Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wet Shaving - Less Waste, Simple, and Fun

I found forum posts from throughout the years with none recent in two or three years and wanted to reopen the occasionally discussed topic for any more insights or experiences plus share my journey. In past several years shaving for me went from something to do to something fun to do.

Started out being a disposables and can shaving cream shaver. Didnít like having to always buy cans of cream so tried just water (internet said skin will adjust in time), that lasted 2-3 months out of my stubbornness and cheapness. Read about wet shaving. Liked the soap and brush lathering idea. Bought cheap synthetic shave brush and puck of Williams shaving soap. Learned Williams soap likes hot water and lots of it before I was able to get a great foam. Played around with Dr Bronner bar and liquid soap as shaving cream and found them to be tolerable, but not the best. Puck of Williams lasted me about 50 shaves. ($0.02 per shave, a win)

Shaved with disposables and shave soap for 2-3 years. Looked further into safety razors. They didnít sound too safe to me. The idea of the hybrid single blade with flexible head made sense as a transition to safety razor. Leaf razor and Onebladeshave were the short list. The Leaf razor has magnets to hold blades and lots of little parts plus user had to break the razor blades in half to use them. Nope, that sounded more dangerous than facial bloodletting of safety razor shaving. The Onebladeshave was a simpler design, but blades were $1 a piece versus other blades at 10 cents. Bought the onebladeshave. First shave stroke wondered if it was doing anything. It was. Doesnít clog with whiskers like 2-3 blade disposables. Get about 10 shaves per blade (about 6 on one side then flip over for another couple quality shaves). Their marketing says 2-3 shaves per blade. I am comparing it to cheap disposablesí performance. The chaotic marketing of their sales pricing programs make blades and items fraction the price of normal list price so I donít fear saying per shave price is $0.05 or bit less for me. Now Iím using their branded shaving cream. Like cream over Williams solely for not requiring the 10 min puck soaking time. Now it is just getting brush soaked with hot water, add cream, lather, shave.

So now I shave with shave brush whipped shaving cream, a single blade flex head razor, have a lot less waste, have a lot less to buy, and shaving is a fun time for me with added benefit of the best shave closeness than I have ever had with disposables. Maybe some time in the future I'll try safety razor shaving.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switched to safety razors for legs about 3 years ago from options like the Venus multi-blade razors. I bought a middle of the pack razor and tend to favor blades a little on the higher-end. And I just use hair conditioner as my "cream" option.

Agree, the cost of good safety blades is still waaaaay lower than the Venus or similar blades and, even better, the shave is so much closer. One reason is the blades are so cheap that I'm open to switching them out pretty quick. With Venus, I made those blades stretch because they were so expensive.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Germany
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a MŁhle razor together with my bar of skin soap. Very low maintenance and very little waste. Iíve recently bought a real solid shaving cream, but Iíve yet to try it. I also really like sugaring (done professionally). Thatís also a low waste option...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    I switched to safety razors for legs about 3 years ago from options like the Venus multi-blade razors.
    Do you think nicks and cuts on the skin are more or worse with the safety razor than multi-blade cartridges? I'm not sure if my fear factor of "oh, you'll cut yourself so much that your face will look horrible" is from reading a few bad experiences or it is an information campaign by the much more profitable disposable shaver industry to keep selling product.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never nicked myself with Venus — but I also never got a close shave either. I occasionally nick myself with a safety razor but it’s infrequent. I’m usually in a hurry and get sloppy. The nicks are so small they don’t hurt and hardly bleed. Maybe it’s different with legs vs face, since the latter has more curves.

The OneBlade looks essentially like a modern safety razor, though, so if you shave okay with it, then you’d do fine with a traditional safety razor. Since you already have the OneBlade, I’m not sure you’d gain anything by moving to a traditional safety razor
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switched to wet shaving early this summer with a Grim Blades straight razor and I'll never go back! Shaving has become a fun, meditative, almost zen experience. I find myself so focused and in the moment while shaving now. I also really love that the straight blade razor is the last shaving blade I'll ever need to buy!

The fears over cutting your face up badly are vastly overblown, in my opinion. I've cut myself here and there with the straight razor, but it's almost always because I have a lapse in my focus or the blade isn't sharp enough and catches on my face. As long as you're paying attention, you shouldn't really cut yourself very often.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree that nicking also has occurred more when the blade is a little dull. When it’s new, I’ve never nicked. I only use a blade a few times before replacing it. It’s so cheap to do so.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    so if you shave okay with it, then youíd do fine with a traditional safety razor. Since you already have the OneBlade, Iím not sure youíd gain anything by moving to a traditional safety razor
    Of the 4-5 months I have shave with the onebladeshave, the first time I nicked myself was last week. It was in a hurry and out of stupidity going fast I nicked an edge of lip when shaving sideways under nose. Completely avoidable if I went half speed nor rushed. I would have likely done the same injury if it was a disposable.

The only thing I gain going to safety razor over the onebladeshave is blade cost. Most blades are 10 cents each vs onebladeshave at a 1 dollar per blade list price. Add there chaotic marketing and pricing though and the real cost per blade is 25 cents or under. (Their pricing makes me glad TB never has sales; no idea how or why they swing product costs down to 25% of list with sales plus rewards regularly)

As @darknova306 mentioned "meditative experience" shaving, the compromise of the flexible head single blade razor was a stepping stone to safety razor as now I focus on the shaving versus something to just get done. The flex gave me safety if I pushed too hard or got handle angle wrong. Two problems that don't exist when one is observant. I also now understand why the posts on shaving forums and youtube influencers have multiple razors, blade types, creams, soaps, brushes, brush stands, razors stands, and everything else. A series of fun experiments

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went wet about 15 years ago. After a couple of butterfly opening razors, I looked longingly at the ultra-manly art of shaving with a straight razor but, sensibly, ended up with Merkur's Big Guy double edge razor. I don't give a fig about saving money or any of these other worthy motivations. Using my badger brush, Italian menthol cream, and my dual edge is a luxurious, zen-like interlude, ten minutes of detachment from the world while every muscle and fiber are concentrated solely on not leaking blood. Traveling is a different story, though, I just pack my ancient Norelco triple-head, multi-volt electric. As you might imagine, wet shaving is a curious niche and there are numerous online forums and discussion areas for all fans of wet shaving, men and women.

My razor is the red beast at the top. Huge. Heavy. Dead simple, three parts.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ct=mrc&uact=8#

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other issue with safety razors when traveling is airport security. I forgot it one time. The TSA agent had to dispose of all the blades.

Forum Member
    Mississauga, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For many years I detested shaving. I went through the Edge gel goop and electric razor phase. I got tired of shelling out for expensive cartridges, so started looking at Harry’s Shave Club. That got me onto DE shaving. It turned a chore into something fun.

That said, it’s a learning curve. I had to go through a lot of sample blades before I found one that worked for me (Gillette 7 O’Clock). Soaps and creams can become an obsession, and I have way too many of them. I finally settled on Stirling Soap Coconut Lime. My biggest learn: Shave AFTER you shower.

Shopping for supplies can be a challenge. Most brick and mortar stores don’t sell the DE gear anymore (in Canada, anyway). In europe and asia, these items are still in wide use. It’s why many DE blades are manufactured in India.

In recent years, I’ve gravitated back to a cartridge razor (Mach 3) and Cremo shave cream for convenience. I love Cremo ... just a dab and rub it into your beard. Shame it’s not available in Canada.

I never traveled with my DE kit. Didn’t want the CATSA/TSA grief. Normally it would be my Mach 3, and a small GoToob of Cremo. Recently, I started flying with no liquids. In that case, I carry an Edwin Jagger travel brush. Super small, and unscrews back into it’s own container. For soap, I use a Palmolive shave stick. Again, not easy to find.

Sometimes I’ll forego the wet shave kit for traveling, and bring a Norelco Electric travel shaver. Takes 2 AA batteries. Not as close as wet shaving, and gives a bit of razor burn, but much more conveniennt.

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite blades are Feather (Japan) and Astra (Russia). Many dual edge blades are made in Israel, too.

Interesting topic to discuss with men, shaving. When I converted to wet shaving, I proselytized. Waste of time and got me into trouble with some friends. We tend to shave how our fathers shaved and we get terribly defensive very quickly.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I travel full time, DE shaving isn't an option. For years I used shaving oil. It gave me a decent shave but the blades didn't last as long as they should.

I tried every cartridge razor out there but the only one that gives me a good shave is the Gillette Fusion 5.

Now I travel with that, a travel shave brush from Omega and a Lea Shave Stick. The stick lasts about three months and comes with a travel holder and case.

In the past I traveled with a Panasonic battery shaver. It gave a very good shave but did a number on my face.

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Denver, CO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been wet shaving for many years, have used English creams, Trumpers, Taylors, etc... use Proraso Eucalyptus with Custom Shavemac Silvertip Badger with Mergress XL DE and Israeli Persona Blades... every week, use Feather AC RG Straight Razor. When traveling, use Sensor XL Cryo or Mach 3. Aloe Vera Gel has been my after shave and sun savior for many years, face even with lots of sun exposure, still intact... always wear a hat and sunglasses. Find what works for you re: wet shaving and enjoy. And give your face/parts a rest once in a while.

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a beard, and have since I was in college. But a few years ago I started shaving my neck for neatness, and got into wet shaving then. I use a double-edged blade and Cremo. Sometimes for travel I take a disposable and a dry stick of razor soap I found in the supermarket, but frankly, I‘d rather check a bag. Started with a Merkur razor, but recently found my father’s old razor and now use it.(he ditched it for an electric razor in the 1970‘s!) Far superior. I had to experiment to find the right blades, and now use Feather. As many have said already, nicks happen, but mostly with dull blades or poor focus. Buy a cheap septic stick, it stops bleeding quickly.

Tom, how about a small razor case?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast