Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old enough to carry their own bags?

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneygirl View Post
    ďBeach in ScotlandĒ?!

Glad your trip was such a success - do both youíre kids have the 12L Luminary? Also which bag did you take?

Two more questions - did you take your stroller? And which kids shoes did you end up taking?

Sorry not trying to be obsessive just about to book tickets for UK next year so finding this super helpful!
    Old enough to carry their own bags? Yeah if youíre from Australia donít visit a Scottish beach, youíll get a big surprise! (the surprise is that youíll be freezing, wet, and will have trouble standing because the wind is blowing you over.)

We will be going to an English beach next month which wonít be any better as itís the end of October. We will have the kids in full rain suits with winter gear for some cold weather sand play Old enough to carry their own bags?

Ok, so we did not have the stroller with us in Scotland. This was hard but doable with extremely careful packing. I always made sure both hands of mine were free to hold child hands though that sometimes meant my picnic bag or Shop Bag was hung on my wrist.

Both kids took a Luminary, minimally packed with headphones, coloring stuff, toys and a half empty water bottle (family of pessimistsOld enough to carry their own bags?). I didnít make them carry their water shoes because I did not pack shoes for them! They wore their wellies for the entire trip. They did not complain even when it got really hot for the last two days, but their wellies are really lightweight so that helped. Overall the wellies were good because they dried easily and could just be rinsed off after a beach trip.

My next travel purchase, in an ideal world, would be waterproof trainers for all of us. Working on it.

I wore my running shoes on travel days and packed a newly purchased pair of Teva Tirra water sandals. I love the Tirras and they are incredibly versatile.

I really wanted to take my Synik but the Tirras proved too much for it (I did not have the Tirras yet when I posted my Synik packing photos in my Synik 30 review.)

I took my Heroís Journey but did not pack it full. We didnít take as many buses as I thought (none with the luggage) and the commuter trains have much higher (ETA: I mean more spacious as the ceiling isnít as close to the rack) overhead luggage racks than I remembered, so at no time was I struggling for luggage space. It all went very smoothly!

Feel free to ask more questions, I know youíve got a trip to plan too. Old enough to carry their own bags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cristina; 09-15-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for all the advice, really appreciate it. I’m looking for waterproof trainers right now! They seem like the prefect solution. My boys both wear their trainers almost all the time here so they’re comfortable in them.

Did you get the Synik instead of the A30? Curious to hear why it so.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydneygirl View Post
    Thanks so much for all the advice, really appreciate it. Iím looking for waterproof trainers right now! They seem like the prefect solution. My boys both wear their trainers almost all the time here so theyíre comfortable in them.

Did you get the Synik instead of the A30? Curious to hear why it so.
    If I can find waterproof running trainers then I can take those as my only shoe on a lot of trips but I am still considering waterproof casual ones (Vessi) because I really like how they look. I should ask others in the Travel Fashion Girl FB group about waterproof shoes, because itís a really active group.

Kidsí waterproof trainers over here tend to be hiking shoes and I am not sure about them but Iíll keep looking! Always on the hunt for sensible shoes. Old enough to carry their own bags?

I didnít choose the Synik over the A30 exactly but I do see them as having different uses. I think the Synik is a great bag if you like to keep a lot of easy-access stuff close at hand, or if you would also want to use the bag at your destination. Basically, if youíre going to be in and out of the bag all the time because you have EDC items in it, the layout works well. I would personally pack my clothes and toiletries in the main compartment, and my chargers and EDC stuff in the front pockets.

I think the A30 is better as a travel-only bag, with maybe a day pack or a purse or tote alongside. I like the duffel layout for when Iím not in the bag all the time. Thatís just my packing style, others may feel differently.

Both bags are a little too small for a trip where I carry all the stuff for me and the kids, unless it is a very simple trip with consistent weather and without any beach or swimming stuff. I know that in a few short years they will be carrying their own stuff so my bag will have only my things in it, and my day pack wonít have as much in it either. Right now though it is really challenging to find the balance between being prepared and not being a packhorse!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. I think it's best for the kids to have their own bags for their own stuff from a young age. It not only helps you out, but it also teaches them responsibility. Sure, you have to train them to keep their bags in the beginning, but they get used to that and start checking on their own. We haven't lost a bag yet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3