Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For other folks looking for advice, cycling rain jackets are great for other sports and outdoor functions. Usually waterproof, not necessarily breathable, Velcro cuffs, pit zips, pocket zips, drawstring waist, and a billed hood. There is a long drop down tail that helps channel water away. Another excellent rain protection device is a high end poncho. The long coverage channels water away from the tops of your shoes or boots and the better models have sophisticated closure and adjustment systems. If you need to cover your backpack too, a poncho can be a great tool as well as turn into instant shelter.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogiesan View Post
    For other folks looking for advice, cycling rain jackets are great for other sports and outdoor functions. Usually waterproof, not necessarily breathable, Velcro cuffs, pit zips, pocket zips, drawstring waist, and a billed hood. There is a long drop down tail that helps channel water away. Another excellent rain protection device is a high end poncho. The long coverage channels water away from the tops of your shoes or boots and the better models have sophisticated closure and adjustment systems. If you need to cover your backpack too, a poncho can be a great tool as well as turn into instant shelter.
    Thank you.
    I have tried a poncho in the past with mixed results but it was a fashion brand not a technical brand. What is an example of a good poncho that has the right features?

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    Everything recommended so far is based on membrane waterproofing (gore tex, event etc).

I find membrane waterproofs not very breathable and for our temperate wet climate in the UK I much prefer Paramo.

YMMV Rain jacket recos?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Iíve cone across Paramo a few years ago, but never bought one of their jackets because theyíre so pricey and Iíve also read quite a few mixed reviews. Are they worth the money? Do they hold up long enough to be worth the investment? Iím especially interested because of the lack of chemicals used and because of the fair trade production.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    Iíve cone across Paramo a few years ago, but never bought one of their jackets because theyíre so pricey and Iíve also read quite a few mixed reviews. Are they worth the money? Do they hold up long enough to be worth the investment? Iím especially interested because of the lack of chemicals used and because of the fair trade production.
    The jackets seem to last forever, I have seen people wearing 20 year old kit quite happily. You can even buy reconditioned ones direct from paramo via their eBay shop. Would recommend this over buying new to save money. I have also bought second hand from eBay with great success.

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    The jackets seem to last forever, I have seen people wearing 20 year old kit quite happily. You can even buy reconditioned ones direct from paramo via their eBay shop. Would recommend this over buying new to save money. I have also bought second hand from eBay with great success.

Thanks - that’s good to know! How is the sizing? Looking at the Paramo size chart I would be a size S on top, but a size M in my bottom half. From my experience with other outdoor brands I would probably pick the M, but I’ve read Paramo runs big. Any advice?

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - thatís good to know! How is the sizing? Looking at the Paramo size chart I would be a size S on top, but a size M in my bottom half. From my experience with other outdoor brands I would probably pick the M, but Iíve read Paramo runs big. Any advice?
    They do run pretty big in my experience, I'd be tempted to try a small as well if you have the opportunity.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - thatís good to know! How is the sizing? Looking at the Paramo size chart I would be a size S on top, but a size M in my bottom half. From my experience with other outdoor brands I would probably pick the M, but Iíve read Paramo runs big. Any advice?
    I tried on some Paramo jackets in my local outdoors shop and even though my hips are 40Ē, I fit into a small. They run really big!

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cristina! Seems like size S is the way to go then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2