Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Are You Carrying? Ocean Breeze Edition (08/2019)

Come one, come all, it's time for the once, twice, and sometimes even thrice a year forum game/questionaire "What Are You Carrying?"!

So, without further ado, on to the questions!

1. What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors, pics always welcome)?
    2. What are you reading?
    3. What are you playing or watching (movies, theatre, video games, etc.)?
    4. What are you listening to?
    5. What are you cooking/baking/drinking?
    6. What are you making/creating/doing?
    7. Where have you gone lately? -or- What travel destinations are on the horizon for you?

Bonus #1. What is your favorite UNESCO World Heritage Site?
    Bonus #2. What site do you think UNESCO should add to the World Heritage List, but isn't currently?

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A black 525 PCSB (yay--"Portable Culture" label) for every day, my A30 for travel, and many travel trays to contain my chaos at home and away.

2. What are you reading?
    I picked up How Not to be Wrong after noticing it in @bartleby Synik 30 review. Also reading a series of police procedurals, but the author's starting to grate on my nerves so I'll probably chuck it when I finish the one I'm in the middle of now. My boss recommended Euphoria by Lily King, and that's in my stack (well, Kindle virtual stack anyway).

Looking for my next binge-worthy show, and mourning the fact that Netflix decided to cancel The OA. I think the last movie I watched was Isn't It Romantic.

Podcasts, as usual. Recently added Hell and Gone and Throughline to my list of subscriptions. When I need to concentrate at work, the brain food and deep focus Spotify channels.

Eating/cooking easy stuff, since it's hot here, like rice and bean tacos with avocado; lots of fresh fruit. Drinking Japanese whiskey and local IPAs.

Ugh--trying and repeatedly failing to get a bunch of photos framed and hung. They're all b&w prints from my travels, and I've just been procrastinating because making a gallery wall is a lot of fussy measuring, etc. I didn't go back and check, but I think this might have been my project in the last version of this thread.

7. Where have you gone lately? -or- What travel destinations are on the horizon for you?
    I'm headed to the UP to visit family soon. In September I'm off to San Diego for work, and in October I'll be visiting Ireland for the first time.

This is a tough one! I am not sure I could ever pick a favorite, but two of my top places are the Curonian Spit and the Ancient Beech Forests of Germany. You can probably tell that the Baltic holds a special place in my heart.

Bonus #2. What site do you think UNESCO should add to the World Heritage List, but isn't currently?
    Some part of the shoreline of Lake Superior in Michigan's upper peninsula.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Current daily carry is my keys with uv key strap and super mini aubergine ghost whale. Iím not carrying an edc bag at the moment. I donít use a purse and I canít seem to settle on a work bag, so Iíve just been leaving everything at my desk until I figure it out. Kinda keeping a half eye out for a halcyon s19 with everyone cleaning out closets for the synik release. Alas, the synik is way out of my price range and wonít be an addition anytime soon.
    2. What are you reading?
    Mycroft Holmes by Kareem Abdul Jabbar, The 7 1/2 deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Theron
    Light as a Feather season 2, Veronica Mars Season 4, and re-watching Archer
    A Conspiracy in Belgravia on audio, and the soundtrack channel on Pandora
    As little as possible (cooking that is) drinking the organic michelob ultra since I canít find Becks Light in any store within an hours drive of me, summer is my light beer season
    Lesson plans, classroom decor stuff (including a flying car for my friends Platform 9 3/4 themed classroom)
    Went to the NH Whites in July, Disney in June (bf loves that place), have plans to go back to New England for sister baby shower in September. After that is family reunion at Thanksgiving in NJ and then Europe next summer (France and Italy)

Old City of Jerusalem, something about walking the same streets as people 5,000 years ago blows my mind (Iím from the US where 200 years seems ancient)
    Lantau Island in Hong Kong, the cable car affords an amazing ride and view, then the park itself has gorgeous views and a peaceful temple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1.What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors, pics always welcome)?

I just downsized my work bag from an S25 to an L15 in nebulous/island. I really like it so far. I am using a TC and a small ghost whale for additional organization.

2. What are you reading?

Whatever my 2 year old tells me to read to him.

Whatever my 2 year old tells me we are watching.

Podcasts

Oktoberfest! Is it too early?

Computers

Last month I went to Portland for the first time, it was a fun trip with the family. This month a weekend trip to the mountains. Next month a beach trip and some work travel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    making a gallery wall is a lot of fussy measuring, etc.
    I have a spot I've been meaning to measure out for ages for a collage of my post card collection. It's such a hassle.

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Swift for work, as usual. And there's a viridian cubelet and GW inside. My PLO of chose has been a Baggallinni which is a mashup of a SE and a TC. It's got an iberian OP inside for lip balm, tape measure, etc.

And I'm carrying a grass 3DOC on a 3/4" strap for my phone and keys when I take a walk. The 525 ballistic makes it look like a bag. It never occurred to me to carry my iberian one like that.

2. What are you reading?
    Short, page-long essays in German. I'm rebuilding my vocab, it's soooo slow!

I sat down to my first movie in months, Spiderman Into the Spider-Verse. Fabulous animation and I loved the story.

Slow German podcast. Where was the slow language concept when I was learning German the first time around?

Drinking: lots of mint iced tea. What took me so long to movie my mint plant onto the porch?
    Cooking: Whatever comes out of my veggie garden. It's been driving my meals the last few weeks. Deeelish!

Re-learning German after a looooong hiatus. And working up the courage to get back into sewing clothes. Alterations aren't going well, I'm better off to start from scratch.

I spent a week at Acadia National Park. I've been going for 20+ years and never seen it so busy, and in fact they set visitation records while I was there. It was so nutty even the bus system faltered.

Sometime before November I want to go camping for a long weekend. I'm debating between a short drive to the White Mountain National Forest, which means more time doing stuff. Or more time in the car to drive somewhere I've never been, like northern VT.

Skellig Michael. Mind-boggling.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Side Kick in dark halcyon when necessary! This is probably blasphemy on the TB forums, but I actually don't like carrying a bag most of the time when I can get away with just my phone/wallet and keys. Travel is the exception, of course. If I have to carry more on a daily basis, then I use my SK!

2. What are you reading?
    I'm about to start Gods of Jade and Shadow!

Just finished watching Veronica Mars, which I'd never seen before but enjoyed.

Dax Shepherd's podcast.

Not a fan of cooking but recently got very into eating Laotian food, so I'm trying lots of great Laotian restaurants when I can.

Rehabbing my fractured leg at PT so I can get back to running!

Next trip is Philly, but in a couple months I'm heading to India for the first time which I'm very excited about!

Either the Okavango Delta or the Real Alcazar in Seville.

Islas Ballestas near Peru, mainly because the overtourism is harming the animals immensely.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @twosandalz, I'd never heard of Slow German--thanks! Das ist echt toll. I've been brushing up on my German too.

Yesterday, a Nebulous/Island Daylight Briefcase. A Pilot would have been better suited for my load but the color of my Pilot would have looked odd with what I was wearing for the interview.

2. What are you reading?
    I just finished the Turing Hopper series by Donna Andrews, and now I'm re-reading The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison. Highly recommended!

This summer I've been watching a lot more movies & TV than usual. I'm almost caught up on the MCU movies, I've recently started re-watching Leverage, and I'm also currently in the middle of watching the YouTube video of Ijeoma Oluo's "So You Want To Talk About Race" talk at Google.

The audiobook of another Donna Andrews book, Lark! The Herald Angels Sing which I'm re-listening to in preparation for listening to her new book that just came out a few days ago. Bernadette Dunne, the reader for this series, does a great job.

Cooking very little, but I picked up some zucchini and a striped zucchini (a new vegetable to me) at the farmer's market yesterday. I'll probably slice them thinly and fry them with scrambled eggs. Maybe I'll add rice noodles.

Knitting a bunch this summer. If I'm watching TV or a movie I'm almost always knitting at the same time.

Seattle! I'll be going later this month to visit my sweetie.

It's a toss-up between the Sanctuary of Asklepios at Epidaurus; Stonehenge, Avebury and Associated Sites; and Cologne Cathedral.

Perhaps something in the Neander Valley ("Tal," formerly spelled "Thal," is German for valley, so "Neanderthal man" is literally "Neander Valley man" because that's where the first specimen was found).
    Last edited by aedifica; 08-12-2019 at 09:22 AM. Reason: fix book title capitalization!
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nebulous gray/island Luminary 12 or black ballistic/island Synik 22

2. What are you reading?
    I am alternating between John Grisham and T.C. Boyle novels at the moment.

I recently watched the series The Killing, which is set in Seattle, and it was neat to see familiar landmarks.

Mainly radio surfing in my car, although I did get a Sonos soundbar and have been taking advantage of some of the music apps.

I finally splurged on a burr grinder for my coffee, and wow that makes a difference! I am really enjoying sampling various coffees, and I just finished a bag of Birds and Beans Scarlet Tanager dark roast. Today I opened a bag of Batdorf & Bronson Dancing Goats blend, and I think I am in love with this coffee!

Trying to begin downsizing slightly/decluttering, but it is hard to be motivated during the nice weather window here.

I went to DC for work, going to Chicago for work, and I am hoping to get in some nice day/overnight trips in Washington to Mt Rainier, N Cascades, Olympic Peninsula, etc.

Please don't make me choose!
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EDC: I still use my big o-ring (attached to my non-TB EDC bag) with some add-on
    (click for true size)

On travel: my Mars Red Guide Edition Synapse follows me everywhere *w* (as main bag for minimalist travel kind of)

2. What are you reading?
    Too many mangas and webcomics (as usual...), currently I catch up Unlucky is as Lucky does by M. Nires

Recently, Toys Story 4 and The Lion King, summer movies you know...
    and I am rewatching Gokusen drama (all seasons) with my s.o. (I adviced them to read the manga and then...)

mmm, replay Speechless from Aladdin (2019) too many often and (G)I-DLE (and still listening a lot of handpan music of course)

often sparkling water at lunch time... (I don't cook/bake something in particuliar)

I am procrastinating way too much (I intend to order my photos and start a kind of journal pretty soon...)

I recently went to MŤze (France) for the Handpan Festival and into Jura (France) visiting my friend
    plan to go to South-East Asia at the end of the year

likely VatnajŲkull National Park (but I know so little -of the world-) you know nature, treck, ice & snow
    just a Bihnion here

By the seaside, England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For travel, there is always the ever-reliable Aubergine/Wasabi Aeronaut 30. It corrals a variety of items -
    * two Packing Cube Shoulder Bags, one in Zest and the other in Island, holding clean clothes
    * a size 4 Travel Stuff Sack to hold used washing
    ++note that one of the PCSBs or the (partially) full TSS4 also does double duty as a lumbar support cushion when travelling by train on the frankly dreadful seats aboard GWR's new InterCity Express Trains... an ironing board would be comfortable and well-padded by comparison, and probably have better lumbar support!
    *one Side Kick in Mars Red ballistic, organising my extensive collection of prescription and solar eyewear, pens, plus a Grass Ghost Whale full of prescription meds and a large Verde Q-Kit with stuff like antacids and dental floss;
    * a French Blue Cordura 3D Clear Organiser Cube containing shower gel, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush and beard wax
    * an Olive Parapack 3D Clear Organiser Cube holding most of my electronics-related impedimenta - MacBook power brick, USB-C adapter, HDMI cable, phone power bank and charger etc.
    * a Coyote Small Q-Kit full of teabags.
    * an Aubergine Small Q-Kit with a trial-size bottle of contact lens solution in it. Does anyone know why the manufacturers won't sell the little trial-size bottles of contact lens solution? They're the perfect size for travel!
    * a suitable size cache protecting my (now-discontinued ) 12" MacBook Retina.
    * my Zest Travel Tray as a catch-all!

My pockets: (I habitually wear cargo trousers)
    * two strings of keystraps hooked together, one with my keys on the end (left trouser pocket) and the other with my office building access card in a mini organiser pouch. The card doesn't actually have to come out, it's a contactless thingy.
    * a Forest Small Q-Kit with change in it
    * a Kiwi Small Q-Kit holding contact lens case, spare lenses and re-wetting drops

Occasionally:
    * a Mars Red 525 Ballistic Small Cafe Bag (with Dawn lining I think) has been acquired and pressed into service as a day bag when I don't need lots of stuff, such as when schlepping from hotel to office on the middle day of a 3-day stay in London while the A30 sleeps quietly in the hotel room...
    * last week my Zest Large Shop Bag trekked to London while carrying my old work laptop (Lenovo T440) and its docking station along with various other bits and pieces.

2. What are you reading?

I'm about halfway through Lies, Damned Lies, and History by Jodi Taylor - book 7 (I think) in the "Chronicles of St Mary's" series

Wading through various stuff on Netflix, mostly - Second Life, Bitten; just finished season 3 of Stranger Things.

Jarre: Equinoxe Infinity, plus various other stuff in similar vein.

Cooking is mostly handled by my other half these days - a variety of recipes all aimed at things like weight loss, heart health and heading off diabetes following a bit of a pre-Type-II-diabetes scare a couple of months ago. Drinking, mostly various types of tea (subtype brown, preferably malty, with milk (goat's)). Also Gin (mainly Hayman's London Dry Gin at the moment) with various mixers, Scotch (subtype single malt: Laphroaig, Cardhu presently) and Port (Graham's Reserve Tawny). Plus water of course. But generally not mixed together.

Aside from working on preparation for a WithHolding Tax Drop; discussing verification of Rights with a business analyst; and looking at how application access control could work better at work, on the domestic front I am wrangling various contractors to get our upstairs front lounge and secondary kitchen stripped out, walls and ceilings replastered and then redecorated. At the moment both rooms are at the mostly stripped out stage; the electrician and builder are supposed to be turning up next week and the week after, respectively. (for historic reasons the house has two lounges and two kitchens... yes, it's weird).

I also try to take the dogs out for a walk occasionally!

London. For Work. Sigh.
    Last edited by PaulT00; 08-08-2019 at 09:29 AM.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    * an Aubergine Small Q-Kit with a trial-size bottle of contact lens solution in it. Does anyone know why the manufacturers won't sell the little trial-size bottles of contact lens solution? They're the perfect size for travel!
    I love the variety of colours you have!

I forget where you live, but here in the US there are several options with 2oz contact lens solutions...I use the B&L Bio Tru

https://www.amazon.com/d/Contact-Len...01IAI14CG?th=1
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

By the seaside, England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I love the variety of colours you have!

I forget where you live, but here in the US there are several options with 2oz contact lens solutions...
    Why be a Molly Monochrome when there are so many fun colours in the world? I'm not sure my signature is completely up to date but it's a start!

I'm in the UK... I use Opti-Free, but Alcon only supply the really neat little "trial/starter kit" size (about 60ml I think) in bulk to contact lens opticians over here, as far as I can tell. Their Travel Size bottles are something like 90ml in the UK, but that's much bigger than the little bottles... I end up trying to persuade my optician to let me have a couple of the little starter bottles whenever I go to see them!
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post

I'm in the UK... I use Opti-Free, but Alcon only supply the really neat little "trial/starter kit" size (about 60ml I think) in bulk to contact lens opticians over here, as far as I can tell. Their Travel Size bottles are something like 90ml in the UK, but that's much bigger than the little bottles... I end up trying to persuade my optician to let me have a couple of the little starter bottles whenever I go to see them!
    How annoying - it may take forever for them to act, but email/write Alcon and whomever else supplies over there that you want sizes to meet the US requirements for travel. Big companies do listen and will add things if enough people ask for it...
    They make it over here, so they have the specs - but they'd probably have to invest in new tooling in UK or Europe thought... and it's not like folks from the US/EU don't *sometimes* happen to fly over here (!)

The opticians usually get the samples for free, so definitely ask for more - good luck!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @kathryn My wife and I are in the same predicament. We took a small gallery wall down to move it and put another in their place. We put the replacement up, but we haven't gotten the gallery wall back up in its new place, so I know how you're feeling there.

@melminimalist I didn't know Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was an author! I'm super excited to know this and I'm definitely going to be reading (well, listening really as audiobooks is how I've been consuming books lately) some of his work!

@twosandalz Into the Spiderverse is the best Spiderman movie made, in my opinion. The art and music are just so great!

I've been mostly carrying my Burnt Orange 1050 Ballistic Pilot as of late since I've started carrying a Chromebook a couple times a week lately for TTRPGs I'm in since I don't have time to get home beforehand and grab it.

2. What are you reading?
    I was trying to get back into reading (or at least listening to audiobooks) so I looked at the Nebula Awards/Nominations and started going. I've been on a Nnedi Okorafor kick the last month, having read/listened to all the Binti novellas and Akata Witch, I'm currently on the waiting list for pretty much everything else. I also finished Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora, which took me a little bit to get into but I really liked it by the end.

NoClip had a great documentary series about the Hitman reboot, so I'm back into IO Interactive's Hitman 2 again. I've also been playing Zachtronics' EXAPunks.

Flor de Toloache's Indestructible album is just great.

I've been on a weird instant ramen kick lately. Instant ramen, freshly soft-boiled eggs, nori, and pork belly slices. Other than that, it's summer so I've been making more tacos.

I've been trying to build the motivation to dig out the Raspberry Pi that's been languishing in a closet and hack it to be more-or-less a battery-powered Bluetooth-connected USB hub to make my mechanical keyboard and mouse lapboard wireless.

Nowhere lately. Maybe a trip to Denver on the horizon, but that's pretty up in the air (pun unintented but appreciated nevertheless).

Why did I make this question so hard? Ah, I'm going to just cap it at the ones I've been to and it's still hard even with so few... I'm just going to go with Venice and Its Lagoon. Really the UNESCO page says it all. It's a marvel of engineering made to hold up of marvels of art and historical significance all tied together in a breathtakingly beautiful package. If I ever go back to Italy, Venice is back on the menu and the idea that it may one day be beneath gone due to the rising sea levels is devistating.

Badlands National Park. It's significant not only for the United States of America historically and culturally (just look at all the westerns set in or around Deadwood the art of Devil's Peak or statified buttes that look curiously like those in the Black Hills) but also for precolonial America. It also has one of the richest fossil beds in the world and beautiful scenery.
    Last edited by MatthewR; 08-08-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast