Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel blanket - any recommendations? (I'm in the UK)

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Thanks Cristina, that does look cozy! What gsm would you guess it is? How small is the stuff sack? Very tempted! Smilie
    @haraya I am not certain of the GSM. In the specs on the Cocoon site it says only that it is 140cm x 180cm, packs to 11cm x 18cm, and weighs 390g. I am not certain how to calculate gsm from that info but let’s try it using logic. The area of the blanket is 2.52 square meters. If you divide 390g by 2.52 m2 you get 154.7. That feels right to me (literally) because it is a similar weight and thickness to my Merino 150 zip jacket. Hope this helps!

In TB units, the blanket will fit comfortably in a TSS2.

It isn’t much bigger than the TSS1, and depending on how you fold and roll it, it can be the same diameter as a TSS1: (this is folded a bit longer and slimmer than in the TSS2 pic)
    Last edited by Cristina; 12-29-2019 at 03:23 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel blanket - any recommendations? (I'm in the UK)

Thank you Cristina! This is so helpful. I was trying to decide if it was significantly lighter/smaller than the shawl I use currently (answer: probably not). Still on the fence Big Grin ...on the plus side, merino and silk are probably less fussy than the blend I have, plus the silk will be nice and cooling at warmer destinations. But have been trying to lighten my carry-on load, so I might just go with a big (albeit thin weave) cash scarf for plane rides. Thank you for the visual!!

(I didn't have a scale handy, so approximated 390 g with a packet of rice and three Luna bars. The shawl is in a size 1 stuff sack.)

Scarf on left, shawl on right:

Scarf in stuff sack (it's also about half the weight, but unfolds to be twice as wide as the shawl):

Last edited by haraya; 12-29-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @haraya happy to help!

Your shawl seems like a great travel piece! I love to wear stuff that folds small and doesn’t weigh much.

I wanted this travel blanket to be a blanket first and foremost but I also want to be able to wear it as a scarf or shawl if I need to. In the U.K. most places have just a fitted sheet and then a synthetic-filled comforter that is too hot. So I spend all night with half my body too hot and half too cold. The blanket is very close in size to a double mattress so I am really excited to see if it helps me sleep more comfortably. I have a cotton sarongy thing that I can use in the summer as a flat sheet/sun shawl but I wanted a wooly one for winter.

Now I just need to book a trip! Travel blanket - any recommendations? (I'm in the UK)

Thank you Cristina! This is so helpful. I was trying to decide if it was significantly lighter/smaller than the shawl I use currently (answer: probably not). Still on the fence Big Grin ...on the plus side, merino and silk are probably less fussy than the blend I have, plus the silk will be nice and cooling at warmer destinations. But have been trying to lighten my carry-on load, so I might just go with a big (albeit thin weave) cash scarf for plane rides. Thank you for the visual!!

(I didn't have a scale handy, so approximated 390 g with a packet of rice and three Luna bars. The shawl is in a size 1 stuff sack.)

Scarf on left, shawl on right:

Scarf in stuff sack (it's also about half the weight, but unfolds to be twice as wide as the shawl):

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaaaah great point about sheets when you get to your destination! I hadn't thought of that, was thinking mostly about in-transit usage. I do use my shawl for that, sort of - I sleep with it over my eyes, if the room doesn't have blackout shades, and on my upper half as it regulates heat/cold better than the sheet + comforter setup that you describe. The square-ish proportions of the Cocoon blanket are also really attractive to me with respect to not having to huddle under a long narrow piece of fabric. Hmmmm... maybe I do need a travel blanket after all! Big Grin

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gah! Had to buy myself a late Xmas present: a shawl in linen/cotton from Oscha--thank you (I think lol) haraya for the recommendation. It looks beautiful, and I am in need of a lighter weight shawl for travel. My current travel scarf is an infinity scarf with hidden pocket and not suitable for a blanket.

I also have a furoshiki + handle on the way from a company in Japan, and may be able to also use the handle with this shawl for a couple of multipurpose items for travel, as the furoshiki can also be a small scarf. Smilie

Agree with the merino base layers for the first line of defense!

For actual travel, for me the "blankets" that have the highest warmth-to-weight ratio are scarves or shawls with a high percentage of cashmere/wool. I have had good luck with end-of-season sales.

If I had the space at work to stash a small blanket/throw:

Rumpl has puffy travel blankets - either down or synthetic.

This company - Oscha Slings - is known for fabrics that are used for babywearing but they can also be used as shawls (search by the fiber - wool or lambswool or cashmere - then choose a size: shawl, or size 2). They also sell actual blankets/throws (I like the cashwool versions). Or if they are running a preorder, it is possible to order a blanket in wrap fabric (thinner than the throws).
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some late-breaking gift action happened at dinner tonight, so I decided to splurge on the blanket - we’ll see how it goes! 😊 Thanks for enabling, Cristina! 😄

And Kathryn, congrats on falling down the rabbit hole! Just know that some of their linen blends may require breaking in to soften up. There are many Oscha chat/bst groups if you have any questions once your shawl arrives. 😊

Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    Gah! Had to buy myself a late Xmas present: a shawl in linen/cotton from Oscha--thank you (I think lol) haraya for the recommendation. It looks beautiful, and I am in need of a lighter weight shawl for travel. My current travel scarf is an infinity scarf with hidden pocket and not suitable for a blanket.

I also have a furoshiki + handle on the way from a company in Japan, and may be able to also use the handle with this shawl for a couple of multipurpose items for travel, as the furoshiki can also be a small scarf. Smilie

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay, happy to “help”! (I mean enable) Travel blanket - any recommendations? (I'm in the UK)

I hope you like it @haraya , let me know what you think. Travel blanket - any recommendations? (I'm in the UK)

Was the late-breaking gift action a trip?

Some late-breaking gift action happened at dinner tonight, so I decided to splurge on the blanket - we’ll see how it goes! Travel blanket - any recommendations? (I'm in the UK) Thanks for enabling, Cristina! Travel blanket - any recommendations? (I'm in the UK)

And Kathryn, congrats on falling down the rabbit hole! Just know that some of their linen blends may require breaking in to soften up. There are many Oscha chat/bst groups if you have any questions once your shawl arrives. Travel blanket - any recommendations? (I'm in the UK)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A family gathering actually, where my mom gave me my present. (Which I promptly spent! ) I am actually going on a long trip in January, so I will test out the blanket then!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's here! And I love it! (Got here faster than the backorder notice suggested!)

I wasn't sure what to expect, even with Cristina's excellent description, but it's definitely won a spot in my carry-on for my upcoming trip. I was worried that it would have a dry "hand" with the silk, but it's actually a very nice blend. I see what you mean about "scarf-y", Cristina. Smilie The 72% merino makes it thin, light, and warm, and I think the 28% silk will give it extra strength. It's certainly dense when rolled up in its carry bag, but not at all bulky when worn around the neck. I had to double-check to see that it was folded in half! (i.e. that it unfolds to be blanket-size)

And, this part is just a bonus, but I like the carry sack as it is half mesh, making it easy to stuff the blanket in (less of a balloon effect) and it has webbing pull straps on both the side and bottom, similar to a TB duffle/Aeronaut. Good design is so cool.

I might stop at the fabric store some time and see if I can get some bright, contrasting velvet ribbon to sew on the ends to make it more visible - it's so low-profile that I worry I will leave it on my airplane seat, haha. I like it so much I might just keep it by my desk at home when I'm not traveling! (I do not need another color. I do not need another color. #repeat Big Grin)

Thanks again for the rec, Cristina!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Yay, happy to “help”! (I mean enable) Travel blanket - any recommendations? (I'm in the UK)

I hope you like it @haraya , let me know what you think. Travel blanket - any recommendations? (I'm in the UK)

Was the late-breaking gift action a trip?

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yay! I’m so happy you like it @haraya! Great observation about the stuff sack pull straps.

I completely agree about the possibility of leaving it behind somewhere. This was one reason I bought the terracotta, which is an unusual choice for me. The other reason I chose that color is that I was worried about the blue clashing with my navy coat or purple raincoat. If next year they come out with a pink or green, I will also have to start chanting “I do not need another color”! Travel blanket - any recommendations? (I'm in the UK)

Thanks so much for keeping us updated Travel blanket - any recommendations? (I'm in the UK)

It's here! And I love it! (Got here faster than the backorder notice suggested!)

I wasn't sure what to expect, even with Cristina's excellent description, but it's definitely won a spot in my carry-on for my upcoming trip. I was worried that it would have a dry "hand" with the silk, but it's actually a very nice blend. I see what you mean about "scarf-y", Cristina. Smilie The 72% merino makes it thin, light, and warm, and I think the 28% silk will give it extra strength. It's certainly dense when rolled up in its carry bag, but not at all bulky when worn around the neck. I had to double-check to see that it was folded in half! (i.e. that it unfolds to be blanket-size)

And, this part is just a bonus, but I like the carry sack as it is half mesh, making it easy to stuff the blanket in (less of a balloon effect) and it has webbing pull straps on both the side and bottom, similar to a TB duffle/Aeronaut. Good design is so cool.

I might stop at the fabric store some time and see if I can get some bright, contrasting velvet ribbon to sew on the ends to make it more visible - it's so low-profile that I worry I will leave it on my airplane seat, haha. I like it so much I might just keep it by my desk at home when I'm not traveling! (I do not need another color. I do not need another color. #repeat Big Grin)

Thanks again for the rec, Cristina!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small update because I managed to find the scarf I originally used as a point of comparison...

Here’s the Cocoon travel blanket in its own stuff sack, vs. my scarf in a Size 1 TSS:

And a comparison of the weave of the two . Cashmere scarf on the left, merino/silk blanket on the right. They are about the same length, and similar in bulk, but the blanket is three times as wide as the scarf.

And, one more option for a travel blanket - I saw that this wrap was on sale on Nordstrom.com. Good price for cashmere and if you have Nordstrom notes (their frequent-flyer program) you can apply them to your purchase:

Halogen colorblock cashmere wrap

(not as helpful for UK folks, but I thought it might be useful for US-ians!)

Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Oh yay! I’m so happy you like it @haraya! Great observation about the stuff sack pull straps.

I completely agree about the possibility of leaving it behind somewhere. This was one reason I bought the terracotta, which is an unusual choice for me. The other reason I chose that color is that I was worried about the blue clashing with my navy coat or purple raincoat. If next year they come out with a pink or green, I will also have to start chanting “I do not need another color”! Travel blanket - any recommendations? (I'm in the UK)

Thanks so much for keeping us updated Travel blanket - any recommendations? (I'm in the UK)
    Last edited by haraya; 01-11-2020 at 10:50 AM.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @cristina - I'm looking at the website for the terracotta and it looks really red. I know how colors don't always come through well on the computer, but could you share a picture of your wrap? TIA

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3