Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Welcome to the Forums @RosemaryOrchard!
    Thanks! I've been lurking with my medium cafť since January

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you post what you end up doing and how well it works! Thanks for the test pack pictures too!

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I suggest:
    I found these on Amazon for my 5 & 3 year old. I think they are perfect size. I really wanted packs with chest straps because I think it really helps, when lugging bags through busy places. It makes the load more comfortable & less likely to be slid off and set down at random. The packs were around $20 each and are rugged & well loved. I placed a Side Effect inside for size reference. The princess tag on the inside has my name and cell phone number in case we lose the bag, or, God forbid my daughter gets separated, she knows to give the card to a worker, or another Mom for help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @Cristina,

I think it's a great idea to introduce the idea of carrying your own pack from an early age, even if the pack contains a token few things (the books they may read on the train), their water bottle, or anything else! The Luminary 12 is a great size first bag! Or the Daylight Backpack since it is so light!

My son was 10 the first time he was responsible for carrying his own pack. It was a lightly packed Western Flyer, and I did end up carrying it part of the time. I was packed in a Brain Bag, and my wife was packed in an Aeronaut 45. Actually, I think I ended up carrying the Aeronaut 45 and Brain Bag a good portion of the time, and my wife carried the Western Flyer.

We have a trip to the UK and France coming up next month, and it will be interesting to see how we all pack. I'm definitely going to pack in a travel backpack -- the Hero's Journey or Brain Bag or something. My son and wife both want to pack in roll aboard suitcases, which of course can work if your travels take you from a car to the airport to another car to a hotel and back. We'll be having fun on beautiful cobblestone streets and traveling by train once we're there. I want to say "but it's their choice," knowing full well at the same time that I'll be helping with the challenges of handling a roll aboard...
    Last edited by maverick; 07-08-2019 at 04:36 PM.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @haraya and @G42, that is an excellent point about tracking a bag and carrying its weight being two totally different skills. I am hoping that the waist and sternum straps will help a bit with both!
    I also think that a Tile is a great plan, @RosemaryOrchard . I don't know anyone in the UK with a Tile, am I correct in thinking that the more people that have them, the more likely it is that an object will be found? I am definitely looking into this.

@Flowerchild81 Thanks for the link to those adorable packs. I'll make sure to have both the kids and the bags tagged with my number (my fave is SafetyTats temporary tattoos for the kids!)

@maverick I hope you have a splendid time over this side of the Atlantic. I love my HsJ for UK train travel! I leave the main bag in the luggage area or overhead and take the top bag to my seat. I'm not taking it this time because we will take so many commuter trains and city buses, I'm leaning towards the S25 instead. I totally agree with you about the cobbles, I hope that your wife and son are eventually persuaded to go wheel-free.

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    I would echo the suggestion of finding an inexpensive bag - maybe a drawstring pack - for them to use as their test bag. Then it's also smaller and lighter if you end up carrying everything at the end of the day.

As G42 said above, I found that for my kids, keeping track of a bag was one skill, and then being willing to carry a certain amount of weight was another. I started my kids out with a very small pack - the North Face Sprout, which was only 8L (age 3-4), then moving up to a REI Tarn 12 (age 7-9) - holding only a water bottle. Those were perfect daypacks for when we would go downtown for an all-day excursion. By age 6 my younger one would carry an S19, loaded only with his in-flight entertainment. I learned the hard way that he would not carry the S19 loaded with his clothes for the trip. Nowadays at age 11 he can carry a reasonable amount in his pack, but we usually require the kids to carry just one extra outfit in their carry-ons, plus whatever food or entertainment they want for the trip.

I think it also makes a difference if one is packing for a trip, or packing their school bag. At least at my kids' elementary school, they carried quite a bit more weight than I would expect them to shoulder on a trip - because they would carry their bags into the classroom and then leave them in their cubby most of the day. And if they forgot something, it usually showed up in Lost and Found the next day. Not an option on a multi-stop trip.

Best of luck finding out what works for your fam! And looking forward to hearing about your experience!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RosemaryOrchard View Post
    One thing you might consider: get some Tiles and pay for the subscription for the month for them to ring when they're left behind. Attach the Tile inside the backpack and make sure they're connected to your phone (and any other devices around). Having recently left my house keys behind in a hotel I'm now going to pay for this service forever for myself!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flowerchild81 View Post
    May I suggest:
    I found these on Amazon for my 5 & 3 year old. I think they are perfect size. I really wanted packs with chest straps because I think it really helps, when lugging bags through busy places. It makes the load more comfortable & less likely to be slid off and set down at random. The packs were around $20 each and are rugged & well loved. I placed a Side Effect inside for size reference. The princess tag on the inside has my name and cell phone number in case we lose the bag, or, God forbid my daughter gets separated, she knows to give the card to a worker, or another Mom for help.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Hi @Cristina,

I think it's a great idea to introduce the idea of carrying your own pack from an early age, even if the pack contains a token few things (the books they may read on the train), their water bottle, or anything else! The Luminary 12 is a great size first bag! Or the Daylight Backpack since it is so light!

My son was 10 the first time he was responsible for carrying his own pack. It was a lightly packed Western Flyer, and I did end up carrying it part of the time. I was packed in a Brain Bag, and my wife was packed in an Aeronaut 45. Actually, I think I ended up carrying the Aeronaut 45 and Brain Bag a good portion of the time, and my wife carried the Western Flyer.

We have a trip to the UK and France coming up next month, and it will be interesting to see how we all pack. I'm definitely going to pack in a travel backpack -- the Hero's Journey or Brain Bag or something. My son and wife both want to pack in roll aboard suitcases, which of course can work if your travels take you from a car to the airport to another car to a hotel and back. We'll be having fun on beautiful cobblestone streets and traveling by train once we're there. I want to say "but it's their choice," knowing full well at the same time that I'll be helping with the challenges of handling a roll aboard...

Natick, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 5 yo daughter carries a “junior” LLBean backpack filled with a few things like her headphones, a stuffed animal, and all her snacks. It is light and when she tires of carrying it is easy for one of the adults to carry it along with our own bags. My husband and I each carry one bag (he carries a Synapse 19 and I have a parental unit) and between the two of us we distribute her clothing. One thing that helps us keep the weight down on family trips is that we each wear our Keens that can go from water based activities to long walks and are (semi) presentable for eating at family oriented restaurants. We also all wear light and quick dry clothing (LLBean or REI type skorts, shorts, dresses, flat sunhats, and shirts). We also all share the same toothpaste and travel shampoo. We might not be the most fashionable but we are a happy and light traveling family!

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    @@maverick I hope you have a splendid time over this side of the Atlantic. I love my HsJ for UK train travel! I leave the main bag in the luggage area or overhead and take the top bag to my seat. I'm not taking it this time because we will take so many commuter trains and city buses, I'm leaning towards the S25 instead. I totally agree with you about the cobbles, I hope that your wife and son are eventually persuaded to go wheel-free.
    Me too, but I'm not holding my breath! My wife says that she doesn't like carrying a backpack, and my son doesn't want to carry a TOM BIHN bag because I carry TOM BIHN bags. It's funny -- he'll come ask me for a pouch or a Cache because it can go in the bag that he's carrying. But he doesn't want the outer bag he's carrying to say TOM BIHN.

I miss those good old days when he wanted to be involved in the videos because I was in the videos. Well, he still wants to be involved in the videos, but by interrupting and distracting. I'll have to leave in an interruption one of these times...
    -m

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thing you have resolved it. Good job!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wildasovich View Post
    Good thing you have resolved it. Good job!
    Thanks! I will find out how good my plan is when I do a test pack in the next week. I am excited for this because I like to demonstrate options for people who pack for themselves and their young kids.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Thank you for all the advice.

Test pack is promising.

Here is the L12 with a packing cube of clothes, water shoes, and headphones. There is still room for a 3DOC of treasures or a rain suit.

Here is the packing cube at the bottom. I think it's an Eagle Creek Small (uncompressed):

And here is a collection of small-packing clothes for my 6yo. I use kind of a "one of everything" approach to packing in the variable British weather. Here lies:
    -one pair of shorts
    -two pairs of long leggings
    -one sun/water suit
    -one short sleeve tee
    -one long sleeve tee
    -one dress (can be nightgown)
    -one pair travel PJs (base layers)
    -4ish pairs of socks and undies
    -sun hat

By late August we may be into needing actual jackets for Scotland instead of just rain jackets but if so those can be worn or carried by me.

I have a Hero Clip, I'll make sure to take it so I can clip the bags together if I need to, thanks for the suggestion!

Sorry if I missed this but are your kids both girls? If not, have you got a packing list and/or test pack for your son?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Christina, how'd you go? Hope you had a great time and your kids carried their own bags and never lost them

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old enough to carry their own bags?

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneygirl View Post
    @Christina, how'd you go? Hope you had a great time and your kids carried their own bags and never lost them
    Hey @Sydneygirl thanks for asking! For the actual trip they each carried their Luminaries and they did great! They did not complain about their bags at all. I made sure we didnít do any really long walks with the bags (partly for me as well because my bag of course was much heavier), and when we went out for the day, they didnít carry them.

The multiple pockets on the Luminaries worked very well. There were some travel toys I managed to pull out for them on the second to last day, when we were heading home! I find the last leg to be when I need to pull out the bag of tricks because on the way out, everyone is so excited just to be going. Oh, I also bought a couple of travel toys on the second to last day when we were in a Waterstones (this shop is great for small toys). We were about to have a longish lunch with childless friends and I REALLY wanted to keep the kids happy Old enough to carry their own bags?

(ETA: Cubelets are fantastic for corralling tiny toys and hiding them from view! And you can color code by child if thatís your thing)

I think overall, the same rules apply for kids and adults: donít overdo it, drink and eat enough, and take breaks. And make sure to do activities that are fun for everyone. I feel much more confident about doing another long trip this way. Many thanks for all the advice!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoops, I seem to have booked a week-long beach trip at the end of October. Donít know how that happened... Old enough to carry their own bags? ... guess we had a good time in Scotland.

We will have a washing machine and kitchen so my goal for this trip is to have a luggage bag smaller than my EDC bag (since my EDC for a beach trip is always so extensive).

Maybe this time the kids could carry their own swim stuff in their bags: shoes, towel, swim suit, arm bands (pool as well as beach).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Beach in Scotland”?!

Glad your trip was such a success - do both you’re kids have the 12L Luminary? Also which bag did you take?

Two more questions - did you take your stroller? And which kids shoes did you end up taking?

Sorry not trying to be obsessive just about to book tickets for UK next year so finding this super helpful!
    Last edited by Sydneygirl; 09-13-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydneygirl View Post
    ďBeach in ScotlandĒ?!

Glad your trip was such a success - do both youíre kids have the 12L Luminary? Also which bag did you take?

Two more questions - did you take your stroller? And which kids shoes did you end up taking?

Sorry not trying to be obsessive just about to book tickets for UK next year so finding this super helpful!
    Old enough to carry their own bags? Yeah if youíre from Australia donít visit a Scottish beach, youíll get a big surprise! (the surprise is that youíll be freezing, wet, and will have trouble standing because the wind is blowing you over.)

We will be going to an English beach next month which wonít be any better as itís the end of October. We will have the kids in full rain suits with winter gear for some cold weather sand play Old enough to carry their own bags?

Ok, so we did not have the stroller with us in Scotland. This was hard but doable with extremely careful packing. I always made sure both hands of mine were free to hold child hands though that sometimes meant my picnic bag or Shop Bag was hung on my wrist.

Both kids took a Luminary, minimally packed with headphones, coloring stuff, toys and a half empty water bottle (family of pessimistsOld enough to carry their own bags?). I didnít make them carry their water shoes because I did not pack shoes for them! They wore their wellies for the entire trip. They did not complain even when it got really hot for the last two days, but their wellies are really lightweight so that helped. Overall the wellies were good because they dried easily and could just be rinsed off after a beach trip.

My next travel purchase, in an ideal world, would be waterproof trainers for all of us. Working on it.

I wore my running shoes on travel days and packed a newly purchased pair of Teva Tirra water sandals. I love the Tirras and they are incredibly versatile.

I really wanted to take my Synik but the Tirras proved too much for it (I did not have the Tirras yet when I posted my Synik packing photos in my Synik 30 review.)

I took my Heroís Journey but did not pack it full. We didnít take as many buses as I thought (none with the luggage) and the commuter trains have much higher overhead luggage racks than I remembered, so at no time was I struggling for luggage space. It all went very smoothly!

Feel free to ask more questions, I know youíve got a trip to plan too. Old enough to carry their own bags?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast