Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thermal Carafe Coffee Brewer

My 17ish year old Capresso drip coffee brewer had a thermal carafe instead of a normal glass pot. I usually only brew enough for two mugs and the carafe keeps the second one hot without cooking it off...
    I recently dropped the carafe and mangled it, plus the brewer seems to be on it's last legs...not bad after 17 or 18 years though. They don't make this style/size of carafe anymore as a replacement, plus the brewer itself is starting to get quirky.

Anyone have a relatively recent model of a drip brewer with thermal carafe that they reco?

I don't need timers or fancy options or (!!!) remote cellphone control with virtual voice assist... just a decent drip brewer into an insulated carafe.

If I can't find anything reasonable, I'll just use my backup/travel AeroPress

Thanks!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Northeast US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thermal Carafe Coffee Brewer

I donít know if youíd be into this option at all, but not having an actual drip coffee maker, Iíve been relying on a French press and a thermos to keep my coffee hot. Specifically, this one: https://wclink.co/link/23366/0/4/100...erchant=Amazon

It can keep my coffee hot for hours, if I need it to (or just forget to drink it), almost to the point of it being so hot that when Iím ready to drink it, I remove the lid and let it cool down for a few minutes first.

But itís brilliant for taking my coffee to work and everywhere else, and has never spilled or opened in my bag. If you donít find a good coffeemaker right away, this could be a good interim option.

Edit: more options! https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...-coffee-maker/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blackbird; 09-30-2019 at 08:06 PM.
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." ó Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird View Post
    I don’t know if you’d be into this option at all, but not having an actual drip coffee maker, I’ve been relying on a French press
    Thanks @blackbird... I've done French Press in the past, but usually just want a plain old drip of decent medium roast coffee... I don't add anything to my coffee and I don't like how 'muddy' some of the FP can get, though that's partly the grind
    I usually only brew on weekends or if I work from home during the week... I get reasonably decent coffee at work during the week
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love, love, love my Bunn. My model isn't a thermal carafe, but they do offer that option.

I think it makes really good coffee for a drip machine, and because it keeps the water hot all the time, it brews a full pot in a fraction of the time as a regular drip coffee maker. TBH, I haven't done the math on the energy usage of constantly hot water, but I am sure you can find that info if it's important to you.

In terms of reliability, my cousin still uses the Bunn my grandmother had when she died (close to 20 years ago), and mine is at least 12 years old. One thing I really love about it is that, though the fuse has gone a couple times over the years, it's a cheap and easy DIY fix, whereas I think most coffee makers you just have to toss when something goes wrong.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette