Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Merino dresses

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Merino, or Merino with spandex or nylon.

Has anyone tried Smitten Merino? They are a bit of a distance from me (Florida vs. Tasmania), so I'd like a bit more info before I ordered.
    If you can wait until November I can give you more information. I'll be in Tasmania then and am planning to visit the Hobart location. I can do a recce and report back here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOOO, Thank you!!! That would be great.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    OOOO, Thank you!!! That would be great.
    Let me know exactly what you would like me to find out. For myself I'll be trying on the Tiffany dress.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly, I'm interest in quality review. I'm not impressed with their model photos. Seams sometimes look twisted or lumpy. Of a top is tucked in and looks lumpy under the skirt. Or underwear lines show because the material is too thin. Also, since I'm in the USA and wear a 10 (or a UK 14), the size chart seems to show that I should wear a size smaller than that, but I don't like my clothing skin tight.

Since you offered, Items that caught my eye:

Kowloon Maxi Dress
    Holly Dress (It's sort of the Tiffany dress without sleeves.)
    Boat Neck Maxi Dress
    Tiffany Shift Dress (It's sort of the Holly dress only with sleeves. It's the one you are interested in, too.)
    Margo Dress
    Any of the midi or longer skirts. I have a feeling the Marion heavyweight might be more to my liking. The regular version looks too thin.
    Sleeveless wrap, especially the herringbone version, but also the lighter weights.
    The poncho.
    Also, the fit of any of the tops.

Thanks!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I own the Tiffany dress ( in black). Size wise it's smaller (14) than my regular size in fan dress (16). Nice and roomy in the hot weather. Recently returned from an extended European summer vacation and wore the Tiffany at least once a week. Very versatile. I like to wash my clothes after every wear and we had the luxury of washing facilities.... that particular fabric is pretty much bullet proof. I machine wash in cold with wool wash and tumble dry.

Do not like their rib fabric (too stretchy). Also do not like the light colours, as you mentioned the fabric is too thin for a one layer wear out and about. It would be ok if wearing a cardigan over the dress.

In terms of tops they tend to be loose so my advice is to ask for the garment measurement across certain body areas.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For context I live in Singapore where is hot and humid every day. Wool clothing here is just not possible for me no matter how lightweight. Mostly I use my wool when I'm traveling to non tropical destinations.

this is the merino wool clothing that I have:

Ibex women's OD Heather tee
    Icebreaker Bliss wrap
    Icebreaker Villa skirt

All the above is too heavy for Singapore. For me at least.

I will revisit this thread when I'm in Tasmania so let me know if there are other things you would like me to check out. I will try on and take as many photos as I can.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is merino that survives a tumble dry? Impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by bijoux View Post
    Hi. I own the Tiffany dress ( in black). Size wise it's smaller (14) than my regular size in fan dress (16). Nice and roomy in the hot weather. Recently returned from an extended European summer vacation and wore the Tiffany at least once a week. Very versatile. I like to wash my clothes after every wear and we had the luxury of washing facilities.... that particular fabric is pretty much bullet proof. I machine wash in cold with wool wash and tumble dry.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried? https://merinoandco.com.au/womenswea...dresses-skirts

They have only a few but maybe something suitable for you?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...merino that survives a tumble dry?

Yes but I've only tumble dried the Smitten merino 95% / spandex 5% fabric. Smilie
    Last edited by bijoux; 10-22-2019 at 04:23 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I'm in Tasmania!! Plan to be in Hobart in a few days time. Will post from the shop.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggy'sMom View Post
    For context I live in Singapore where is hot and humid every day. Wool clothing here is just not possible for me no matter how lightweight. Mostly I use my wool when I'm traveling to non tropical destinations.

this is the merino wool clothing that I have:

Ibex women's OD Heather tee
    Icebreaker Bliss wrap
    Icebreaker Villa skirt

All the above is too heavy for Singapore. For me at least.

I will revisit this thread when I'm in Tasmania so let me know if there are other things you would like me to check out. I will try on and take as many photos as I can.

I'm adding the following items to the list:

Kathmandu Navua Tie (50% Merino 35% polyester 15% hemp)

https://www.kathmandu.com.au/womens/...s-tie-top.html

Wool& Avery dress

These are what I will be comparing smitten's clothing to.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I'm anticipating your report, too. I'm more interested in skirts, but nice styling could temp me to get a dress. I'm not looking to buy this month. Thanks in advance for sharing! elisa

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't wait to hear your report, too.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Ibex shop came back online recently (with password protection, if you're in their Facebook group they posted the password there) and I'm disappointed to see no dresses at all! I'm going to have to keep an eye out for dresses in regular stores - I'm not willing to pay customs on something that might not fit Frown

I did get a lovely wool dress from Sea Salt in the UK a few weeks ago though, it's not Merino but it's very comfortable.
    Proud owner of a Synik 22 (Aubergine/Northwest Sky), a Medium Café Bag (Alphaviolet), and a whole host of accessories.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long post.

Went to Smitten today. I ended up buying 3 items: the Tiffany dress black, Tiffany dress striped, and 1 pair of 3/4 cropped yoga pants.

This is size 8

This is size 6

I saw all the dresses you had in mind BWeaves. They looked good. Way too long for me to try on though. Lol.

Generally all the seams seemed in good order. I love my ibex shirts but the seams are a bit skewed. These seams laid flat and were straight.

The material really varies depending on dress and on color. For example the green Tiffany dress was a little thinner and a bit rougher in feel. I did not like the way it rested and highlighted some of my bumps. The black Tiffany dress felt thicker and flowed better down my body.

The striped Tiffany dress has a different fabric all together. It is a fine rib and oddly is the only one of the Tiffany dresses that is 100% Merino. I didn't think I'd ever buy horizontal stripes but I really liked this one.

For your reference I am about 4'11" weigh about 120lbs.

My ibex shirts are size M. My Icebreaker skirt is also an M.

The cropped 3/4 length yoga pants I bought today are a size 10.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast