Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Active Travel Forums (that aren't TA)?

I am consistently impressed at the community feeling on these boards, something I really wish I could find in a broader travel forum. I find Trip Advisor forums to be very rude and critical, but I don't know of any good alternatives that might offer more of a community feel like we have here. Can anyone suggest any good ones?

Thank you!!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've gotten more useful travel tips on the TB forums than most other places; my feeling is that people here travel the same way I do, and are more consistently intelligent and helpful (and even funny). The Rick Steves forums are sometimes good too. Not a big fan of FlyerTalk though -- it seems to be mostly point snobs whining about things. ("I boarded my first class seat and the peanuts were... cold! Then I had to wait for my champagne while all the coach class people trooped through my space."
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Rick Steves forums have bright spots and also a fair share of sniping and grumping. Overall, I've found them more civil than TA. Agree with @bchaplin on FlyerTalk.

Perhaps not the community atmosphere we have around here, and I always hesitate to recommend it unless you're very familiar with how to navigate around the horribleness, but I've found tons of valuable info via Reddit. The r/travel subreddit is a lot of photos, a decent amount of crap-posts (e.g. "Do I need a passport to go to Europe?"), with occasional informative posts and detailed trip reports. The r/onebag one is a lot of gear heads and bag-obsessives, with a handful of "five white hanes cotton t-shirts and shoes I found at a thrift shop" contrarians. I also sometimes read r/backpacking (this is for travel not wilderness) and r/solotravel. The location-specific subreddits can also be good, when they're ones with regular local participation.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't even realize reddit had a travel subreddit, so I'm definitely going to check that out (my exposure to reddit has mainly been the antimlm subreddit Big Grin). I've used RS a bit in the past but find it tends towards less experienced travelers in my limited experience, which isn't quite what I'm looking for, but maybe I'll give it another shot. Thanks so much to both of you!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find this forum is such a breath of fresh air compared to anywhere else I've been on the internet in the past decade or so. Reddit fluctuates between great and terrible and everything inbetween. I think a classic forum like this which is less "anonymous" and more moderated is so much more friendly and feels like a community. All that said reddit does have an enormous number of subreddits. I recommend, on top of the ones kathryn mentioned, the manybaggers subreddit. For people obsessed with bags Smilie

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if itís what youíre after but I get a lot out of the Travel Fashion Girl Facebook group. Itís very very big and active and posts/comments are monitored to cultivate a positive and encouraging atmosphere.

Discussions include advice regarding passports, airlines/airports, what to visit in various cities, travel gear, and of course packing, packing cubes, capsule wardrobes, a lot about shoes, and what to wear for what weather.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cruise Critic, my home away from home. It's not just for cruisers. Some members are very helpful, some are jerks. If you frequent CC there is an ignore feature that can be helpful.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TA varies wildly by country. The Australia forum is just awful, but the Japan forum is fairly civil and helpful.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really think the spirit of this forum mirrors the excellence of the company and its people. You just don't get quality and thoughtfulness of product without that. That's why everyone gets so excited waiting for a package. Something special, the result of caring humans shows through. In turn, that attracts people looking for and appreciating that and the result is a great, kind, caring forum.

I'm fine with just that. I wish all forums were like that, but the rough spots elsewhere on make this one shine more.

I got nipped at on another more local, but necessary forum this week. All I did was try to counter (nicely) the OP that had had asked a simple, non controversial question. I merely 2nded someone on a recommendation and someone bit my head off.

Not once has that ever happened here. I'm just amazed at how generous people here are taking the to help people they have never met.

Forum Member
    The Netherlands
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Reddit, maybe try the Travelnopics subreddit. It was created basically as a response to the Travel subreddit being 75% pictures of locations, drowning out the discussion posts. Travelnopics can get a little insular (it's a smaller subreddit with a few really active people) but they are usually more to the point.