative in appearance.

optechusa.com/soft-pouch-digital-d-series.html

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Sony mirrorless buddy! I'm really glad I bought my a6000, and it was my first camera purchase. Just an amateur but I found it great for even a beginner like me. Just read your blog and we had the same reasons for going with the mirrorless. Friends who are DSLR owners are always amazed at how compact it is.

I'm not bothered by the design so it's good to know that it is an option. I'll probably read more before buying, but in case I have questions I'll get back to you!