Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel tips for germaphobes

For those of us who have a little case of germaphobia (and are willing to admit it), what are some travel tips you can share? Iíll start...

Who has stood in the airport security line, watch countless of travelers take off their shoes/sandals, walk through the line and go the scanner (either in bare feet or wearing socks), and wonder how dirty is that floor? Iíll admit that I have. So, before I leave home, I put on two pairs of socks and tennis shoes. After I go through the airport scanner, I take off the top pair of socks, throw them in a ziplock back and put them in my carry-on. I am then wearing my clean second pair of socks and can put my tennis shoes back on. Yes, this is a little odd, but I feel better believing that the inside of my shoes has only my germs (or so I think.)

I also bring a little travel bag of Clorox wipes. After I board the plane, I wipe down the seatbelt and tray.

Natick, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ďFor those of us who have a little case of germaphobia (and are willing to admit it), what are some travel tips you can share?Ē

I wash my hands all the time and I try not to touch my face (eyes, mouth, nose, ears). Here is my weird one: Before I leave my house on the morning of I flight, I take a Q-tip and cover it with a bit of Vaseline and Neosporin anti-bacterial ointment and swab my nose on the inside. It keeps my nose from getting dry and I like to think it stops any cold germs in its tracks. This always makes my family laugh at me. Moreover, I have no scientific evidence that it works. Anecdotally, I donít catch colds during airline travel (Knock on wood).

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I can fit it in, I try to bring a large Shop Bag in my carry-on. Then I put my backpack in it before stuffing under the seat in front of me. When it's time to deplane, I turn the Shop Bag inside out before putting it back in my carry-on. I feel it's reasonable insurance in case there is a liquid spill mid-flight (mine, or the person in front of me), or if there is yucky stuff on the carpet.

Not exactly about germs (because I know bedbugs don't spread disease) but - I also never put my bags on a hotel bed, and try to keep clothing off the bed where possible.Too many horror stories from traveling friends of the bedbugs that hitched a ride with them. Upon my return, I also keep travel bags and clothes in the living room until I've had a chance to wash and/or vacuum everything.

Quote Originally Posted by nsh View Post
    “For those of us who have a little case of germaphobia (and are willing to admit it), what are some travel tips you can share?”

I wash my hands all the time and I try not to touch my face (eyes, mouth, nose, ears). Here is my weird one: Before I leave my house on the morning of I flight, I take a Q-tip and cover it with a bit of Vaseline and Neosporin anti-bacterial ointment and swab my nose on the inside. It keeps my nose from getting dry and I like to think it stops any cold germs in its tracks. This always makes my family laugh at me. Moreover, I have no scientific evidence that it works. Anecdotally, I don’t catch colds during airline travel (Knock on wood).
    The Vaseline idea makes sense to me - hydrating membranes certainly help keep germs at bay. I know that a friend who cannot use nasal sprays swears by saline nasal gel. (I wonder about the Neosporin though - would it be detrimental to the beneficial bacteria in one's system?)

Now that my kids are older, I don't worry as much about sanitizing everything on trips. (Although I still wipe down hotel and BnB toilets when we check in!) I try to remember to take my vitamins daily though, and get enough sleep - I think those two things more than anything help keep me healthy when traveling!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyPeas View Post

Who has stood in the airport security line, watch countless of travelers take off their shoes/sandals, walk through the line and go the scanner (either in bare feet or wearing socks), and wonder how dirty is that floor? I’ll admit that I have.
    This sounds as though investing in Global Entry would be well worth it for you — just for not having to take off your shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    If I can fit it in, I try to bring a large Shop Bag in my carry-on. Then I put my backpack in it before stuffing under the seat in front of me. When it's time to deplane, I turn the Shop Bag inside out before putting it back in my carry-on. I feel it's reasonable insurance in case there is a liquid spill mid-flight (mine, or the person in front of me), or if there is yucky stuff on the carpet.
    @haraya,

I’ve managed to carry a folded Large Zip Top Shop Bag in the pocket of a light rain jacket.(Admittedly, it would have been even easier to fold if it had been the non-zippered kind, but I was traveling for two weeks internationally just after I received the first of the Zippered model). You know that I’m under 5’4” and small build, and this was just a regular, light weight rain jacket (which looks more like the version worn in the attached video when worn, since I pulled out the packed up jacket to shoot pictures of what it looked like with the folded shop bag in a pocket). Take a look at my post [#7] in a thread on the Zip top shop bag.

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impressive! That's good to know, moriond. Thank you for the tip!

As it happens, last night I went to see a baseball game and was flummoxed when Mr!haraya told me just before we left that I should probably NOT take a bag with me, to expedite getting into the ball park. (So much so that I forgot my phone at home!) I crammed a size 1 stuff sack into my jacket pocket with some essentials (side note: my ski jacket has a small key strap in the hand pocket, so I clipped the SS to that). But next time I will check to see which jackets can fit a (small or large) Shop Bag in the pocket - that way I can decant all my things into the Shop Bag once we get past security!!

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @haraya,

I’ve managed to carry a folded Large Zip Top Shop Bag in the pocket of a light rain jacket.(Admittedly, it would have been even easier to fold if it had been the non-zippered kind, but I was traveling for two weeks internationally just after I received the first of the Zippered model). You know that I’m under 5’4” and small build, and this was just a regular, light weight rain jacket (which looks more like the version worn in the attached video when worn, since I pulled out the packed up jacket to shoot pictures of what it looked like with the folded shop bag in a pocket). Take a look at my post [#7] in a thread on the Zip top shop bag.

moriond

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take a Q-tip and cover it with a bit of Vaseline and Neosporin anti-bacterial ointment and swab my nose on the inside.
    I do something similar, although using homemade products. I add some thyme and eucalyptus oils to some melted shea butter and pour that into a tin. I use a bit of that inside my nose. Moisturizes, kills bad bacteria and viruses, and makes the masses of folks smell that much better.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel tips for germaphobes

I carry a small 1 oz bottle of germx, use the sleeve of my jacket for monorail poles and escalators. Iíve never thought about wiping down the armrests or tray before, may have to borrow that idea. I travel in tennis shoes so I can walk through security in socks and not bare footed. Iím not a germaphobe, but all the masses of people en-transit, do make me think of those virus spreading movies where everything is transmitted from air travelers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not really a germaphobe but I always wash off my avocados/melons before I cut into them and my oranges before I peel them because who knows where they've been and how many people have touched them?

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goblin View Post
    I'm not really a germaphobe but I always wash off my avocados/melons before I cut into them and my oranges before I peel them because who knows where they've been and how many people have touched them?
    I’m not a germaphobe either, but washing of fruit beforehand is just sensible to get rid of (most) pesticide residue (unless you grew them yourselves and know there won’t be anything there).