Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with wardrobe planning apps

Hi all! I know that a number of people on here use wardrobe apps, like Stylebook and Closet, for planning packing lists.

I just downloaded Stylebook, but I am having trouble getting good photos of items. I don't know if I'm using the wrong lighting, or the wrong background, or what...

Does anyone who uses an app like this regularly have tips/tricks for taking photos?

TIA!
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    Hi all! I know that a number of people on here use wardrobe apps, like Stylebook and Closet, for planning packing lists.

I just downloaded Stylebook, but I am having trouble getting good photos of items. I don't know if I'm using the wrong lighting, or the wrong background, or what...

Does anyone who uses an app like this regularly have tips/tricks for taking photos?

TIA!
    Here are some things I do for my pics:

-Use daylight but not direct sunlight. A cloudy day or a sunny day when the sun is around the other side of the house both work well. Move as close to a window as you can get.

-Have a simple, single-color background. A plain white or ivory sheet works as does light carpet.

-Contrast. Stylebook can remove the background from your pics but it works better when there is a big difference between the color of the garment and that of the background. My clothes are dark so a white sheet works well but if you have a lot of light clothes then experiment with darker backgrounds. You just need it to be different enough that the app can easily cut it out.

Hope this helps!

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @Cristina! I’ll give those a try... in the meantime I’m stealing pics from google image searches and now I’m completely obsessed with this app Help with wardrobe planning apps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kathryn; 10-02-2019 at 11:55 AM.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    in the meantime I’m stealing pics from google image searches
    That's mostly what I do! It's easier than taking a photo myself and generally works really well for me. Of course, some things are hard to find - but a little creativity gets me where I need to go
    Proud owner of a Synik 22 (Aubergine/Northwest Sky), a Medium Café Bag (Alphaviolet), and a whole host of accessories.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no idea this even existed! Tell me more — what do you use the app for?

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with wardrobe planning apps

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    I had no idea this even existed! Tell me more — what do you use the app for?
    Basically, I used it to create and check the workability of a travel capsule wardrobe, e.g. does everything match? Enough combos? Missing a layer?

Then, I used the checklist function as I was packing so as not to forget anything.

It’s super cool to see everything laid out together this way, and since I used to lay things out on my bed to get a similar effect, now I don’t have to re-lint-brush the dog hair off everything Help with wardrobe planning apps

Before I left on my current trip I started adding my work wardrobe to make working packing easier. I like that there is an “available” tag which I’m hoping will remind me what’s waiting at the dry cleaners.

Sorry—ETA: I’m also going to use it as a tool for paring down my closet. If I get to something I can’t even be bothered to photograph, it goes to the thrift store!

It might even help while shopping since I have the tendency to dupe without realizing it (at one point in my life I think I owned 4 or 5 grey v-neck sweaters; I currently own 5 pairs of grey boots).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kathryn; 10-16-2019 at 01:53 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awesome, Kathryn -- thanks for explaining! I HAD NO IDEA WE COULD DO THIS.

Please excuse me while I download some new apps...
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!