Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Travel games?

Bay Area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel games?

Hey Folks,

Iím packing for an upcoming trip to Portugal and thinking about adding a travel size game to my bag for downtime use on the trip. I have Monopoly Deal, which is quite small. I love games with dice, but Roll for It just has too many dice to bring along.

Do you all have any favorite small or travel size games that you bring when you travel with others?

-Steph

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We usually take Left Center Right. It’s pretty simple to play and with a handful of bingo chips or pennies can be expanded to allow for more players.

Bay Area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Left Center Right looks like a lot of fun, and the tiny tube would be so easy to pack. Thanks!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cosmic Wimpout could also be a fun dice game to bring along.

If/when I have room I will stick in a deck of Uno cards, or a travel Cribbage set that can hold a deck of cards.

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cribbage board, deck of cards. Travel version of Othello. If I’m super lucky, I find someone who plays go (baduk or weiqi) and we use a phone or iPad.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spot It! (the pool version, so that if you spill water/drinks on it, the cards are still fine). Great for playing with multiple ages or with groups where people don't all speak the same language. (You might be able to get it for less on a different site, or at a toy store.)

Anomia is also fun. You can bring just one of the decks for a more compact travel set - my daughter likes to mix up the cards, so on our last trip we had a half-red, half-blue deck.

For a different kind of game - we usually bring a water ball (Waboba - we just have the pool kind, ours is red and black, though it seems they now have different colors that are easier to see at the beach or in a lake). The kids will play catch when we have a layover and just need to stretch a bit. The ball is squishy and not as bouncy as a hard ball would be, so it's better in spaces where it might bounce into someone or something, but still has a nice feel to it so you can throw with good form. And, of course, it's fun in a pool!
    Last edited by haraya; 07-14-2019 at 11:33 AM.

Bay Area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! I’m learning about quite a few great options that I hadn’t heard of before!

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Push it PUSH IT-Home lives in my bag and goes everywhere with me.

And you canít beat a pack of cards for pure limitless gaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

around 53į
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always travel with waterproof playing cards, waterproof UNO, and a deck of Italian cards. Tons of fun.

I am going to look at some of these other suggestions, thanks for them Travel games?

Using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Virginia, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Farkle—BTW a frisbee makes a great dice rolling tray...
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Dad loves Rummikub, but the travel version is terrible. There's a knock off version called Original Digital Game, which is a great travel version, and the racks reassemble into a box that holds the tiles. BUT, you have to already know how to play Rummikub, because the instructions are completely in Chinese. They are also an exact copy of the Rummikub instructions. Unfortunately, I just looked on Amazon and can't find it.

I also recently learnt how to play KoiKoi after seeing it in the anime movie Summer Wars. It's Nintendo's original game from 1859. You have to search the internet for rules, because the tiny rule book that comes with the game is in Japanese. On Amazon, search on Hanafuda cards, and get the Napoleon "President" version which come in a resealable box. The cards are tiny, so very travel friendly.

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Japa...gateway&sr=8-7
    Last edited by BWeaves; 07-15-2019 at 11:08 AM.

TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a set of the Tengu Hanafuda cards personally along with a print-out of the rules though I admit I usually leave them at home and it's more of little bit of art for me.

If you haven't read it already, I wrote a blog post about this very topic! The game I pretty much always travel with a copy of is Love Letter. It's such a great short icebreaker game. The comments on that blog post are good too: Hive was recommended, as was just taking a cube of regular 6-sided dice and a pack of 52 cards maybe along with a pocket rulebook for card and dice games.

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyEaglesFly View Post
    Left Center Right looks like a lot of fun, and the tiny tube would be so easy to pack. Thanks!
    When I shopped (locally) for a set for my son, I could only find the game in a small tin. It was much noisier with all the bits rattling around! However, with my Viridian SMGWOP, it's super easy to Bihnify!
    Travel games?-lcr-jpg

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Those Hanafuda cards are beautiful. So the game set doesn't include the rules? The paperback is the rulebook?

And how big is the set? The Amazon description says "Item weight: 44.1 pounds" which doesn't sound quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewR View Post
    I have a set of the Tengu Hanafuda cards personally along with a print-out of the rules though I admit I usually leave them at home and it's more of little bit of art for me.

If you haven't read it already, I wrote a blog post about this very topic! The game I pretty much always travel with a copy of is Love Letter. It's such a great short icebreaker game. The comments on that blog post are good too: Hive was recommended, as was just taking a cube of regular 6-sided dice and a pack of 52 cards maybe along with a pocket rulebook for card and dice games.

TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, so I should say I printed out the Koi-Koi rules -- like BWeaves' set above it's made by Nintendo of Japan (their original business before video games was hanafuda playing cards) and it has a small manual with rules on it but they are in Japanese. The Koi-Koi rules I printed out are actually from a ruleset published for a flash version of Koi-Koi here: https://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/hanafuda/rule_e.html -- the book you posted looks like it's a compilation of multiple Hanafuda games like Koi-Koi, Hatchi-Hatchi, and probably some variations. I honestly grabbed a set because I learn better when I have things in my hands and I wanted to get a couple of achievements in the Yakuza video games that I had to know the rules of the game for (haha!).

It's quite small and light -- it's taller than 52-card playing cards but the cards themselves are a bit smaller but a little thicker -- 44.1 lb is way off and I'd say that it's most likely the weight in grams.

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Wow! Those Hanafuda cards are beautiful. So the game set doesn't include the rules? The paperback is the rulebook?

And how big is the set? The Amazon description says "Item weight: 44.1 pounds" which doesn't sound quite right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast