Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opaque White Women's Merino/Similar Shirt Suggestions?

Hi all,

Getting shirts is the last thing I need before my trip to UAE/India. I'm really struggling to find an opaque white merino shirt- all the reviews on possibilities say they're super transparent, but especially for the places I'll be going, that's really not acceptable. I've tried searching on Poshmark for white merino/linen/Uniqlo AIRISM shirts with the same problem.

I'm thinking about breaking down and getting this ADAY Made It shirt (made from their technical silk they claim is best for travel and is totally opaque), but figured I'd ask here in case anyone knows of a brand that has either a wearable white merino or other technical fabric shirt that works for multiple wears without stinking.

Thank you!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option would be to get a couple of Uniqlo's AIRism sleeveless/tank tops and wear those under any translucent tops.
    Last edited by G42; 10-03-2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: typo
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Historically I haven't seen a whole lot of white merino shirts, much less opaque ones. I tend to think that merino (of any color) will either be thin (and see-through depending on the color), or heavy, more opaque, and therefore warmer. G42 makes a good suggestion to wear a wool shirt under a (loose-fitting?) opaque top. Though depending where you're going that might still be a bit too warm.

Icebreaker seems to have more white or off-white/heathered offerings these days. What about these, either as a single layer or under something else?

ETA: The ADAY shirt looks great! If you have time - you might want to try one out, before buying multiples. I find silk warmer than merino, even if it's breathable. But for India wouldn't you want something loose anyway, so that it doesn't cling? (I'm thinking linen, mainly. But the last time I visited a tropical country (other than where I live ), I alternated between dark-colored merino shirts, and breathable technical fabrics. (It was worth it to me to wear dark colors in order to get the benefits of merino, plus stains don't show up as much. )
    Last edited by haraya; 10-03-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d actually just made that post after being really disappointed by the Icebreaker site haha. I just want a plain shirt with no design, but the reviews on the white shirt say it’s completely see through.

I really don’t want to layer, both for temperature reasons and because I have a 7kg weight limit and need to pack as lightly as possible.

It’s looking like the ADAY shirt is my best bet. I guess I’ll break down and give that a shot! Thanks guys!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us know how you like it! It looks really cool, I am checking out their other offerings right now!

Have a great trip!

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a lot of white for my work, and I love merino and wear it a lot. The best solution is layers. This is my favorite one:
    https://www.universalstandard.com/collections/foundation/products/foundation-tank-white

94% modal, so incredibly soft, I never want to take it off. Highly recommend, so comfy and so travel-friendly! There's a short sleeve version and a camisole version, too, depending on how much coverage you prefer.

The ADAY shirt looks great, but alas they don't make my size. Seriously, they only go to size 12? That's even worse than most places.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find most Icebreaker T's are pretty see through, even in the dark colors. The ADAY shirt looks nice. Now I've gone down a rabbit hole of that website. Thank you.

As a woman, I like the Outlier merino T-shirts, even though they only make men's sizes. The fabric is very silky feeling and much thicker than Icebreaker, so the Outlier T's are opaque. Sometimes they have a white, but usually the colors are very drab like a pale gray.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 10-04-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    As a woman, I like the Outlier merino T-shirts, even though they only make men's sizes. The fabric is very silky feeling and much thicker than Icebreaker, so the Outlier T's are opaque. Sometimes they have a white, but usually the colors are very drab like a pale gray.
    That's a smart idea, I'll take a look at Outlier. Thank you!!

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    browsing the ADAY site, and they have a lot of cool looking items--I agree with @Lia on sizing though *sigh* (I maaaay be right at their top end wrt size, so maybe I will give it a shot)

Best of luck with whatever you choose, and definitely report back!
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette