Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel blanket - any recommendations? (I'm in the UK)

Hi! Having just spent a freezing day with the heating broken at work, I am in the market for a truly warm, thermal-type compact travel blanket that I can throw on in the office (I run a small branch library in a 'temporary' building that over the last thirty years has become permanent, so insulation is not great, though the heaters are fine when they work!) or in the car. I am in the UK, so ideally am looking for something I can get over here. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?
    Last edited by Antonia; 12-09-2019 at 11:50 AM.
    So many bags. And I love them all.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our house is pretty cold and we use either a poncho style garment or literally climb into a sleeping bag! Or both, for those times when you want to be super cosy Smilie
    I like a fleece poncho e.g. Patagonia synchilla or equivalent, he likes the synthetic blanket type e.g. thermarest honcho poncho.
    Thermarest also do lightweight synthetic camping blankets which might suit your needs. I had one of their Argo blankets but settled on the poncho version in the end.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! I will check out the Patagonia poncho and Thermarest blankets! Big Grin You're reminding me I have a Marks & Spencer shawl lurking in the back of the cupboard. Big Grin That would be ok for work, but with winter coming I should probably have something in the car too.

Forum Member
    Buffalo, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Thermarest's blankets are as good as their travel pillows, it'll be perfect for you. Great brand.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the endorsement! I'm investigating the options. Big Grin

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shawl, perfect!

For the car, I don't like to leave anything expensive in there, so we have a motley assortment of grubby blankets, my old sleeping bag, some cheap fleece hats and gloves etc. For really cold weather car use, I add an old parka I bought off eBay:
    Parka - Buffalo
    or these are similar https://www.montane.co.uk/mens-c1/cl...eme-jacket-p51
    Both brands last forever and come up often second hand on eBay.
    Not very practical for the office, or cool looking for around town, but awesome for that horrible moment you realise you're stuck someplace waiting for help.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a small throw sized goose down blanket that stuffs into a zippered pillow like bag (Eddie Bauer Brandi, and it stays in our vehicle in the winter. It would definitely keep your lap and legs warm at work.

Alabama
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seconded on an old sleeping bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Germany
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A sleeping bag might be awkward when you’re around library users... Wink Is it just your office that is cold or also the public services areas? In my current library it’s always too warm, but at my old place of work it was quite cold too from time to time. I have a big cashmere wool mix stole I bought in Scotland years back, it’s my winter scarf and works as a small blanket at the same time. And it looks great! I also wore wool wristwarmers from time to time (so I could still type).

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that keeps me warm and is also stylish is a "Clapotis" shawl that my stepmother knitted for me. It folds up small and I always take it on trips as an extra travel blanket in case. Google Clapotis scarf and you'll get to the pattern on Ravelry. But in general a fine knitted shawl that is stretchy (that's the beauty of this one in particular) can be a great addition. Love the idea of the down blanket as well.

Forum Member
    Munich, Germany
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
    a 'temporary' building that over the last thirty years has become permanent
    I thought this was really funny until I realized I've worked in the same situation... twice!

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    At home, I love a down throw. While it travels well because it can be stowed in a stuff sack, it's not really multifunctional.

For travel, I love a genuine Pashmina. The ones made of wool, cashmere, or a wool and silk blend are warm and stylish. The wide ones can be used as a lap blanket, draped over your shoulders, or folded and worn as a scarf.

The Scottish tartan plaid scarves can be used just like the Pashmina if you get a wide one.

If I needed to leave something at the office, a fleece throw or poncho would work.

Imitation Pashmina or imitation Scottish tartans are usually made of fleece or another synthetic fabric. I find that they aren't as light or as warm, although they do come in a wide variety of colors and patterns. elisa

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You asked for blanket recommendations, but I'd also suggest a base layer. A silk "long underwear" top and pant set is warm and very lightweight. Merino wool sets come in different thicknesses and are also warm and cozy.

Modern base layers made of synthetic fabric or the new rayon, modal, or tencel fabrics are nice, too. They usually have a smooth finish so your clothing will glide over it without bunching or tugging.

My favorites are silk and/or merino for traveling. Modal or merino at home. Synthetics for sports and outdoor activities. Thicker merino for colder weather.

A base layer really makes a difference. elisa

Edited to correct spelling.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that it helps to keep your extremities warm... so merino socks and merino fingerless mitts if I'm sitting somewhere chilly doing desk work for a while
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with the merino base layers for the first line of defense!

For actual travel, for me the "blankets" that have the highest warmth-to-weight ratio are scarves or shawls with a high percentage of cashmere/wool. I have had good luck with end-of-season sales.

If I had the space at work to stash a small blanket/throw:

Rumpl has puffy travel blankets - either down or synthetic.

This company - Oscha Slings - is known for fabrics that are used for babywearing but they can also be used as shawls (search by the fiber - wool or lambswool or cashmere - then choose a size: shawl, or size 2). They also sell actual blankets/throws (I like the cashwool versions). Or if they are running a preorder, it is possible to order a blanket in wrap fabric (thinner than the throws).
    Last edited by haraya; 12-17-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast