Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help with fabric paint

I bought a pair of black ECCO trail shoes that I love... except for the red accents. There's red stitching around the heel and tongue, and the lace loops, which are made of something kind of like paracord, are also red.

I got a black fabric paint marker and colored it all black. However, I know that fabric paint is supposed to be heat set with an iron. Obviously, I can't really iron shoes. I thought maybe a hair dryer, but the consensus I've seen in my googling is that it wouldn't be hot enough.

I know there are a TON of crafty people on this board who know more about fabric arts than I ever will, and I'm hoping one of you may have a solution for me.

TIA!
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never used fabric paint that needed to be heat set, so I didn't know that was a thing! When I went to read more about it I found this web page that suggests a few different options: https://crafts.lovetoknow.com/wiki/H...g_Fabric_Paint Good luck!
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the shoes, as is, and if the fabric marker fades, use a sharpie, or other kind of permanent marker that doesn't need to be heat set.

There are also dye for shoes that are very durable, don't need heat setting, but a day of two of air drying. They are the ones that can be found in the supermarket/drugstore shoe aisle.

I once dyed a pair of leather ballet slippers (they only come in pink, peach, white or black) to match my outfit.
    The dye was applied on dry, new slippers and the fabric cord that formed the bow was dyed too.
    I found out, from the work of a leather craftsman, that wetting the leather gives a deeper and more uniform look to the dyed leather and keeps it supple, after the dry dye, my ballet slippers had stiffened.
    Last edited by backpack; 07-12-2019 at 11:40 PM.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Do not try the oven. I used a shoe shine once that required heat setting and was told to just put them on the rack in the oven on a very low temperature. The shine came out fabulous! It was glorious!

I was keeping a close eye on the boots, but it didn't help. The sole of the boot melted into the oven rack and could not be separated from the oven rack. It only took a week to get the smell out of the house. We can laugh about it because it was not a new pair of boots.

Good luck! elisa

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Do not try the oven.
    Yeah, the oven was on my list of “options pretty much guaranteed to work out poorly” ��

I think I’m going to leave them for now to see how colorfast it’ll be without heat setting. It might turn out to be tougher than I think.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    I know there are a TON of crafty people on this board who know more about fabric arts than I ever will, and I'm hoping one of you may have a solution for me.
    If you used fabric paint it might last, but I wouldn't put your shoes in any heating element. You're just asking for it to get warped.

I've actually had a lot of luck using Angelus brand shoe paint; I actually use it for the rubber portion, but it will work on the fabric as well. Just do a YouTube search for "painting shoes with Angelus paint." People who are into customizing kicks typically use Angelus.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Just do a YouTube search for "painting shoes with Angelus paint."
    I feel myself getting sucked into the world of sneaker customization already Big Grin