Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ibex is coming back next month.

I just got an e-mail that Ibex is planning on relaunching next month (or in a month, or something like that).

https://www.ibex.com

I always found their clothing fit me better than Icebreaker, and Ibex had more regular styles for just regular life or travel.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay! I've really fallen in love with merino - have you checked out the Meriwool 250 weight baselayer shirts? I have them in 3 colors now and they are just dreamy. I just wish I could find LS merino shirts in white or close to it. Always black and grey! :-)
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heart’s desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made my day! Great news!!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have a Facebook group called Ibex Insiders - anyone can join. I think the company was taken over - so it remains to be seen if the new iteration will embody all the qualities that made Ibex a beloved brand. They do seem to be open to feedback and wishlists, so go and make your preferences known! Smilie

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ibex occasionally had lighter colors, like a dusty pink or a sky blue.

Quote Originally Posted by jessmakes View Post
    Yay! I've really fallen in love with merino - have you checked out the Meriwool 250 weight baselayer shirts? I have them in 3 colors now and they are just dreamy. I just wish I could find LS merino shirts in white or close to it. Always black and grey! :-)

Forum Member
    Virginia
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There used to be an Ibex store in Seattle, and I would stock up during sales. Fairly close to their closing I picked up a couple of merino and silk turtlenecks in white and in black, and even those blends were incredibly soft and sleek. Definitely my favorite of the merino clothing companies. Thank you!
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! Love their stuff. Hopefully it comes back as good as before. If you haven’t checked out Duckworth, give them a go. Love their Vapor t-shirts.

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by damonsharp View Post
    Nice! Love their stuff. Hopefully it comes back as good as before. If you haven’t checked out Duckworth, give them a go. Love their Vapor t-shirts.
    Agreed... Ibex is great!

Stocked up on their woven wool shirts before they went under, but am glad they are making a comeback.

PS - Re that Duckworth link, be aware that the website's description of the Vapor T seems deliberately opaque about fabric content. Reviews reveal that it is made mostly of synthetics, though, with just 38% wool. :-( I get that manufacturers are increasingly using blends, but that seems like a really low wool content for that price point. I have had good luck picking up T's with a high merino content (87-100%) for much less during Ibex and Icebreaker sales. YMMV
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 10-03-2019 at 05:51 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note: Be careful when ordering from Ibex - if there are any mistakes or changes they have NO procedure for making the change before it ships.

Long version: I didn't order anything when the new Ibex site went up, but just went on their site on Saturday and ordered a couple of items. I selected size L for both but before I checked out noticed that one was showing as size S. I swapped it out, thought the change had gone through, and hit submit. Then I noticed it was still in my confirmation as S. I immediately sent them an email (3 minutes after the order had gone through) about the correction, and got an automated message saying:

"You have written to us during our offline hours but please know that we have received your email and will reach back out to you once we are back online. Our normal customer service online hours are Monday - Friday 930am - 530pm PST.

"If you are writing in to edit an order in any way, including canceling one all together, please note that we cannot make any changes to the order once it's been placed due to most orders being picked, packed, and shipped out on the very same day as purchased."

(but clearly since I had ordered over the weekend, this wasn't the case and my order was just sitting there for a day and a half, along with the email about the change)

I'm not thrilled about the situation - seems to me it combines the high price of a boutique with the inflexibility of a faceless large corporation. Will wait and see if they do anything to change my first impression of this new incarnation. I get that they are starting out again but that seems like underwhelming customer service.
    Last edited by haraya; 02-12-2020 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Edited out grumpy overreaction

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered several ladies items and I was underwhelmed. Firstly, I found the shoulders too tight. I do not have broad shoulders. The 100% merino shirts were very itchy. I also found the styles boring and the colors too drab. I can get plain wool undergarments from a bunch of other wool vendors. What I went to the old Ibex for was their lifestyle clothing I could wear to work and travel. Interesting tops and dresses and a circular wrap that I've used as a shawl, shrug, hood, scarf, etc.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you about their former aesthetic. I have a button-down merino shirt in three colors from them, and always wished I had bought the Juliet tunic.

I get that they are offering a minimal collection out of the gate but so far nothing is standing out to me as distinct from Icebreaker, Smartwool etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I ordered several ladies items and I was underwhelmed. Firstly, I found the shoulders too tight. I do not have broad shoulders. The 100% merino shirts were very itchy. I also found the styles boring and the colors too drab. I can get plain wool undergarments from a bunch of other wool vendors. What I went to the old Ibex for was their lifestyle clothing I could wear to work and travel. Interesting tops and dresses and a circular wrap that I've used as a shawl, shrug, hood, scarf, etc.

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    I get that they are offering a minimal collection out of the gate but so far nothing is standing out to me as distinct from Icebreaker, Smartwool etc.
    Yeah, the new Ibex site has been up for a few months with a few items ... I haven't heard good things, maybe their official launch will be better?

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, one other thing about merino or wool in general:

A friend who - granted, travels rough quite a bit - came back and had picked up wool moths somewhere which I guess have a 60-day life cycle (dunno) anyway by the time he noticed he was getting ready for his next trip, and had lost $1000 worth of stuff. apparently just a bunch of little holes in everything so he had to pretty much disinfect all of his clothes, bedding, etc. throughout his house because i guess like bedbugs, once you have them they can be anywhere

I've been prepping to make a full merino purchase (undies, t-shirts, outerwear) but I gotta say this has put me off of it quite a bit. I have a lot of wool stuff from 66 North, Kuhl, etc and it's all stuff I love and they don't make anymore so I immediately washed it all and put it in ziploc vacuum bags - kinda freaked me out. Talk me off the wool ledge!

Basically the green synthetics are starting to sound better for me for anything that's not airline travel (due to fire / burn hazards of synthetic clothing)
    Last edited by GrussGott; 02-13-2020 at 03:22 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on how you like to deal with your stuff and how you travel. For me, wool is worth the small amount of extra attention I have to put into caring for it. I’m never cold or clammy in wool; I sleep better in/on/under wool; it’s lighter than almost any other insulating garment (except for down); it dries fast and doesn’t hold smells.

As for care/storage: I wear a lot of lightweight wool (say 150-200 gsm, in merino) and so I try not to snag it on rough or sharp objects. When I take it off, I air it out for a day or two, and then I store it where moths are not likely to get to it. That means my coats are in a closet a little ways away from the front door. My lightly-worn clothes are folded in a closed bin, and my freshly-laundered items are in a different bin. (Your Ziploc bags sound like the right idea!) I’m also careful to keep moths out of the house as much as possible.

Laundry: I hand-wash my wool for the most part and hang it to dry.

I don’t tend to travel “rough” and whenever I get home from anywhere I wash all my gear/clothes and vacuum my bags - more from fear of bedbugs than moths.

(I do have a few shirts that have holes, either from moths - usually only if I've forgotten a shirt in an out-of-the-way corner - or from wear, like where I pull up my hoodie sleeves to get them up my forearms and out of the way. I use those for working out or walking the dog - anywhere I’m not worried about style points.)

For a lot of folks that’s more than they want to deal with. My daughter only has a few wool items that she uses for skiing - the rest of the time she can’t be bothered.

So I wouldn’t fear the wool �� - I’d just assess my needs and decide if I (still) want to deal with it.
    Last edited by haraya; 02-14-2020 at 08:08 AM.

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    So I wouldn’t fear the wool �� - I’d just assess my needs and decide if I (still) want to deal with it.
    Wow, excellent info, tips, and advice!! great post!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast