Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel blanket - any recommendations? (I'm in the UK)

Ooh @haraya thanks for this link to Oscha! Baby wearing wrap shops often have the loveliest patterns and fabrics. Or maybe itís just that Iíve seen this one before and forgot Travel blanket - any recommendations? (I'm in the UK)

FYI everyone- this shop has a lot of beautiful shawls with LOTR references on them, for anyone who wants to geek out a bit in a subtle, beautiful way.

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Agree with the merino base layers for the first line of defense!

For actual travel, for me the "blankets" that have the highest warmth-to-weight ratio are scarves or shawls with a high percentage of cashmere/wool. I have had good luck with end-of-season sales.

If I had the space at work to stash a small blanket/throw:

Rumpl has puffy travel blankets - either down or synthetic.

This company is known for fabrics that are used for babywearing but they can also be used as shawls (search by the fiber - wool/lambswool/cashmere - then choose a size: shawl, or size 2). They also sell actual blankets (I like the cashwool versions).
    Last edited by Cristina; 12-17-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Oscha is very dangerous - I mean, wonderful - for fellow Middle-Earth fans like me! Big Grin I think I own more Oscha items now than when I was babywearing!! Smilie They have scarves, shawls, throws, mugs, bags, and even T-shirts (the shirts and mugs are made by third parties under their supervision, and all are officially licensed).
    Last edited by haraya; 12-17-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel blanket - any recommendations? (I'm in the UK)

I will second @harayaís Rumpl recommendation. I have several of their synthetic throws at home. And the great thing if you have pets is that the sleeping bag type material does not retain fur. My cat loves to burrito herself inside it in cool weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 12-17-2019 at 09:36 PM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Mechanicsburg, PA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this lovely M&S scarf I picked up when I was on your side of the pond last winter, and it's big enough when you smooth it out to act like a shawl. It's great if I need a last-minute emergency shawl-like thing that folds down small.

Otherwise, I'm a knitter so I reach for something I've made.
    Meg
    -----
    Proud owner of a conifer/steel Synapse, indigo/black Swift, a couple of yarn stuff sacks, a clear organizer wallet and various organizer pouches

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    A sleeping bag might be awkward when youíre around library users... Wink Is it just your office that is cold or also the public services areas? In my current library itís always too warm, but at my old place of work it was quite cold too from time to time. I have a big cashmere wool mix stole I bought in Scotland years back, itís my winter scarf and works as a small blanket at the same time. And it looks great! I also wore wool wristwarmers from time to time (so I could still type).
    LOL! Yes, a sleeping bag might be hard to get away with at work, but I have resorted to a warm infinity scarf and also a knitted shawl. Do you work in a library too?? Yay, library staff!! Big Grin The heating is now thankfully fixed, but you never know when it will go off again! It is a small building, so it heats and cools quickly. Luckily a customer brought me a big bottle of whisky as a Christmas present, so I guess I can drink that if it gets cold again! Wink
    So many bags. And I love them all.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DQBunny View Post
    I have this lovely M&S scarf I picked up when I was on your side of the pond last winter, and it's big enough when you smooth it out to act like a shawl. It's great if I need a last-minute emergency shawl-like thing that folds down small.

Otherwise, I'm a knitter so I reach for something I've made.
    I think I have an M&S scarf/shawl similar to yours! It's acrylic (I'm a knitter too, so I feel bad saying I love an acrylic thing, but I do Big Grin) and very warm! Also, yes, all the knits! It'll just give me a reason to knit more shawls!

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Yes, Oscha is very dangerous - I mean, wonderful - for fellow Middle-Earth fans like me! Big Grin I think I own more Oscha items now than when I was babywearing!! Smilie They have scarves, shawls, throws, mugs, bags, and even T-shirts (the shirts and mugs are made by third parties under their supervision, and all are officially licensed).
    Ooh, thank you! I hadn't heard of Oscha, but it definitely sounds like something I need to check out. At the moment I'm less Middle Earth and more Good Omens, but it's all good!! Big Grin

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
    LOL! Yes, a sleeping bag might be hard to get away with at work, but I have resorted to a warm infinity scarf and also a knitted shawl. Do you work in a library too?? Yay, library staff!! Big Grin The heating is now thankfully fixed, but you never know when it will go off again! It is a small building, so it heats and cools quickly. Luckily a customer brought me a big bottle of whisky as a Christmas present, so I guess I can drink that if it gets cold again! Wink
    Yes, fellow librarian here! Smilie My old place of work was in an old listed building from 1912 which was always rather cold in winter. The heating system was just too undersized for the big rooms. Iím currently working in the central public library of a bigger city and weíll get a whole new library in 2021, but right now we are still in the old premises. It was planned as a parking deck in the 1980s and it shows - definitely not pretty. And always too warm and not enough fresh air. I canít wait for the move! Love the whisky strategy btw. Wink

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! I'm still wondering which customer it was who looked at me behind the enquiry desk and thought, "What she needs is a big bottle of whisky." It is amazing how 'temporary' structures last for decades.... They want to knock down my temporary building and move the library into an old Edwardian school building across the road, but there's a lot of renovation that they'll have to do before that can happen. And there is less floor space in there for the library than there is in the current place, so honestly I hope it doesn't happen. They want to put a car park where my temporary building is. But for the time building, I'm hoping I can stay put, albeit with heating or many layers of wool and whisky. Big Grin

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just received for Christmas a wonderful travel blanket by Cocoon. If you search for Cocoon Merino Silk Travel Blanket youíll find it at a shop local to you. Itís easier to find at camping shops like Backcountry Gear or Alpine Trek than on Amazon.

So the reason I like it so much is that it is big enough to wrap around you completely, but it folds down into its own stuff sack and is thin enough to wear as a scarf. It looks like a totally normal scarf/wrap, not like anything technical or travelly. I only wish they had it in more colors, as I would love to have a couple! I went with the dark terra-cotta because it will look good with all of my navy/purple coats and I was concerned that the blue blankets would clash.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a merino shawl for travel that is wide enough that it can be a bit of a blanket. But by far and away my favorite throw bankets are by Rumpl in down. I get the throw size which can be used as a blanket but is very compact to smoosh into a smallish pouch. The one person size is larger but not by that much. I do have both but for your needs the throw is a great size.

I was going to link to the throw size but they don't seem to have any down in that size for the moment. There is also a junior size that is really for kids but it is also not currently in down.

Original - heavier doesn't compress as much
    Nano loft - newest compresses more haven't tried it
    Down - super light plenty warm compresses to smallest size.

https://www.rumpl.com/collections/th...puffy-blankets
    Last edited by tebnewyork; 12-26-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @tebnewyork Oh, that does look nice! Pricey, but nice and comfy! Big Grin I've not heard of Rumpl, seems they're doing a good job with the plastic recycling!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this information! Order placed Smilie
    Last edited by Chris D.; 12-29-2019 at 01:06 AM.
    Monster Truck (Nebulous Gray) Cadet (Steel /NW Sky) Yeoman Duffel (Burnt Orange)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is the exterior of the Rumpl re: keeping the down on the inside? I read a few reviews about some items having substandard stitching. I'm very sensitive to down - e.g. we have an additional downproof cover on our comforter to keep me from sneezing all night. But I can wear down coats without a problem.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cristina, that does look cozy! What gsm would you guess it is? How small is the stuff sack? Very tempted! Smilie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast