Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Merino dresses

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merino dresses

I'm always looking for nice everyday clothes that would double as great travel clothes. In particular, I'm looking for good Merino wool dresses.

I have a couple good ones from Ibex, but they are out of business.
    I have one from Nau that has great, big deep pockets, but it doesn't really fit well.
    The ones from Icebreaker are too thin and too beachy and too tight across my hips or lower legs.

I see that Wool&Prince has a new ladies clothing line called Wool& but the dress styles leave me a bit cold. They're either too short. And/Or They have tiny pockets (seriously, make nice, big, deep pockets, please, or don't bother). And/Or They have no room for boobs. It looks like the dresses are cut completely flat with no darts, or are cut to be reversible. I do not have a reversible body. I have boobs in the front and a butt in the rear. A dress that fits in one orientation is not going to fit if I flip it around, so a dress that tries to do both, will do neither. Has anyone tried the new Wool& dresses?

Does anyone have recommendations for wool dresses that are work appropriate?

Oh, I'm in central Florida, so hot weather appropriate and shipping to the USA.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No help here, but I did get an email recently from Ibex saying they were coming back in a few months. Fingers crossed!!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australian company Smitten Merino. Ships worldwide. Lots of pockets Smilie Smilie and machine washable
    Last edited by bijoux; 08-24-2019 at 02:45 AM.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merino wool is a bit too finicky for me, not to mention expensive. I just have merino socks for right now. I have enjoyed the Columbia pfg dresses in the heat of the south. Lightweight, breathable, comfortable, affordable, and no special laundry instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly I've only had success with Merino separates, for exactly the reasons you described. The problem is a dress needs structure to look like more than a beach cover up. So the only Merino dress I've ever found that looks great is so heavy that I can only wear it on days when the high temperature is below freezing. Not super useful.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I'm in agreement about the separates. I've yet to find a merino dress that suits me.

For tops, I prefer the 150 summer weight merino, then I can layer if necessary. Its good all year long. I've been getting the solid colors so it can be accessorized easily.

The 250 weight merino is great for three seasons, but seems too hot in summer.

I'd appreciate any recommendations for merino skirts. I prefer a knee length, give or take a couple inches in either direction. I'm very partial to the fit and flare style, a flippy skirt, or even pleats. Thanks! elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the Prana Nadia dress. I tried one on at rei and almost bought it..but didnít because of budget at the time. Looks like itís discontinued but still on amazon. I do have the skirt in the same fabric and love it. I think the Nadia would look cute with leggings and a sweater in winter climates too.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have the Smartwool maybell. Itís thicker than the prana dress, I find it too hot in summer in Seattle. Itís definitely a fall/winter dress for me.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Elisa
    https://www.smittenmerino.com/
    Twirl skirt or circle skirt

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings Bijoux,
    Wow, they have a great selection! I even found a few that tops and dresses that are tempting. Thank you very much! elisa

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's the shipping to the USA on Smitten Merino?

And how are the returns?

Since I never know my correct size, I always order a couple of sizes and then return what doesn't fit.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Since I never know my correct size, I always order a couple of sizes and then return what doesn't fit.
    One point to note about size is that Australian sizing is different from US sizing, so it would pay to look at the size chart before ordering.
    https://www.smittenmerino.com/sizing
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea from Denises!

Australian sizing is different to USA, some items in their range are close fitting and some are designed to be loose fitting. As an example I have purchased sizes 12, 14 & 16 in different dresses. The staff are always helpful when I ask for the garment measurement. Smilie

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm used to ordering from England and Hong Kong and various other countries, so I do know to check the size charts. I like companies that give both body measurements AND garment measurements as some items are form fitting and others are designed to be loose. I really have a hard time when they only give one set of measurements.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I'm always looking for nice everyday clothes that would double as great travel clothes. In particular, I'm looking for good Merino wool dresses.

I have a couple good ones from Ibex, but they are out of business.
    I have one from Nau that has great, big deep pockets, but it doesn't really fit well.
    The ones from Icebreaker are too thin and too beachy and too tight across my hips or lower legs.

I see that Wool&Prince has a new ladies clothing line called Wool& but the dress styles leave me a bit cold. They're either too short. And/Or They have tiny pockets (seriously, make nice, big, deep pockets, please, or don't bother). And/Or They have no room for boobs. It looks like the dresses are cut completely flat with no darts, or are cut to be reversible. I do not have a reversible body. I have boobs in the front and a butt in the rear. A dress that fits in one orientation is not going to fit if I flip it around, so a dress that tries to do both, will do neither. Has anyone tried the new Wool& dresses?

Does anyone have recommendations for wool dresses that are work appropriate?

Oh, I'm in central Florida, so hot weather appropriate and shipping to the USA.
    I can comment - I am a fan of the Wool& dresses and I tend to find a company I like and stick with it (Hello, Tom Bihn!).

I have a couple of the Wool & Prince women's button downs, and bought the swing dress right when it came out. I love the dress and find it really versatile for travel, but I don't necessarily wear it in every day life. I also have the sleeveless reversible dress and like it a lot - this one gets a lot of compliments. I don't wear it in reverse though. I also just bought the new shirt dress (which is the only one that's 100% merino wool - the others are blends) but haven't tried it on yet since it just came yesterday. The material is gorgeous, though.

I'd recommend them overall, but my body type is probably different than yours. That said, if you like the styles, why not purchase them to try them on and return if they don't work? They have free shipping and returns.

I'd also highly recommend their button downs. I spilled coffee on my white & blue stripe shirt and it came right out! These are a travel staple for me.

I've heard a lot of good things about Smitten lately, too!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast