Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors, pics always welcome)?

Always a side effect with my essential every day carry items. Today's colour is coyote 1050d ballistic which I think is my favourite of all my side effects. Inside is an array of pouches including clear organiser wallet (navy), mini organiser pouch (sitka), mini ghost whale (burnt orange) tethered with assorted key straps.
    I recently *had to* buy another mini ghost whale in nebulous gray because the burnt orange one hurt my eyes when paired with my original/UV side effect (!)
    In love with my nebulous gray pop tote for all my shopping & cinema outings.
    For work days in the field I use my trusty Macpac pitch or for the really mucky sites, my ancient Karrimor jura 25.
    Air travel: has to be my aubergine/wasabi Western Flyer, every time, with pop tote as personal item. Great combination and if I don't need to use the pop tote I can just pack it flat inside the WF. Brilliant.
    Car travel: some sort of duffel bag. Just picked up a black road buddy 36 so that needs a test run What Are You Carrying? Ocean Breeze Edition (08/2019)

2. What are you reading?

I spend way too much time on Wikipedia reading about obscure animals which sound fake but are actually real and living off in some far away place (e.g. the lesser stick nest rat; the pink fairy armadillo; the hero shrew etc)

3. What are you playing or watching (movies, theatre, video games, etc.)?

Often at the cinema, this week at F&F: Hobbs & Shaw, which is every bit as silly as you'd expect, and next week the new Quentin Tarantino. The guy seems like a total creep, but he is very talented, so I'm not sure how I feel about that right now.

4. What are you listening to?

Lizzo: Tempo is going round in my head (not suitable for work)

5. What are you cooking/baking/drinking?

I just used up the last of the awesome gluten free linguine I brought back from Ireland making linguine Alfredo with a lot of black pepper What Are You Carrying? Ocean Breeze Edition (08/2019)
    Drinking home made damson vodka mixed with lemonade

6. What are you making/creating/doing?

Experimenting with a couple of apps on my tablet which will enable me to work paperless. Maybe. If I am brave enough!

7. Where have you gone lately? -or- What travel destinations are on the horizon for you?

Recently returned from six weeks working in Galway, Ireland. Off to Central Scotland next week for work. Maybe Yorkshire after that if the client says yes. Looking forward to a conference in Nottingham next month. We also have a week in a cottage in Scotland booked for an autumn holiday. Plenty of opportunities to use TB bags!

Bonus #1. What is your favorite UNESCO World Heritage Site?

Rome

Bonus #2. What site do you think UNESCO should add to the World Heritage List, but isn't currently?

I'll have to think about that one, but I think the importance of the many bronze and iron age settlements or remains of settlements across the UK should be appreciated more. Our landscape is littered with history.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

NYC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black halcyon MB with alphaviolet TC inside along with several super mini and mini GWOPs of a variety of colors plus a grass Nik's wallet #5

2. What are you reading? and 4. What are you listening to?
    The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino, translated by Ana Goldstein, narrated by Jefferson Mays. This was an Audible Daily Deal a while back. I get through a book every couple of days so I purchase a Daily Deal if it looks even remotely interesting to me.

Gotta pass on this one.

I figured out how to make the Sweetgreen Chicken Pesto Parm warm bowl. Instant pot the quinoa and the chicken, separately. Costco pesto mixed with white wine vinegar for the vinaigrette.

I've been making bracelets with thin paracord and satin nylon trim cord before I go to bed each night. Doing so makes me forget about work and I sleep better because of this forgetfulness.

7. Where have you gone lately? -or- What travel destinations are on the horizon for you?
    I've been a tourist in NYC by going to a couple of museums and parks each Wednesday this summer. I love to check in on the Met when I am nearby to see the fresh flowers in the great hall and I usually take in an exhibit, too. Yesterday I saw turtles in a pond in Central Park!
    What Are You Carrying? Ocean Breeze Edition (08/2019)-img_20190807_130259-jpg

Bonus questions comment: +1 on adding the Badlands to the UNESCO World Heritage sites. I grew up in the Black Hills of South Dakota and the only thing I miss about where I grew up is the land. Not many places I've been to are more beautiful.
    "Ignoring isn't the same as ignorance, you have to work at it." -- Margaret Atwood, "The Handmaid's Tale"

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @aedifica There's a schneller version if you subscribe. It's helping to bring my listening comprehension back up to speed. Now to work on my vocab, ich hab so viel vergessen.
    I had to think hard to decide if the Cologne Cathedral or Skellig Micheal was my favorite UNESCO site.

@MatthewR I completely agree with you about the music for into the spiderverse! I don't dare wish for a sequel because the disappointment will be bitter if they don't nail it a second time

@Rei share with us what you do for a journal with your photos. I'm looking for something, I've fiddled with different tools and ideas but nothing has clicked for me yet.
    Last edited by twosandalz; 08-08-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @kathryn: Wow, that‘s great that you picked up the book! I am still struggling with it, maths has always been the major challenge for me...

@kevin: it is never too early for Oktoberfest!

@twosandalz & @aedifica: I really admire you for learning German! It is such a difficult language even for Germans

Still testing the Synik 30 in Navy Parapack. Pics here...

2. What are you reading?

„How not to be wrong“ by Jordan S. Ellenberg

I‘ve just seen „A beautiful boy“ a haunting but also wonderful movie about a family struggling with the drug addiction of their son. Based on a true story with incredible actors.

I just rediscovered the Kings of Convenience.

I mainly eat Caprese Salad but that‘s not really cooking....

I am working on the pictures I took during my recent trip to the US.

Boston & Chicago

The old harbour warehouses in Hamburg.

Bonus #2. What site do you think UNESCO should add to the World Heritage List, but isn't currently?

That‘s a diffcult one! Have to browse the World Heritage List first...
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twosandalz View Post
    [...]
    @Rei share with us what you do for a journal with your photos. I'm looking for something, I've fiddled with different tools and ideas but nothing has clicked for me yet.
    @twosandalz,
    it's a (very) personnal journal with my s.o., a copybook with movie tickets, travel transport tickets and such, plus some drawings (more like doodles) and some texts (and likely some photos, but I have to print them...), nothing out of ordinary... we will just do whatever it comes to our mind
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't mean to show us your personal journal, but to tell us what tools you used. It sounds like you're going with paper, so is there a notebook that worked best? Or pocket pages? That kind of thing.
    Last edited by twosandalz; 08-09-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I alternate my EDC depending on whether I'm carrying a computer. If yes, then it's my aubergine Imago, if no, then it's my black Halcyon Sidekick. Both indispensable.

2. What are you reading?

How to Become a Federal Criminal by Mike Chase. Sad, and hilarious, and infuriating, all at the same time. Oh, and there are illustrations, too.

None.

The Mekons new Deserted album, which has reminded me to play their Journey to the End of the Night more often. Both seem appropriate soundtracks for our contemporary situation.

Variations on shakshuka eggs for breakfast, and combinations of garden veggies--beans, cabbage, snap peas, baby zucchini and yellow squash--with Malaysian style peanut sauce, over rice or noodles, sometimes with a bit of protein like shrimp or chicken, and sometimes with just the vegetables.

Finishing a couple of book chapters, decluttering my office. That's still a work in progress...

In the past month, to Melbourne Australia (for the first time) and Baltimore (for the umpteenth time). In the next month or two, to Los Angeles, Copenhagen, Austria, Kuala Lumpur, and Wuhan China. Then staying home for a while.

Hard to pick, but I'm going to say the old sites in Istanbul.

The California Zephyr train route between Chicago and San Francisco, passing through the plains, the Rockies, and the Sierras before kissing the Pacific coast.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve been carrying my Aubergine SCB as EDC for the last few weeks. Just love it, especially paired together with my favourite blouse.

2. What are you reading?

Currently reading a book about zero waste.

Right now I’m watching a lot of TV, because I still haven’t got a decent internet connection in my new flat and can’t stream anything. Depending on what’s available it’s mostly documentaries.

Posting about the origin of my forum handle a few days ago made me go back to listening to Runrig.

As always, lots of coffee. But also a lot of fresh fruit and veggies, I have a nice farmers market here three times a week. I’ve been eating in the canteen on work days and don’t feel like I need to eat that much in addition when I’m home in the evenings.

I’m still renovating the flat I moved into...

My last trip was to the North Sea, I spend a long weekend on Norderney. Otherwise there’s going to be lots of working in the next few months. I’m planning a holiday in Tenerife at the end of the year after my probationary period is over.

The Upper Middle Rhine Valley, because that’s my home turf.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The summer carry of choice has become my Nebulous/Island DLBP... filled with ghost whales (fitting for being by the sea...) holding notebooks, lib-balm, pocket flashlight, two peppermints, eyedrops, and a foldable spork; also in there is a locally made small leather snap pouch with coins, a COW holding extra cards that could be helpful, a water bottle, a cloth napkin, and a Goo-tub with nuts, at the moment. I simply love that TB bags contain so smartly all one needs both for work and for adventure...The point to me is Am I ready to go? And these bags hold Yes.

2. What are you reading?

Dearie, a bio of Julia Child; Palaces for the People, a book on how urban infrastructure serves the good of the community; The Lamorna Wink, old Martha Grimes--love spending time with her characters; and The Philosopher's War.

Just watched The Great Hack--thoughtful and morally disturbing, to say the least. Also freely admit to delighting in Mary Poppins Returns.

Ologies podcast! Absolutely delightful. And, Nina Simone, Sara Thomsen, Natalie Merchant, and assorted Broadway tunes.

Baked zucchini fritters with feta cheese and green onion with a big glass of 1/2 seltzer-1/2 unsweetened mint ice tea...

Continuing to write and to blog and have begun hosting an as yet unreleased podcast.

Went to visit a longtime friend who lives too far away. We filled the days with laughter enough to last us a while, for sure, and conversations that matter.

Lunenburg, Nova Scotia! https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/741

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope I'm not too late to the party!

I have a Verde 1050 Ballistic Pilot, usually carry my Thinkpad with me, phone, keys, some identification. You never know when you will need it!

2. What are you reading?
    The Life of a Stupid Man by Ryunosuke Akutagawa. That is rather short, so I have some nonfiction lined up next, like The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton, Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport, Emotional First Aid by Guy Winch and Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. I have a varied reading list, I know.

Rewatching old episodes of Black Mirror, albeit idly. Want to revisit The Sopranos soon, as well as Mad Men. Catch up with The Good Place before the new season premieres.

Really love Kyrie featured on Fleabag, wish it could be longer! Takes me back to younger days when the family religiously attended church. Old El Debarge songs. As for podcasts, I'm listening to Heavyweight and Reply All.

Panini with our new panini press! We have one from Cuisinart, think it is the one mentioned on this, and love that cleaning it is painless. We are also planning on doing our own yogurt. As for drinks, does water count? Ha ha, I'm trying to drink at least 2 liters a day, and thankfully that can be easily logged by using an app.

Besides some of our mild culinary adventures, I am creating an itinerary for our trip in the future! Hope to visit Porto soon, but this time with more company. Just looking for destinations we'd like to see while there.

Oh, inadvertently answered this on the previous number.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never too late

Quote Originally Posted by robburdtt View Post
    [...]
    2. What are you reading?
    The Life of a Stupid Man by Ryunosuke Akutagawa. That is rather short, so I have some nonfiction lined up next, like The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton, Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport, Emotional First Aid by Guy Winch and Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. I have a varied reading list, I know.

[...]
    that sounds interesting
    Last edited by Rei; 08-23-2019 at 07:41 AM.
    just a Bihnion here

Manhattan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

During the week: EDC is Pop Tote in aubergine with Medium Cafe Bag Freudian Slip in grass, A45 side pocket packing cube in Northwest Sky for my Hoodie of the Day (despite this summer in NYC being warm and sticky, I work in a super-chilled television studio), and various Travel Cubelets, Q-Kits, and ghost whales for my miscellaneous stuff.

Weekend carry is typically my Medium Cafe Bag in nebulous grey ... Side Kick in nebulous grey ... or Small Cafe Bag in burnt orange.

2. What are you reading?

Publications: at any given time, the latest issues of The New York Post, National Review, Popular Mechanics, Good Housekeeping, Family Circle, Old House Journal, and Stereophile.

Books: "The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion" by Jonathan Haidt, and "Blockchain for Everyone" by Sir John Hargrave (due out this month).

No video games. Haven't been to the theatre (stage or screen) in I don't know how long. Currently catching up on "Cagney & Lacey" on Amazon Prime.

At the moment (and almost always during the day): CBS-FM.

Don't do a whole lot of cooking or baking. This summer my two go-to cocktails have been Aperol Spritzes (along with the rest of the world), and vodka stingers.

Putting the finishing touches on launching my podcast.

Trying desperately to get the hell out of network television news.

And just as of last week, working on curing my skin cancer.

Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh. And -- Pittsburgh. When I'm not working in NYC, I'm trying to spend as much time as I can with my parents. Dad's not doing too good.

Statue of Liberty

The Cathedral of Learning at the University of Pittsburgh:

What Are You Carrying? Ocean Breeze Edition (08/2019)-1f2cbe2ab9fda89302f73f1d35d8378a-jpg

What Are You Carrying? Ocean Breeze Edition (08/2019)-cathedral_of_learning_pittsburgh_by_jennifer_yang-jpg

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @PaulT00 - I really loved the Bitten series - Season 1 and 2 were the best. 3 was okay. The books are good too, although I little different in flavor.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - Nik's #4 wallets, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For work, alternating between the S19 (navy) and S25 (Mars Red), and expecting to make my S22 (abergine) my more regular daily carry once it arrives. On weekends, I love my burnt orange L12. I also use a mix of organizers - Q-kits, ghost whales are my most favorites.

2. What are you reading?

I just inhaled Rick Riordan's various mythology series. The books are geared towards teenagers but I enjoyed the quirky plots. Next up is Sometimes I Lie, in advance of the Sarah Michelle Gellar TV series. My newsy daily read is the Wall Street Journal.

"Queen of the South" is one of my favorite shows right now (is it wrong that I really love a drug dealer and her murderous crew?), The 100, and The Son. Finally caught Avengers Endgame on Amazon. Not bad.

I've got an eclectic mix of country, pop, classic rock, and showtunes in my iTunes and Amazon Music libraries. I usually just turn on one of my playlists and get a mix. One of my all-time favorite songwriter/artists, though, is Hal Ketchum.

Not much of a cook or baker. My drink du jour in the mornings is iced coffee (half coffee and half whole milk), or vanilla caramel tea with lotsa milk.

I enjoy photoshoping photos, although my app of choice is Affinity Photo or Designer.

Alas, no travel on the horizon for me unless it's work. My last trip was to Chicago. My next work trip will likely be to LA.
    Last edited by KathyH; 08-23-2019 at 02:24 PM.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - Nik's #4 wallets, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @NYCWriter, it sounds like you have multiple stressful things going on! Best wishes to you as you deal with all of it.

I'd never heard of the Cathedral of Learning, thanks for the beautiful pictures!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast