Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Travel games?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Matthew!! Maybe I need a set for our next road trip!

around 53į
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are vacationing at the moment and yesterday I saw a game, Clue Suspect, for sale at a local shop and decided to pick it up. Nice compact game that is essentially Clue without the dice and loose pieces.

Itís a quick game, 10 minutes or so, but itís been a lot of fun so far. Great grab for $15.

Using Tapatalk

Bay Area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewR View Post
    If you haven't read it already, I wrote a blog post about this very topic! The game I pretty much always travel with a copy of is Love Letter. It's such a great short icebreaker game. The comments on that blog post are good too: Hive was recommended, as was just taking a cube of regular 6-sided dice and a pack of 52 cards maybe along with a pocket rulebook for card and dice games.
    I hadnít seen this blog post before. Great stuff, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Travel rummikub and phase 10, always the classic uno is great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like Phase 10, good fun to play, not too complicated, and while the deck of cards isn't the smallest it seems worth the tradeoff to me

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe a card game will do, like UNO. Just suggesting.

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A deck of cards. You can play so many different games with simple cards. Zombie Dice is fun too.

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the big outdoor companies used to make a travel version of backgammon, and my partner and I carried it for years. Not a game to play when moving, but great when we stopped for the night. When walking or hitchhiking we used to play a word game which needed no equipment at all. We called it “geography”. The first person says a word which is a place or geographic feature. (Exemple: “Rhine”). The next person say the name of another geographical feature which begins with the last letter of the first word (example: “England”), and so on. No repeats allowed. You can play in most languages and with varying numbers of people. Educational, and nothing to get lost.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bbcamp's description of their "geography" game reminded me of one called "Bagel Wharf" that I learned from friends. It's complicated to describe but easy to play. It works best with 4 people, but other even numbers (greater than 2) would probably work too.

To play:
    1. Divide into teams of 2.
    2. To start the game off, each player in the first team will think of a word at random, then when both players are ready they'll each say their word at the same time. For example, "bagel" and "wharf."
    3. Then each player in the second team will think of a word that relates to both those words' concepts, then when both players are ready they'll each say their word at the same time. For example, "seagull" (seagulls on a wharf eating bagels) and "litter" (bagel wrappers can turn into litter, litter blowing around on wharf) (that might be a bit of a stretch, I'm tired and not thinking of the best examples).
    4. Then each player on the first team thinks of a word that relates to both those concepts, and so on.
    5. The game keeps passing back and forth between the teams like that until both players on one team come up with the same word at the same time. So if the second team had both said "seagull" instead of one saying "seagull" and the other saying "litter" the game would have been over.

I was told that the game is named "Bagel Wharf" because bagel and wharf were the first pair of words the players came up with when the game was invented. I'm not sure who invented it; I learned it on a car trip with some people from my morris dance group in Minnesota.

around 53į
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bbcampís geography game is a game my dad and his coworkers used to play when working in the mines in the late 60s. I remember playing that on road trips when I was a kid. Thanks for the memories Travel games?

Using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any of the Tiny Epic games are small enough to pack. I prefer Five Crowns over Phase 10. Fluxx is good. Check the BGG forums for other suggestions.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post

I was told that the game is named "Bagel Wharf" because bagel and wharf were the first pair of words the players came up with when the game was invented.

I kept reading "Bagel Wharf" as "Bagel Barf."

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Wow! Those Hanafuda cards are beautiful. So the game set doesn't include the rules? The paperback is the rulebook?

And how big is the set? The Amazon description says "Item weight: 44.1 pounds" which doesn't sound quite right.
    Oh, good grief. A pack of Hanafuda cards for KoiKoi weigh a fraction of an ounce. I printed off the rules off several online websites, just a page or two that I keep with the cards.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I kept reading "Bagel Wharf" as "Bagel Barf."
    Eww! That doesn't sound like nearly as nice a game.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was little we used to play Tennis Elbow Foot. Each person would say a word, and the next person had to quickly say another word related to it, with no repeated words. Take too long and you're out. Repeat a previously used word and you're out. So the game would go something like:

Tennis
    Elbow
    Foot
    Inch
    Worm
    Bug
    Computer

etc. etc.

Quick and easy to learn for kids. Requires no equipment or game pieces. Can be played until only one person is left or you get where you're going.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2