Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, moved from Hobonichi to the Nanami Cafe Notebooks. I like the size of the Cafe Note B6.

I manually set up the monthly spread calendar on 2 facing pages. This calendar format is all I need. I have been using the Nanami Cafe Note B6 since 2018.

I use my notebook to record rather than to plan. For planning, I use my phoneís calendar. It is easier to update and I have it with me all the time.

When I used a Hobonichi, I went for the Cousin Avec. The A6 Planner was too small for my purpose. The reason I moved away from Hobonichi: I had no use for the weekly section and there were are days when I had nothing to write about and days when I needed more than 1 page. I made it work, but it was annoying.

As for the Japanese quotes and the miniI calendar at the bottom, I just wrote over them when I needed the space.

I am one of those who suggested a slimmed down notebook with just the monthly spread calendar and undated pages that resulted to the Day-Free.

I planned to buy the Day-Free. But I really like the size of the Nanami Cafe B6 notebook. The Day-Free A6 would be too small and the A5 too big for me.

So I let go of buying the Honobinichi Day-Free and continue to use the Nanami Cafe B6 notebook in 2020.

The Hobonichi brought me back to writing/reflecting about my day, so I am grateful to Hobonichi for sparking this discipline and exercise. It is good for me.

Enjoy your Hobonichi or whatever brand of notebook you use.

P.S. I cannot draw a straight line or a decent circle. So, I am super jealous of those of you who have the talents to sketch, draw, paint. Me? I just dump words on paper Smilie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    ETA, it's a Nanami B6... I carry it in an A5 GW with pens, etc, there's extra space...and the rubber band thingies they sell are cool
    Hi, G42! Whatís a GW and what rubber band thingies?

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Iím pretty sure the GW is an A5 sized Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch. Not sure about the elastics unless they either allow you to put booklets together (like the travelers notebook or secure a pen or close a notebook)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnabair View Post
    Hi, G42! What’s a GW and what rubber band thingies?

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I’m pretty sure the GW is an A5 sized Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch. Not sure about the elastics unless they either allow you to put booklets together (like the travelers notebook or secure a pen or close a notebook)
    sorry for being vague
    as @moriond says, I meant Ghost Whale in the A5 size

and the bands are perfectly sized vertical bands to hold the notebook closed

Cafe Note Rubber Bands Set of 5 - Nanami Seven Seas
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, G42, how do you like the Nanami paper? I am not familiar with that brand. One of the big reasons I want to try the Hobonichi is the Tomoe River paper.
    Instead of a pouch, I’m going to try carrying the Weeks in a soft travel document holder, the ones that open like a book and zip around three sides. I was carrying a sketchbook and a handful of Micron pens in a pouch and must have banged it just right. A couple of pen caps popped off and got ink all over the pouch fabric.
    With the document holder, I can put a lot of pens in the passport pockets on the left. There are nice pocket edges to clip them in. On the right there’s a full length zipper pocket that I THINK will fit the Weeks. If it won’t fit in the actual pocket, the Weeks will just be zipped inside the document holder. I just want to protect the planner a little and keep my pens nicely protected from further inky mishaps. Plus I can stash a couple of Midori Passport size notebooks from a decommissioned TN in the outer slash pocket for throw away notes.

And this is how you know you’ve collected way too many bags, pouches and other organizers...I spent two hours on Amazon pouring over travel document holders, examining every last detail, looking for just the perfect one...then realized I had a brand new, unused one from LLBean in my stash.

Oops, G42...I hit the link for the rubber bands and took a look at the B6 and see that it’s Tomoe River! I should have checked your link first.
    Last edited by Finnabair; 11-22-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops, G42...I hit the link for the rubber bands and took a look at the B6 and see that it’s Tomoe River! I should have checked your link first.
    Yup, Tomoe River, cool stuff
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, sitting here looking at a Weeks and a Weeks Mega...not sure which one I like, or if I even like them at all. The format is certainly intriguing. The books are pretty small, which is both a good thing and a not so good thing. My original hope was to use the right side of the spread to do zentangles but I think the grid is going to be a negative for that use.
    If I can find a small, softcover notebook with really great paper for Micron pens, I’ll keep the regular Weeks for planning and my endless lists.
    I feel like I’ve looked at every small notebook on the planet with blank pages (no dots, lines or grids) and really good paper. I’m sure there must be products out there I am overlooking. Size needs to be smaller than A5 and larger than Field Notes. If anyone has suggestions, I’d really appreciate hearing them.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m sure there must be products out there I am overlooking. Size needs to be smaller than A5 and larger than Field Notes. If anyone has suggestions, I’d really appreciate hearing them.
    No idea who these folks are, but the first hit off of a google search of 'tomoe river paper blank journal' is a journal a touch smaller than A5 and blank:

https://www.paperforfountainpens.com...ank-book-cream

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    No idea who these folks are, but the first hit off of a google search of 'tomoe river paper blank journal' is a journal a touch smaller than A5 and blank:

https://www.paperforfountainpens.com...ank-book-cream
    Thanks, G42. Still bigger than what I’m looking for. I’d like the notebook to fit in a medium halcyon pouch along with my Lihit Lab Compact Pen Case and Hobonichi Weeks. I’ve tried stuffing an A5-ish notebook, Weeks and the case in the medium pouch and it won’t zip. A true B6 won’t fit either. Midori MD makes a B6 Slim but I’m having a difficult time finding the blank ones. I looked into using a Midori MD (the paper is nice) in a Standard TN size but those are too long. I’m off to the local art supply store to look at small sketchbooks...if I can find one that’s not wire/spiral bound. That’s a dealbreaker.

Mechanicsburg, PA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love, love, love my Hobo and actually need to order my refill for next year. I really hope you enjoy the one that you got!
    Meg
    -----
    Proud owner of a conifer/steel Synapse, indigo/black Swift, a couple of yarn stuff sacks, a clear organizer wallet and various organizer pouches

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly, this year Kinokuniya in San Francisco will not be carrying Hobonichi planners for 2020. (Not sure if they did last year, but at least one other local boutique does.)

Forum Member
    SW Gulf Coast FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DQBunny View Post
    I love, love, love my Hobo and actually need to order my refill for next year. I really hope you enjoy the one that you got!
    Hi...which Hobo do you use?
    I ended up keeping the Weeks Mega in Calm Navy and I got a Tsuta cover for it. The allure of all those extra empty pages in the back was too tempting. I love the Tomoe River paper and have been exploring pens to use in it. I already have a huge collection of Pigma Micron pens, and just bought some Zebra Mildliners and a couple sets of Tombow Dual Brush pens to try. Iím going to use the Weeks as about 25% planner and 75% art journal, and I want to experiment with color. Iím semi-retired and donít have a lot of appointments, etc.to keep track of, but I love to doodle.
    Iíve looked at a ton of websites and YouTube videos to see how people are using theirs and so many put a lot of stickers and Washi tape in them but that makes the books so fat. So I thought Iíd stick with inks. Iím by no means an artist and I havenít used a paper planner since I stopped using Franklin planners a couple of decades ago, but was intrigued by the Weeks layout and Iím a sucker for nice paper and pens.
    Iíd be really interested in how other people use theirs.

Forum Member
    the Puget Sound Region
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with an a6 then moved to an Avec cousin and then to a weeks and back to an a6 day free version and weeks. I plan to use the weeks as a way to see my week at a glance, as that was one of the features I liked from the cousin. I use two a6s. One for keeping notes at work and managing projects and another as a journal/diary that I also doodle in. The cousin was just too large for me to do those in and made me feel more overwhelmed than anything.

Mechanicsburg, PA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi...which Hobo do you use?
    I got the Techo with this beautiful illustrated cover that was part of the 2019 collection. I got it because a friend of mine in Montreal has been using hers for several years as a diary/sketchbook. I wish I had some photos of the pages, because they are simply gorgeous.

I have stuck with inks with my books, and my planning is just pretty straightforward. It's more of a means of keeping my mind straight because I am so busy all the time. I also jot down some notes and travel observations when I can. I love fountain pens though and go wild on the ink colors.
    Meg
    -----
    Proud owner of a conifer/steel Synapse, indigo/black Swift, a couple of yarn stuff sacks, a clear organizer wallet and various organizer pouches

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2