Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Indiana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbcamp View Post
    Tom, how about a small razor case?
    My brain immediately went to Q-Kit, but the small is only 5.9" long...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been traditional wet shaving for the better part of 10 years since I found a couple of Schick injector razors at my mom's house. Some Random observations:
    1. Feather DE blades are the sharpest but Astra SPs are almost as sharp and more more forgiving re nicks/weepers and sub optimum technique. I use the
    blades 3x. Life is short and they are cheap under .35 per blade when you buy in bulk (50+) online.

2. Art of Shaving Shaving Oil may not be the cheapest but it is certainly an excellent product.

3. It is tough to beat old school sensitive skin Barbersol for cream in a can.

4. Concur re traveling with a a DE, injector or true "straight" razor unless you check the bag.

5. I have found Harry's to give me nearly as good a shave as a shave with astra blades while virtually eliminating nicks. Harry's says they can be
    used 8x. I go 5 and move on. Life is too short. I can save money elsewhere in my life.

6. Nivea sensitive skin and Lubriderm unscented 3 in 1 are both excellent aftershave balms.

7. You can decant whatever toiletries product you need in contact lense cases.

FWIW

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a woman who is now a lot more conscious about what she consumes, and also enjoys saving money and sticking it to big corporations who like to put a 'pink tax' on women's products, back in the spring I switched from the usual disposable women's razors to a Merkur long-handled safety razor. I went for that model because it seemed to be the one a lot of women bloggers and vloggers recommended. I was a bit terrified at first, convinced I'd perform some sort of accidental amputation, but it's absolutely fine. I have saved SO MUCH money and plastic, and I find it gives a better shave as well. I'll never go back to disposables. I'm still working on the original tiny box of blades I got with my razor back in March. It's weird that I had never considered using a steel razor before. I guess the idea of them being 'for men' was so deeply ingrained by advertising that it never occurred to me that it makes no difference what gender you are!
    So many bags. And I love them all.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I first started shaving with a safety razor and then migrated to disposibles. Don’t remember why/how I stumbled onto it but it was a men’s forum discussing shaving that sent me back to safety razors. The closeness of the shave is so much better!
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting topic -- I'd never heard about the one-blade razors!

At home I use a Gillette Bostonian safety razor, something I picked up at an estate sale. Though it was made in the 1920s, it looked like new when I got it and it shaves well. I also have a Merkur. I've been using Feather blades, but will try the Astra SPs based on comments here.

When I travel, I usually take a Gillette Mach 3 I bought in Copenhagen when I discovered I'd left home without a razor. It works well enough, and replacement blades seem to be ubiquitous.

Forum Member
    Mississauga, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran a few “mock travel” shave experiments over the holidays.

I got my best result with plain old hair conditioner (and my Mach 3). Worked equally well with cold water before shower, or hot water after shower. On my next trip I may leave the travel brush and shave stick at home.

Only downside is the conditioner doesn’t give you a strong visual cue as to where you’ve shaved.

Manhattan. I haven't flown on a plane since the '90s.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been "wet shaving" for decades now.

I'm sure I could do a better job of it. I look longingly at the the new universe of manly-man shave brushes and fancy razors and oils and lotions and picture myself in my grandfather's era, with a delightful morning routine that involves fresh hot coffee, newspaper, and a leisurely shave.

But then reality sets in. It's 2020, I work insane shifts, and I never seem to have more than 90 seconds to shave.

And I never seem to have my act together enough to actually shop for all of these accessories, and always end up just picking up the same two-blade disposable razors at the drug store (FIXED head, not pivot -- I hate the pivot -- fixed head gives me far more control as I "man-scape" around my mustache).

Plus -- I don't use shave creams or gels. They really gum up the drain pipes in my bathroom sink. I just lather up my face with regular soap (Dove. In pink. Don't judge me.).

Worse, I don't even bother with fancy aftershave lotion anymore. I'm using -- gulp -- SKIN BRACER. And I like it.

There. I admitted it. I'm officially in "old man" territory.

Pretty soon I'll be eating dinner at 4pm.

Forum Member
    Mississauga, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. I did the whole DE razor, fancy soaps, brushes thing a few years ago. It was fun for a bit but became a chore.

Now it’s just my Mach 3 and Cremo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2