Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uber Cancel Scam Anyone?

Wondering if anyone has gotten hit with the Uber Cancel Scam and, if so, where?

In case you don't know, the scam is where the driver never shows up or actually asks you to cancel via SMS; thus you either incur the cancel fee, have to bother with getting it refunded or, in the best scenario, are simply inconvenienced waiting for a car that never arrives.

I've been hearing about this a lot lately, mostly with rides to/from an airport (specifically in Miami, but also other cities), and think I've had it once in San Jose, CA and once in Seattle. I hadn't thought about it, but once I did I realized there were two times the car was moving but never arrived and I cancelled and moved on. Might've been deliberate, maybe not, but I've heard about drivers sharing profiles and the replacement drivers don't know what they're doing, don't speak english, or are simply purposely doing it (for some reason - allegedly they're paid some amount for cancelled rides).

So how about it: anybody get hit with this?
    Last edited by GrussGott; 12-08-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's my understanding that Uber penalizes drivers for not accepting rides, if they do it consistently. When I was in Berlin last month a friend ordered an Uber to go to the airport and it just sat there and didn't move. It was plausible that the driver was stuck at a stoplight and considering the traffic not unlikely that they would be there for 5 or more minutes, but after 5 minutes when you cancel you have to pay a fee. Fortunately, Uber seems to have figured this out, because while the app said it would charge my when he did cancel (we waited 15 minutes) it said after we canceled that there was no charge. They do track your location and that of the driver fortuantely.
    Proud owner of a Synik 22 (Aubergine/Northwest Sky), a Medium Café Bag (Alphaviolet), and a whole host of accessories.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember a friend had this happen to her at LHR: she posted a screen shot of the Uber's track on a map, and he just kept circling until she cancelled. I don't think Uber ended up charging her, but she did have to dispute the charge with them.

I had this happen a couple times (with Uber and with Lyft, tbf) when DTW was still my home airport. Detroit's airport has a taxi monopoly, so it's a competitive market, but also one where rides may be quite long given the distance to some far suburbs (or even downtown). My guess is that drivers try to get passengers to decline the rides they think wouldn't be worthwhile so that they don't have to take the hit of having a lot of declines on their account. I don't recall it happening more recently, but I have switched over entirely to Lyft as it doubles my Skymiles for rides. Smilie My impression is it's more an issue with Uber specifically.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this happen once. I challenged the charge and uber took it off without much hassle.

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    My guess is that drivers try to get passengers to decline the rides they think wouldn't be worthwhile so that they don't have to take the hit of having a lot of declines ... My impression is it's more an issue with Uber specifically.
    aha! great insight!