Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second everything haraya said about wool.

Someone who travels rough is going to get holes in cotton or poly items, too. The thing about wool is, when it's done right, it's very comfortable to wear. But it's not iron. It's not designed to be armor that can withstand anything. But neither is cotton. It's funny, we're perfectly fine to pay $200 for distressed denim with artfully positioned rips and holes, and washed, faded T-shirts, but we get our panties in a knot if we get a moth hole in a merino T-shirt.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 02-14-2020 at 07:41 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aww thanks GrussGott, I was worried I was a little over the top! Embarrassment

Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    Wow, excellent info, tips, and advice!! great post!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha! Great point, BWeaves.

For what it's worth, I try to buy all my wool on sale so that I'm not too worried to wear it out. (For instance - I just discovered that all the fancy department stores near me put their cashmere on deep discount in February. Stock up now!!) The other thing though is that if you take care of it, wool can last a long, long time. Somewhere in this house is a lambswool cardigan that was my dad's - I commandeered it from him in college and, other than needing a pocket stitched, It's perfectly fine. I also just realized that an overcoat I bought a long time ago - on sale, from one of those overstock retailers - is now so old it's "vintage", by my daughter's standards. Wink The polyester lining is shredded but the exterior is fine. I just need to take it to a tailor to replace the lining and it'll last me another twenty years, if not longer.

Oh! My other secret source for bargain wool is consignment and estate sales. (They might not be everyone's cup of tea; for myself I like the idea of extending an item's useful life, instead of consigning everything to the landfill.) Just last week I scored a navy Brooks Brothers wool/cashmere coat for $60. Classic style and I'll probably hand it down to my daughter someday. Thrift stores also have lots of merino - might not be "technical" brands, but nothing wrong with wearing a J. Crew shirt to go hiking! Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    It's not designed to be armor that can withstand anything. But neither is cotton. It's funny, we're perfectly fine to pay $200 for distressed denim with artfully positioned rips and holes, and washed, faded T-shirts, but we get our panties in a knot if we get a moth hole in a merino T-shirt.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. My wool and cashmere items last for decades, so I try not to be too "fashionable" when I buy. I also live in Florida, so my wool items don't get worn as much as my linen does.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. My wool and cashmere items last for decades, so I try not to be too "fashionable" when I buy. I also live in Florida, so my wool items don't get worn as much as my linen does.
    Do you have linen company reco's?
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For linen Elizabeth Suzann has a good reputation

https://elizabethsuzann.com/

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Do you have linen company reco's?
    Hereís an excerpt from my post in the Womenís travel clothing thread. There is so much linen on Etsy itís unreal. A lot of the places make to order so the last pic on a listing will be of the 10-20 colors that each item can be made in. You can also sometimes get custom lengths/modifications, depending on the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post

I love linen so much for modest summer clothes. I usually buy my linen items from Etsy, and I usually look for sellers in Lithuania because there is an enormous linen industry/tradition there. You can filter items by where the seller is.

Here is a shawl I have an eye on myself:
    https://etsy.me/3aqSGXG

I also like the shop LinenWorld, here is one of their scarves:
    https://etsy.me/2UNkjVF

Here is a wrap skirt I have my eye on:
    https://etsy.me/2o1Kf1q

Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I went to the old Ibex for was their lifestyle clothing I could wear to work and travel. Interesting tops and dresses and a circular wrap that I've used as a shawl, shrug, hood, scarf, etc.
    I'm holding out hope that New Ibex will bring back my beloved Carrie hoodie, as I've worn my remaining one to actual pieces (it's currently a vest, and its wrecked sleeves have been repurposed for repairs, LOL). I guess we'll see how it goes.

As far as merino tops, dresses, and layering pieces -- I heard about Ureshii Design here on the forums, and they've been getting basically all of my clothing money ever since. They have the cutest designs and make everything to your specific measurements (in the fabric of your choice), are great to work with if you want customizations (or want one of their retired designs), and I love that my clothing is made by Emily & Amanda in their home studio vs. mass-produced in a factory. I'm a HUGE fan of their Pure Merino (now available in a beautiful vibrant blue) and lush Sweater Merino/tencel blend. I can't say enough wonderful things about them. Heart Eyes

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Ferret View Post
    I'm holding out hope that New Ibex will bring back my beloved Carrie hoodie, as I've worn my remaining one to actual pieces (it's currently a vest, and its wrecked sleeves have been repurposed for repairs, LOL). I guess we'll see how it goes.

As far as merino tops, dresses, and layering pieces -- I heard about Ureshii Design here on the forums, and they've been getting basically all of my clothing money ever since. They have the cutest designs and make everything to your specific measurements (in the fabric of your choice), are great to work with if you want customizations (or want one of their retired designs), and I love that my clothing is made by Emily & Amanda in their home studio vs. mass-produced in a factory. I'm a HUGE fan of their Pure Merino (now available in a beautiful vibrant blue) and lush Sweater Merino/tencel blend. I can't say enough wonderful things about them. Heart Eyes
    Oh wow, what a great site!! Thank you. Their prices seem incredibly reasonable for made to measure.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I'll have to check out Ureshii Design further.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2