Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waterproof socks...?

...anyone have any experience with these? Fast drying, warm weather, cold weather, breathability, etc....trying to get around lugging waterproof shoes 'just in case" it rains.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I've never even heard of waterproof socks.

If it's warm weather, I wear sandals and just get wet. If it's colder, I wear merino wool socks with my shoes. Merino breathes well and has good wet warmth. Most shoes I have can dry out overnight pretty well, especially if I stuff them with towels.
    And yes, I will wear my merino socks with sandals and look like a dork, if it's in between weather.

My low hiking shoes happen to be waterproof as well, so I'd bring those + merino socks if I knew it would be wet a lot.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I'd be a fan of wearing waterproof socks. I'd probably end up with a bad case of foot fungus.

I * have * heard of 'overboots' (the proper term escapes me at the moment) - basically a thin waterproof bootie that goes over regular shoes. Probably more like an emergency measure, because I don't imagine they would be very durable.

You could look into gaiters - check at REI or similar stores - basically water-repellent material that straps over the top of your shoe and your lower pant leg to keep rain out. As long as you don't have to wade through deep waters those would, I think, be enough to get you through most rain.

What shoes would you be planning to bring with you? I should think there are some decent-looking shoes out there which are waterproof but still dressy enough to wear to work, if that's what this is for. Or if you're just traveling for leisure then I'd agree with G42, keep an eye out for low waterproof hiking shoes. (I love merino socks too for wet situations!!) I just got a pair of Vasque hikers for my son.

Here's a low-cut waterproof hiking shoe. (Vasque Breeze LT)

Here's a waterproof dress shoe (I have no personal experience with this brand/shoe, but it looks cool!):

Johnson & Murphy XC4 Prentiss Plain Toe - navy waterproof nubuck

Tall waterproof dress boot (Cole Haan Wakefield)

Whole bunch of waterproof shoes

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Sox from Showers Pass. Great when wearing cycling sandals. When I visited Scotland early this spring, they were much lighter than carrying waterproof boots. However, even tho i brought them and I was out and about in two rain events, I just didn’t use the waterproof sox on that trip.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Breathability will be low, regardless of the brand. For hiking and other outdoor activities where low weight and performance are an issue, they might be worth it. I would take quick drting shoes and more socks. Waterproof shoes make your feet more blister prone (the socks will too) and the shoes take forever to dry once wet inside.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waterproof socks are horrible, so sweaty and nasty, I use regular socks and choose shoes/boots with goretex or similar, works for me and it rains all the time here! Also a big fan of wearing sandals and not minding getting a bit wet then drying off in summer.
    I had never heard of waterproof shoes being more blister prone, this has not been my experience at all - for me blisters are about one thing, shoe fit.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    What shoes would you be planning to bring with you? I should think there are some decent-looking shoes out there which are waterproof but still dressy enough to wear to work
    For context, trip is ~16 days in November, with a week of a group trip in the Mideast (relatively warm and dry), followed by a week of self travel in Scandinavia (cold and possibly very wet), and bookended by a few days in London on each end. Mostly leisure, but there are a few events on the group trip that warrant some casual dressiness. My self travel will be mostly urban sightseeing with lots of walking. Right now plan is to wear some mesh casual sneakers (Cole Haan Grand Os), with a pair of New Balance Sockfit trainers in my bag.

I do have a pair of waterproof chukkas that are light and comfy for walking, but they get clammy on long flights... I'd prefer to avoid putting up with that during the entire trip should they be unwarranted. I'm just hoping that waterproof socks might suffice if things get nasty for a day or two. I just want to be able to continue a fast pace of urban sightseeing in rain without the discomfort of wet feet all day.
    Last edited by imperator; 07-19-2019 at 06:14 AM.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogiesan View Post
    I like the Sox from Showers Pass.
    That was one of the brands I am looking at, thanks for the recc. Fortunately, I have some time and a few domestic trips to try them out before I go.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear smart wool socks too, they dry fairly quickly. Ill pair them with keen hiking sandals or trail running shoes, they both also dry relatively quickly. Ive never tried waterproof socks as my feet sweat and Id hate for the sweat to get trapped in the sock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually do smartwool while travelling. They'll dry fast, but in the meantime you're stuck walking in soggy.

We use breathable waterproofing on buildings all the time, can't see why it wouldn't work on socks! Not sure I'm ready to try the Tyvek shoes, though...