Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Merino dresses

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! Can you comment about the pockets on the Wool& dresses? How do the bust and armholes fit? I'm concerned because the models have small busts and the bust of the dresses seem to pull funny.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I'm not sure how practical this would be for travel, but it's a lovely merino dress. https://www.theirishstore.com/the-sk...iABEgJsmfD_BwE

elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Thank you! Can you comment about the pockets on the Wool& dresses? How do the bust and armholes fit? I'm concerned because the models have small busts and the bust of the dresses seem to pull funny.
    Sure! The pockets on the Rowena are lined with a silky material. They don't bulk out at all. There aren't any pockets on the Avery. I have a small bust like the models, though I'm much shorter, and haven't noticed any strange pull. I can see the swing dress being bulkier with a larger bust, but I'd try it on first. The Avery& Shirt Dress are more structured and tie at the waist so they might be a better fit.

I think there's some photos of people of different sizes wearing them on their FB or IG. You might try looking there to see if that helps determine fit for your body type?

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOO, that Aran dress is gorgeous, but I think it's probably too heavy for what I'm wanting right now.

I decided to order the Wool& Sofia dress in M and L and both colors (mauve and deep blue). The Sofia the sleeveless midi dress with an elastic waist. The other Wool& dresses are just too short for me. Plus, I'm in Florida, so sleeveless would give me more wearings if I like the fit. I'll let you know how they fit when I get them.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 09-17-2019 at 07:53 AM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: Wool& Sofia dress. I'm so disappointed.

Pros: Fabric feels nice and the colors are pretty. I like the longer length. I like the elastic waist.

Cons: The pockets are ridiculously tiny. I can't even get my full hand it them. Anything you put it them will immediately fall out. Either make DEEP pockets or don't bother.

Also, women have busts and there are no darts. The armseye is too big and gaps and shows too much bra in the front. It's cut too far in in front. The armseye needs to be higher and have a dart going from the middle of the armseye towards the center of the breast, so the top doesn't gap at the armhole. Either that or gather the fabric into the armhole binding in the front.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pros: Fabric feels nice and the colors are pretty. I like the longer length. I like the elastic waist.

Cons: The pockets are ridiculously tiny. I can't even get my full hand it them. Anything you put it them will immediately fall out. Either make DEEP pockets or don't bother.

Also, women have busts and there are no darts. The armseye is too big and gaps and shows too much bra in the front. It's cut too far in in front. The armseye needs to be higher and have a dart going from the middle of the armseye towards the center of the breast, so the top doesn't gap at the armhole. Either that or gather the fabric into the armhole binding in the front.
    I'm sorry to hear it! My "like" on your post is "thanks for the information," not "I approve of this poorly designed dress."
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, what a bummer! Thanks for reporting back. I really love my Rowena, Avery, and Clara dresses! But obviously we women are all different and it's a shame their dresses don't seem to be designed for more body types. I think I mentioned in my post that I have heard good things about Smitten Merino, but haven't tried them personally. Hopefully you can find a company that will be your Tom Bihn of dresses!

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone in the USA ordered from Smitten Merino in Tasmania? I'm wondering about quality, fit, and above all returns.

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it worth taking to a tailor to see if it can be fitted properly?
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBru View Post
    Is it worth taking to a tailor to see if it can be fitted properly?
    I am not the person you asked but generally speaking I wouldn’t take a wool dress to a tailor because unlike, say, a wool suit, this wool fabric will be knitted and not sewn. You can’t safely rip out seams in knitwear as easily as you can with woven fabric. The knitted fabric also behaves differently than woven for example it is stretchy.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sort of a tangent to this topic, but I just read about wool& Rowena dress 100 day challenge .

People had to wear the same dress for 100 days. Interestingly a few people never washed the dress in that 100 days!!!

I'm curious how long would you go without washing your merino wool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Virginia, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cute dresses! Question: Is the Wool& clothing merino? The info on the web site only notes “Wool”. :-)
    Last edited by Grandcache; 09-22-2019 at 09:11 PM.
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I can comfortably go five days between washing my merino tops. I try to hang it overnight to air it out. Ten days is okay, but only if I'm careful. Spills and potential stains require an immediate washing. 100 days? I'd only try it with merino wool, because there isn't any other fabric that could last over three months and not smell terrible.

Friends that go camping here during the Alaskan summer have been known to go three weeks wearing the same shirt. You can always tell who has the merino clothing vs who doesn't!

Merino wool is remarkably odor resistant. It is also flame retardant. It won't burn unless it's in direct contact with flame. Remove the flame, it stops burning. Knit fabric is usually wrinkle-free or highly wrinkle resistant. These features make merino wool excellent for travel. elisa

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After pondering this 100 day thing... if it's merino wool, it would be no problem, providing nothing got spilled on the dress. The difficult part would be wearing a DRESS every single day for over three months. elisa

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandcache View Post
    Cute dresses! Question: Is the Wool& clothing merino? The info on the web site only notes “Wool”. :-)
    Merino, or Merino with spandex or nylon.

Has anyone tried Smitten Merino? They are a bit of a distance from me (Florida vs. Tasmania), so I'd like a bit more info before I ordered.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast