Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is your favorite summer travel clothing?

I have a lot of summer travel coming up (HAWAII! But 2 planes to get there, and THREE coming back, including a red-eye, ugh). I want to maximize comfort and minimize packing (of course), as well as minimizing the feeling of sweaty grossness and discomfort by the end of each leg of the journey. But sometimes planes are cold (like the middle of a long flight), and sometimes hot as Hades.

Suggestions???

(Edit: I'd be happy to hear from anyone of any gender who has suggestions... I can't seem to edit the title of the thread, though.)
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Layers, it's all about layers.

Merino breathes well, but even lightweight is too hot for me in Hawaii. A merino hoodie or cardigan or similar that packs small would be a good option for the plane though. I usually repurpose a long sleeve UV blocking button down over a t-shirt instead for the plane, but I usually run very warm.
    (BTW, I love redeyes... you have to prep for it, but it helps you adjust to the next timezone faster if done correctly)

I mostly wear synthetic performance 'dry fit' type clothes for those types of trips. Usually I shop at REI for their brand and similar ones. There are a lot more choices than there used to be. I have some good black REI synth pants that roll up and button to make capri length that help protect me from the sun, are lightweight and washable anywhere...
    Unless you're devastated without them, I highly suggest no jeans - heavy and they're not great in high heat/humidity... if you absolutely want them, wear them on the plane and maybe out to dinner at night, but not during touristy wandering through the day.

FWIW, I went to Maui for a week with an underpacked A30... I brought a zip top shop bag as well, for under the seat, mostly because I travel with a lumbar pillow to protect my back, and at that point I just put my snacks, water, and kindle in there too.

oh, and generally, the lightweight synthetics wash well in the sink and dry quickly, if you don't have access to regular laundry

HTH
    Last edited by G42; 07-26-2019 at 01:46 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Izzy,
    Majority of my life/travel is in tropical weather and I can vouch for merino dresses. Easy to wash and wear....if I wear a slightly damp dress in the morning it's dry in no time. Merino is also anti odour

No colour matching to worry about tops with bottoms. And for plane/airport take a light jacket or cardigan. Also, leggings can add a warm layer for sleeping on a red eye. In a dress it's easy to slip on a pair of leggings.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    (Edit: I'd be happy to hear from anyone of any gender who has suggestions... I can't seem to edit the title of the thread, though.)
    What would you like the thread title to be? We can edit it for you!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    What would you like the thread title to be? We can edit it for you!
    Oh, wow, thanks! I guess just edit out the "LADIES," please.
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Hawaii and also run hot. I only wear jeans during the “winter,” preferably at night or to spots with AC. It’s just too hot to wear any other day. My current favorite however is Duer in the live lite fabric. It’s predominantly natural fabric and is cool enough to use here. Merino is great but I’ve realized that blended merino is best for here (100% merino is too hot). My favorite so far is a wool and prince tee. I think it’s 78% merino 22% nylon.

Most airline flights keep the cabin cool as the cooler it is the less likely one is to get motion sickness. That being said, a thin pair of pants, a lightweight tee, and a hoody should have all the bases covered on the plane.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, yes, I have opinions about in-flight clothes. I have a few outfits I wear for flying, and as other have said: layers!

For a flight to Hawaii I'd wear my super soft, stretchy bamboo Capri leggings, bamboo sleep bra, close-fit Merino tank, modal tunic, a cardigan (probably Merino because it's so packable if I don't expect I'll actually wear the cardigan much of my destination, but possibly knit linen I feel like I would need it for chilly evenings?), and a big piece of fabric I can wear as a scarf or wrap or sarong. Several options for layering up or down.

Also Merino blend compression socks. I enthusiastically recommend compression socks, especially if you're going to be going up and down to altitude multiple times in a day.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new favorite pants for travel on planes, mainly for comfort sake, but they also pack small, are these:

https://www.rei.com/product/119945/v...r-pants-womens These are the SOFTEST, thin, somewhat fitted exercise type pants I have worn, and I have them in black. If you don't mind traveling casually, they are beyond cozy and comfortable. They might be a little warm for Hawaii, even though they are lightweight.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/8673...=622-GN1&csp=f These are great lightweight summer pants, and I believe they would dry quickly. And they come in different lengths, yay!

Both of these models have forgiving waists, which I appreciate when sitting for hours on end too!
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 07-27-2019 at 07:35 AM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    Also Merino blend compression socks. I enthusiastically recommend compression socks, especially if you're going to be going up and down to altitude multiple times in a day.
    I thought they were primarily for people with circulation problems? Can you tell me more about them?
    Last edited by aedifica; 07-27-2019 at 06:36 PM. Reason: close quote tag

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is your favorite summer travel clothing?

I thought they were primarily for people with circulation problems? Can you tell me more about them?
    OMG... I discovered the joy of compression socks on a work trip. I was like you, and thought that they were for people with specific diagnosed circulation issues. But I am here to tell you: they are amazing. I am just into my 40s and I have long legs. For the past 5 years or more I’ve noted that my legs have been getting progressively more sore after long flights as time goes by. Compression socks basically make my legs feel 15 years younger when I get off the plane.

WRT the original question, my current go to pants for hot weather are my Lolë Gateway pants, for both home and traveling. They’re lightweight, have pockets, and don’t look like “outdoor” pants.

For tops, I have a few linen t-shirts from Uniqlo and Amazon that are great. Breathable, dry relatively fast, and not too expensive. I can’t remember the brand from Amazon at the moment, but it’s one of their “house” brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kathryn; 07-27-2019 at 06:55 PM.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    OMG... I discovered the joy of compression socks on a work trip. I was like you, and thought that they were for people with specific diagnosed circulation issues. But I am here to tell you: they are amazing. I am just into my 40s and I have long legs. For the past 5 years or more I’ve noted that my legs have been getting progressively more sore after long flights as time goes by. Compression socks basically make my legs feel 15 years younger when I get off the plane.

No kidding? Wow.

That sounds like a good idea, but I've always hated tight clothes, especially socks!. How do you know when they're too tight? And where do you get them? Amazon?

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also like compression socks! There are non-prescription ones for people without circulation problems. For me they're very nice when I'm going to be on my feet all day, they seem to help reduce foot and leg soreness. They may also help reduce the risk of blood clots in the legs on long flights. There seems to be a lot of debate over whether they actually help or not and it may vary from person to person (for example, here's an article about whether compression socks help runners). But as I said, I like them.

I like the ones from Sockwell; they have a ton of patterns and two compression strengths. Both compression strengths fit me well despite my big calves (I have muscles from years of dancing, muscles from years of biking, plus a layer of fat--that adds up to big calves!). I ordered several pairs two years ago and the elastic in one pair is just starting to go (so that pair slides down when I wear them) but the other pairs are still going strong. I machine wash them in a delicates bag and hang them dry.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No kidding? Wow.

That sounds like a good idea, but I've always hated tight clothes, especially socks!. How do you know when they're too tight? And where do you get them? Amazon?
    I got mine from Zappos, they are the Sockwell brand. I’m trying to think how to describe the feeling, so you’ll know how tight they should be... maybe think of shape wear for your legs. Not the double-Spanx Oscar red carpet level shape wear, just the ordinary smoothing cami kind.

"I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No kidding? Wow.

Yeah, you can get them on Amazon--here's a link to one, but there are several others. (I mentioned that Sockwell has a bunch of patterns; for the most part each pattern has its own Amazon page.) Sock Dreams in Portland also carries them, I'm sure there are other places too. (When the price is about the same at Sock Dreams as on Amazon, I like ordering from Sock Dreams to support a smaller business.)

If they hurt, they're too tight. Oh, and I recommend taking them off before bed--the compression that feels so nice in the short term can get uncomfortable after several hours, and if you're asleep you won't notice until it moves from discomfort to pain.

On the other hand, if you hate tight socks they might not be for you! It could be worth trying one pair to see if you like them, though.

Edited to add: this Amazon review describes the easiest way I know of to pull on the tighter version of Sockwell compression socks. I can pull the looser version on like normal knee socks, and really I can pull the tighter version on that way too, but it's easier when I do it the way described in the review.
    Last edited by aedifica; 07-27-2019 at 07:13 PM.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soooo back to summer clothes; I've been liking my Tilley Mashup hat. The fabric is more "rustic", and I think more stylish than the other Tilley offerings. The brim can be shaped when wet, I have mine styled more like a Panama/ Slouch hat. It also crushable, I reshape it on the road by dampening it and stuffing a towel inside it if it looks too sloppy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast