Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 25 of 25
  1. #16
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Share
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For other folks looking for advice, cycling rain jackets are great for other sports and outdoor functions. Usually waterproof, not necessarily breathable, Velcro cuffs, pit zips, pocket zips, drawstring waist, and a billed hood. There is a long drop down tail that helps channel water away. Another excellent rain protection device is a high end poncho. The long coverage channels water away from the tops of your shoes or boots and the better models have sophisticated closure and adjustment systems. If you need to cover your backpack too, a poncho can be a great tool as well as turn into instant shelter.

  2. #17
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,413
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogiesan View Post
    For other folks looking for advice, cycling rain jackets are great for other sports and outdoor functions. Usually waterproof, not necessarily breathable, Velcro cuffs, pit zips, pocket zips, drawstring waist, and a billed hood. There is a long drop down tail that helps channel water away. Another excellent rain protection device is a high end poncho. The long coverage channels water away from the tops of your shoes or boots and the better models have sophisticated closure and adjustment systems. If you need to cover your backpack too, a poncho can be a great tool as well as turn into instant shelter.
    Thank you.
    I have tried a poncho in the past with mixed results but it was a fashion brand not a technical brand. What is an example of a good poncho that has the right features?

  3. #18
    Forum Member b1gsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Share
    Germany
    Posts
    532
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    Everything recommended so far is based on membrane waterproofing (gore tex, event etc).

    I find membrane waterproofs not very breathable and for our temperate wet climate in the UK I much prefer Paramo.

    YMMV Rain jacket recos?

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Iíve cone across Paramo a few years ago, but never bought one of their jackets because theyíre so pricey and Iíve also read quite a few mixed reviews. Are they worth the money? Do they hold up long enough to be worth the investment? Iím especially interested because of the lack of chemicals used and because of the fair trade production.

  4. #19
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Share
    UK
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    Iíve cone across Paramo a few years ago, but never bought one of their jackets because theyíre so pricey and Iíve also read quite a few mixed reviews. Are they worth the money? Do they hold up long enough to be worth the investment? Iím especially interested because of the lack of chemicals used and because of the fair trade production.
    The jackets seem to last forever, I have seen people wearing 20 year old kit quite happily. You can even buy reconditioned ones direct from paramo via their eBay shop. Would recommend this over buying new to save money. I have also bought second hand from eBay with great success.

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

  5. #20
    Forum Member b1gsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Share
    Germany
    Posts
    532
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    The jackets seem to last forever, I have seen people wearing 20 year old kit quite happily. You can even buy reconditioned ones direct from paramo via their eBay shop. Would recommend this over buying new to save money. I have also bought second hand from eBay with great success.

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Thanks - that’s good to know! How is the sizing? Looking at the Paramo size chart I would be a size S on top, but a size M in my bottom half. From my experience with other outdoor brands I would probably pick the M, but I’ve read Paramo runs big. Any advice?

  6. #21
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Share
    UK
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    Thanks - thatís good to know! How is the sizing? Looking at the Paramo size chart I would be a size S on top, but a size M in my bottom half. From my experience with other outdoor brands I would probably pick the M, but Iíve read Paramo runs big. Any advice?
    They do run pretty big in my experience, I'd be tempted to try a small as well if you have the opportunity.

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

  7. #22
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,413
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    Thanks - thatís good to know! How is the sizing? Looking at the Paramo size chart I would be a size S on top, but a size M in my bottom half. From my experience with other outdoor brands I would probably pick the M, but Iíve read Paramo runs big. Any advice?
    I tried on some Paramo jackets in my local outdoors shop and even though my hips are 40Ē, I fit into a small. They run really big!

  8. #23
    Forum Member b1gsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Share
    Germany
    Posts
    532
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cristina! Seems like size S is the way to go then. Smilie

  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Share
    London, He/Him, Colourway (Novo Amor), Squash
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, just a quick addition for anyone looking for a new rain jacket still.

    3 Layer construction is always ideal because it provides more comfort, especially when it wets through the outer fabric.

    Gore-Tex is always a good bet with good breathability and waterproofing. Probably not best for summer use with it getting a bit like a bin bag, but any rain jacket you have is going to make you feel like that if you're doing high exertion. We don't magically stop sweating in exercise because we have a gore-tex raincoat.

    The other good thing about gore-tex is it has an easy ranking system that goes as follows:
    Gore-tex Paclite (Plus): 2 Layer construction, but generally really packable. Described as more of an emergency shell that you throw in your backpack where there might be a slight chance of rain.
    Gore-tex Active: 3 Layer construction, great for more active days (no sh sherlock). More breathable than any other gore-tex, still not massively durable, but more-so than Paclite.
    Gore-tex: 3 Layer construction; just the bog standard, brilliant. Gets the job done.
    Gore-tex Pro: 3 Layer construction; more durable, less breathable.

    Gore-tex Pro will generally accompany more heavy-duty mountaineering jackets, higher denier face fabric means a heavier weight jacket too. On the inverse, Active and Paclite jackets will normally be lower denier face fabric for warmer climates and higher exertion activities like trail running/bike riding.

    Gore (the brand) is great for cycling jackets, lots of 3m reflective detailing, packable. Arc'teryx is great for everything and has a brilliant grading system.

    You've also got Gore-tex Shakedry, which is quite self-explanatory, some shells use it for mainly trail running and you just shake it to get all the water off.

    Any other questions just lmk

  10. #25
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,413
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Hey, just a quick addition for anyone looking for a new rain jacket still.

    3 Layer construction is always ideal because it provides more comfort, especially when it wets through the outer fabric.

    Gore-Tex is always a good bet with good breathability and waterproofing. Probably not best for summer use with it getting a bit like a bin bag, but any rain jacket you have is going to make you feel like that if you're doing high exertion. We don't magically stop sweating in exercise because we have a gore-tex raincoat.

    The other good thing about gore-tex is it has an easy ranking system that goes as follows:
    Gore-tex Paclite (Plus): 2 Layer construction, but generally really packable. Described as more of an emergency shell that you throw in your backpack where there might be a slight chance of rain.
    Gore-tex Active: 3 Layer construction, great for more active days (no sh sherlock). More breathable than any other gore-tex, still not massively durable, but more-so than Paclite.
    Gore-tex: 3 Layer construction; just the bog standard, brilliant. Gets the job done.
    Gore-tex Pro: 3 Layer construction; more durable, less breathable.

    Gore-tex Pro will generally accompany more heavy-duty mountaineering jackets, higher denier face fabric means a heavier weight jacket too. On the inverse, Active and Paclite jackets will normally be lower denier face fabric for warmer climates and higher exertion activities like trail running/bike riding.

    Gore (the brand) is great for cycling jackets, lots of 3m reflective detailing, packable. Arc'teryx is great for everything and has a brilliant grading system.

    You've also got Gore-tex Shakedry, which is quite self-explanatory, some shells use it for mainly trail running and you just shake it to get all the water off.

    Any other questions just lmk
    Hey @Fox, welcome to the forums! I noticed your profile says you used to work at an outdoors store. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts in future discussions!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •